D Mindgames I play, and D Lies I Tell Myself

After ignoring my diabetes for a short while, some years ago I finally decided it was time to quit pretending I was superman, and finally deal with it on an, um, more regular basis. I have always tried my best to never look backwards, and the same is true today. I am only looking forward, to the future. No rear-view mirrors allowed. But there are still those days. You know ‘those days’, right? Yea, I thought so.

After a less-than-awesome d experience, I decided that it would be good to journal my feelings about diabetes in order to help me deal with the emotional aspects of this oh so personal disease.

This morning I wrote the first entry . . . Dear diabetes, “Sometimes I need what only you can provide -- your absence.” So just for today, get lost will ya!?!?

OK, so there really is no journal, but I thought it was kind of funny.

One thing I've noticed that I do is tell myself little lies, to help me rationalize the number of irrational things I do as I go about the task of managing d.

So allow me to present, "d Mind-games I play, and d Lies I Tell Myself" to help me manage all the cruddy stuff we all deal with.

a bent canula, (especially one that ends up looking like a left-over knot from an overachievers-only Boy Scout competition) is never my fault.

I always drink plenty of water, at lease eight glasses a day, so my body is always properly hydrated. And that dry, flaky skin place on my arm? It's only there because the water is obviously defective.

also, I've been fairly successful in convincing myself that my Diet Dr Pepper is really milk.

being low all the time is just a sign of good, tight control, and something all D's should be envious of. NOT!!!

those finger callouss are only temporary, and any lack of them means I am "adjusting" to testing 12 or more times a day.

working out strenuously for 2 hours when I am at 105 and not adjusting my pump's basil rate or having a small snack won't result in being low

running my pump reservoir down to half a unit while trying to catch a plane and eating an airport vendor's carb-loaded sandwich will 'work out', 'cuz the high altitude and resulting thin air work together to hold down my bg level (ok, even I'm not stupid enough to believe that one! Everyone knows that thin air alone is enough to do the trick!)

my internet connection works way better when I squirt a little insulin on the fiber every so often.

trying to think of more of these lies at 12:15 at night will result in an interesting post. HA!

OK, just one more thing . . .

I have a pretty good system worked out for making sure I'm getting good test results. I'm not one to usually push my system on other people, but perhaps it might help you to achieve better numbers as well. Here is what I do. If I see a test that doesn't seem to be where I want it to be, I do a second test, and reference my backup meter. I'm not sure why, but it always gives me a good result. Every single time. No matter what. Guaranteed.

Below is a screen shot of what it looks like: