Deal with weak phase 1 response by eating small amount and then waiting for full meal when phase 2 starts?

I have an A1c of 5.1, but I want it to be around 4.8. Since my A1c is 5.1, I won’t be able to get medication to help with my weak phase 1 response (ie 2 medium zucchini cream soup creating a 20 pt bg rise at one hour post prandial). I am wondering if it would be possible to maybe eat a very small amount of a food that would start the count down to my phase 2 response kicking in (bg back to normal at 90minutes) without raising my first phase response that much. I could probably do well with the Bernstein 6-12-12 method, but I am curious to see if I could increase my carbs a little by trying to prime my phase 2 response to kick in for the main portion of my meal. Thanks.

The other possibility would be a fiber like Glucomannan taken a half hour before you eat. Some companies have some forms of it they’ve also developed to make it work even better. Natural Factors is one, But you take it a half hour before you eat and it helps keep the spiking after you eat lower. It was developed for type 2’s and to control blood sugars. It slows digestion I think and that might allow your natural insulin response to kick in.

As for pre kicking in by eating a small amount first, that’s easy enough to test to find out. I have a feeling that won’t work if you are relying on your own insulin production. Because your body naturally only makes what it needs. So it wouldn’t release more earlier just because?

Thanks for answering, Marie20. “So it wouldn’t release more earlier just because?” I wasn’t envisioning the phase 2 insulin releasing earlier. I was thinking of eating a little portion of something that would slowly increase my blood sugar so that the phase 2 response would eventually be triggered. Once it was triggered, I would eat the main portion of my meal. So my meal would be staggered in a way that hopefully would allow me to eat a little more carbs and a little more volume of food. For me to get an A1c of 4.8 with no medication, just exercise and food, I may need to be strict Bernstein 6 -12-12, which I am willing to do if I can’t game my insulin.

You may also want to try Chromium Picolinate with your main meal. Although I am on Insulin, when I take Chromium Picolinate my after meal BG stays flatlined and it has enabled me to cut my total insulin use by 25-35% on a weekly basis.

The only thing you want to be careful is that where your BG’s are low to start with, you may find the need to eat candy or ice cream or whatever to keep from going hypoglycemic.

This is what I use and just got a refill a few days ago, however they are currently out of stock. I have seen them out of stock before, but just for a very few weeks. A 1 year supply is about $10 at Amazon.

Thanks for your suggestion, CJ114. What dose do you take of that supplement, and when do you take the dose relative to when you eat- I am the hungriest and eat the most at dinner at 5 pm, so when would I take the supplement- right at the start of my 5 pm meal? Also, are there studies or reports that you could point me to (like Google search terms) so I could read more about this supplement and the mechanism by which it lowers bg?

I found an article by Jenny Ruhl, who I trust. She wrote a lot about that supplement, but concluded with this remark, which seems reasonable: “If you want to test chromium you can buy inexpensive chromium picolinate at the drug store. Try one package and if you don’t see a significant change, you’ll know it isn’t worth investing in.”

1 Like

Sorry, I am not big on studies as everybody can always come up with all the reasons hindsight. I test things out and if they work, fine. If not I discontinue use. Studies are as often wrong as they are right. The pills are tiny and I only eat one meal a day at lunchtime so I take 1 pill about 5 minutes before lunch. It is supposed to be taken with food.

What I can tell you is that you will know if this works for you at the latest by day 2. It is almost instant. I have tested going off and back on a few times because I had a very tough time believing that this could have so much effect. The greatest effect is in the first week to 10 days and then your body gets used to it and the effect drops somewhat. That is why I gave a range of insulin reduction 25% to 35%. The first 2-3 days I need to totally go off of insulin, but over a few weeks’ time, need to increase insulin use, but a lot less being used than when I tested going off the pill. It is really a cheap test and the results for me were so striking that I just could not ignore the results.

