Control IQ vs. Sleep mode

So about one month on the Tandem and I have to say its impressive relative to control, rarely go low or out of range. I’ve noticed tight control while in sleep mode and curious as to why I wouldn’t run in sleep 24/7. Look for insights from Tandem users with more experience.

1 Like

There is a good recent discussion here

Quite a few of us here, including myself, are in the 24/7 (except when I enable exercise mode) sleep mode category. I don’t care for the default mode. 160 is fear too late to act to prevent a high, in my opinion.

If you listened to their Facebook live presentation right before it was released, they said very openly that many of their trial participants chose that route, too. I think they were were trying to plant the seed that it’s a viable option for those of us looking for tighter control.

The only real downside is that you technically lose the ability to auto-bolus to correct a high, but the more-aggressive basal adjustment in sleep mode renders that moot. You still get the benefit, they just call it a basal adjustment instead of a bolus.

1 Like

Definitely works better for me in full time sleep mode.
I adjusted the settings so that it is far more agressive and it works really good for me considering it is a commercially available program.

1 Like

I’m in sleep mode all the time too for a month now.
I found I was making corrections manually anyway because I didn’t want to wait for the software to do it. I have better control with it now.
I’m hitting 95-100 percent in range
My average glucose is 104 for the month.
Last month on regular control iq I was averaging 127.

1 Like

I used sleep mode one day. Got soooo low after bolusing for lunch. Never again. I just do small blouses if I’m in the 130-160 range. A lot safer and faster than running @ higher basal.

If you were low, it’s because your settings are wrong. Control-IQ can only work with the information you feed it. Your correction factor is too low. Some people intentionally do this to make the system more aggressive, but renders it incapable of preventing lows. How is that safer?? You can run whatever basal you want with the right correction factor, Control-IQ will suspend what you don’t need SAFELY.

1 Like

My settings are fine when the pump is used as it is intended. My a1 c went to 6.2 with 85%in range and less than 1% hypo.

Did you try sleep mode just at night?
When used during day, with IOB from meals, it can lead to lower or higher than expected BGs.

Of course, I use it every night. But extra basal to maintain a tighter range during the day may require less mealtime correction insulin. That’s why control iq does not give the automatic corrections during sleep mode. My ISF and IC ratio are perfect. I feel no need to mess with them so I can run sleep mode while awake.

I feel like there’s a lot of confusion here.

Control-IQ in sleep mode doesn’t equal higher basal. All sleep mode does is adjust the range in which it takes action. It does adjust your basal, but not necessarily increase it. And IOB doesn’t matter. Control-IQ adjusts any automated insulin delivery taking IOB into account. If you’re getting abnormal results, it simply means that something is wrong in your settings. Control-IQ CANNOT over-deliver insulin unless you’ve programmed a setting which allows it to, no matter the mode you’re operating in.

I’m not saying sleep mode is right for everyone, though. We’ve got a limited access to information on how our bodies work. We do our damnedest to tweak the settings to make the imperfect models of our pumps line up with ourselves. If your “wrong” combination is working for you, great. Don’t change it. But there is an inherent problem in there if you can’t comfortably operate in the narrow 110-120 range without seeing excessive swings. It might not make a difference to you now, but it likely will in the near future as they upgrade the Control-IQ software.

I’ve been talking a lot with Tandem staffers lately because I’m trying to get in on the beta testing stage. Control-IQ has been widely well-received, but it was targeted to bring people up from the average 57% TIR to the ADA recommended 70%. And it’s proving fabulous at that. The second biggest negative feedback they hear, though, is that it’s not good enough. We want 100% TIR. They’re missing a big portion of the market share who know they can already do that on their own.
The more they try to reign in control, the more the idiosyncrasies of our settings are going to start to show. (The single biggest complaint is moot, because people don’t understand why they locked the DIA at 5 hours.)

1 Like

I have managed to tweak it enough to get my tir to 95-100.
I can def do it by being extremely attentive, but I really wanted a system that could do it without much input.
It’s doing that now and I’m very happy with it.
I only wish I could simply put my own settings in there. To get better control I have to mess with my sensitivity and basal rates to get range I’m wanting.
It’s doable, but really I don’t see the point of restricting it so much. I can set my basal rate to anything I want. But I can’t change my range. It’s a little odd.

1 Like