D-Blog Week 2012: One Great Thing

Living with diabetes (or caring for someone who lives with it) sure does take a lot of work, and it’s easy to be hard on ourselves if we aren’t “perfect”. But today it’s time to give ourselves some much deserved credit. Tell us about just one diabetes thing you (or your loved one) does spectacularly! Fasting blood sugar checks, oral meds sorted and ready, something always on hand to treat a low, or anything that you do for diabetes. Nothing is too big or too small to celebrate doing well! Oh boy, today's D-Blog Week topic is tough. I know for a fact that I'm not the "perfect" diabetic nor the "perfect" patient, whatever those notions mean. I can, for sure, do all the things diabetes-related "by the book", but not continuously. And once I slip up, it's so easy to fall of the wagon completely. So I really find it difficult to keep motivated. But wait, that's tomorrow's post. Today I am supposed to pat myself on the back. Or give myself a hug. Or whatever :).

But still, I won't praise me today :). We all are awesome at some diabetes-related stuff, be that carb-guessing, low treating, juggling exercise and blood sugar. Sometimes it happens that I do all that, but I'm definitely not mastering any of these arts. So the praise today goes to my husband, who's awesome at being a great Type 3.

He's there for me, not being intrusive, because I can very much take care of my own diabetes, thank you. But he senses when I'm not doing things right and his help is needed. So when he's asking "Do you have something for lows?" when we're about to go out the door, I most certainly have no glucose tablets or juice on me. Or when I'm very focused on getting my hands on a treat, he's always making me test first, because most certainly I'm high. He's patient with me when I'm bitchy-low and when I'm stressing out over a high, or a too high A1c, or whatever, he's the one telling me that everything will be alright. Back in the day when I considered diabetes my "shameful" secret, and I couldn't bring myself to talk about it with people, he was my advocate: explaining patiently about diabetes to friends or strangers. He has inspired my day-to-day philosophy regarding diabetes: act on it and move on. He's my number one supporter.

P.S. Click for the One Great Thing - Tuesday 5/15 Link List.