1 16oz pkg baby spinach leaves
1/3 cup annatto oil
1/4 cup Luscious Soy paste
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp smoked paprika
zest & juice of 1 lemon
kosher salt
black pepper

In a small bowl, I puréed the roasted garlic. (Same technique as in the Honey Mango Chicken, meaning I squished it thoroughly with a fork.) I added the cumin, paprika, soy paste, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and lemon zest. I stirred to blend it together, then added the annatto oil a little at a time.

At this point I stopped. I put the steaks & the above mixture into a freezer bag, kneaded it to evenly coat all the steaks, and chucked it in The Big Freeze. If you’re not preparing this for future use, you can bag it, knead it, and put it in the fridge to marinate for an hour or two.

Make sure the meat reaches room temperature prior to cooking. Shake off as much marinade as possible, leaving any leftover marinade in the bag to be used later. Salt each side of the steak, and sear over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes per side. Unless your pan is massive, you’ll want to cook two steaks at a time. Set the cooked steaks aside to rest.

In the same pan, sauté the onion over medium-high heat. Add kosher salt & black pepper, but remember the marinade already has both salt & pepper in it. Once the onion softens and begins to brown, add about 1/2 cup of the leftover marinade. Bring to high heat. Once it begins to bubble, stir to deglaze the pan. If it doesn’t thicken to your liking, you can use a little corn starch as a thickener. Mix it with a little water prior to adding to the pan, and keep stirring until thickened.

Spoon the onions & sauce over the steaks. Can be served with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, roasted butternut squash, or a fresh herb salad. Entirely up to you.