Cumin-Crusted Sirloin

Wow. I repeat, wow!

Tonight I strutted my stuff bigtime. Publix had top sirloin on sale for $3.99/lb, so I bought a huge 3.5 lb steak – two inches thick and beautiful! Coated it with kosher salt, cumin, mustard flour, smoked paprika, & cracked black pepper. Rub on a little canola oil, sear ludicrously 4-5 minutes per side, then pop into a 400º oven for 10 minutes. It came out crusty, medium-done inside, and juicy like you wouldn’t believe. Let the meat rest 5 minutes, and then sliced into thin, tender, gloriously beefy slices. I served the sirloin with caramelized red onions that I cooked in the post-sear steak juices.

In retrospect, I recommend using something a little spicy. Maybe a few red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce rubbed on before the spices. Still, it was damn tasty. I might eat the leftovers with some good horseradish mustard.

I roasted a butternut squash. (400º for 45 minutes, drizzled with olive oil & sprinkled with kosher salt and pumpkin pie spice.) I also roasted red potatoes with vidalia onions and carrots. (400º for an hour; salt, pepper, five spice powder, and the remainder of my dry spices from the steak.)

Last, but not least, we had a fresh arugula salad with thinly sliced red onions and thick, hearty slices of Irish brown barley bread that I toasted in the oven for a few minutes.

I think I’ll be full for a week.