If you do test, please report back here as I would really like to know if I am an anomaly or if it helps others as much as it helps me. I tested a bunch of other stuff too, special Ceylon Cinnamons, spices, etc., and did not find any benefits. I am on a Dexcom G6 CGM so recording changes during tests is an easy task for me.

For you, I am not sure if you eat 2 meals a day if you would take 1 pill or 2 but you will most likely find that 1 pill is plenty.

PS find the Carlyle brand as I heard from someone a year ago that they tried another brand and it did not work.

A 40 point rise is normal and fine at 1hr, you are doing great with 20. Relax and worry about something else. If you must lower your a1c from 5.1 to 4.8. You would be looking at a keto/low carb type diet.

1 Like

I am looking at a low carb diet. I follow Dr. Bernstein’s philosophy of trying to normalize blood sugars, so I am going to keep on. I don’t worry about it. I am fascinated by it.

Sorry, but why do you think you have prediabetes? Has a doctor diagnosed it? The definition of prediabetes that I have seen (e.g. Mayo Clinic), is an A1c between 5.7 and 6.4. You are nowhere NEAR that. A rise of 20 mg/dL post prandial is also perfectly normal and not a cause for concern. So why do you even think that your A1c should be 4.8 instead of 5.1 - you know there is normal variance in these test numbers, right?

I mean, eat Bernstein if you want, but I don’t see any problem here that needs to be addressed. Unless there is more to the story that you haven’t told us here.

Diagnosed in 2009 at 5.9. both parents with diabetes- mother totally insulin-dependent. I need to put a caveat before every post- ‘don’t reply unless you agree with the philosophy of reaching for normal blood sugars’.

Hi V: Have you considered getting tested for Type 1 diabetes, since your mother was totally insulin dependent? Type 1 can have an extremely slow onset in adults especially, and yes a low carb diet is an excellent approach. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely request autoantibody testing, full suite, and the c-peptide test. Perhaps you have already done that? Here is a link to a good article on autoantibody testing

Normal blood sugar does not look as normal as you might think. Many people on this site on insulin have flatter glucose patterns than an average non diabetic.
I strive for normal but I don’t always get there.

Hi, V ~ I don’t know about that, but do know that a little exercise while “waiting” should help. My exercising after meals amounts to a “between meal” or “between snack” management method. Increases the insulin sensitivity while decreasing insulin resistance.
This has been most clear to me since I started using my Freestyle Libre CGM 3 years ago. Even a little bit of exertion helps to not only get the BG levels down after any amount of food, but also to keep it from going up too much afterward while eating.

I think I remember reading somewhere years ago that a guy (Type 2?) would do some exercise 20 minutes before a meal and that was his strategy for keeping in range (I don’t remember the details such as insulin usage, exercise intensity etc). I could try that- especially before my dinner which is when I want to eat the most. I’m also thinking that eating a cheese stick like 45 minutes before dinner might be good because maybe that would kickstart a bit of the Phase 2 response? I need to try it out.

I think the main advantage to getting a Type 1 vs a Type 2 diagnosis would be in insurance coverage, correct? I monitor my blood sugar every day, so I won’t be caught off guard if things start to get out of control. Whatever lowered my blood sugar to a normal range is what I would stick with no matter what type I was.

Insurance covers type 2, too.

Yes, I know. But can type 1’s usually get a CGM to be covered by insurance while Type 2’s can’t?

A Type 2 will usually need to be on insulin to have a CGM be covered by insurance.

But you have normal BG, I’m not seeing the issue? “A normal A1C level is below 5.7%, a level of 5.7% to 6.4% indicates prediabetes, and a level of 6.5% or more indicates diabetes”
A single test of 5.9% could indicate you were just prediabetic. Or a hiccup or lab error? In any case, you have resolved this and well within normal range, at 5.1%. You wish to be even lower and 4.8%? Your phase one is normal and fine, with a 20 point rise.

It’s not what you want to hear, but I don’t see this as being best for you. I would be talking with your doctor about this, as possibly a kind of anxiety.

1 Like