Covid-19 Nightmare

Where I live the two hospitals are filled with unvaccinated people. Those without covid who need emergency care, are at times turned away. I am well aware that being vaccinated I could still get covid, and that is why I am as careful as I can be. Most vaccinated folks who get the Delta variant don’t get as ill, although some do.

I live in an extremely conservative state where most, not all, but most unvaccinated people also believe in conspiracy theories which also harm our society. Unvaccinated people in our town won’t wear masks to protect themselves and others. They think that vaccinated people are fools. Some also believe that Democrats eat children. Some in the legislature brought in a group of children and burned masks with them, because masks do no good.

My husband and I don’t go anywhere because we don’t want to get sick. The medical staffs at the hospitals are begging people to get vaccinated.

I don’t blame all unvaccinated people, because some can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons, but

3 Likes

Sitting in Montgomery County MD (home of one of the lowest infection rates in the world throughout the delta variant because we have mask laws and sky-high vaccination rate) it was easy to look at the situation in Florida/Alabama/Mississippi last month and say it’s a nightmare caused by their dumb politicians banning mask bans and discouraging vaccination.

That said, Florida seems to have “burned through” the delta variant in the SE US and now things have settled down. Their death rate in hospitalized patients is still high because that lags infections by a month or more.

1 Like

Weird I did not repost this. Ok, something I was writing a few days ago, accidentally got posted a few minutes ago.

Not sure what’s going on with the TuD platform, @Marilyn6, but I’ve had some difficulty sending a private message to someone. Interesting that your unintended comment immediately follows a clever spam comment that I flagged.

Yes, very strange indeed.

Have to wonder: what’s the matter with Alaska?!?

In my more pissed off moments, I think that people have a choice whether or not to get vaccinated because they might not believe in vivid or the vaccine. But if people choose not to believe in Covid, don’t go to the hospital asking to be treated for it.

But usually I’m more charitable.

Edit: also, if I actually GOT Covid, the temptation to attend anti-masker/anti-vaxxer rally would be hard to resist.

The larger problem is that people come to the hospital sick, but claim it is not Covid…and that the doctors and nurses are lying to them.

It isn’t as simple as it would seem.
It’s also not just back wood uneducated people who fall into that.

There are many Covid people here in losangeles who come to the hospitals and insist they don’t have Covid and they need to be treated for something else.

1 Like

It’s almost like the relatively higher and more uniform (i.e., not as concentrated in cities vs swaths of mostly unvaccinated in rural areas) vaccination rates in the Northeast didn’t stop Delta but did that whole “flatten the curve” thing that was the entire goal in 2020. And while stopping Delta would have been nice (and probably required close to a 90% vaccination rate), flattening the curve is no small feat especially in the face of a nursing shortage.

2 Likes