Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I’m defying gravity
I think I’ll try
Defying gravity
And you won’t bring me down!
bring me down!
ohh ohhh ohhhh!

This song is in the Broadway play, Wicked, but the version I first heard was on Glee. (Wonderful TV show!) I have since downloaded the entire Glee season’s music, this being one of the songs. I have loved this song since I heard it on Glee, and I really didn’t know why. But It really gives a since of freedom and empowerment to me

After listening to it in my car the other day, I kind of related it in a way to Diabetes. Now, I’m not a very good analyzer, and a lot of times, it doesn’t make sense to others, but I’m going to try my best to explain what I mean.

The first verse, to me, talks about stepping out of the box and doing what you think is best. You can’t go back and change what’s already been done, so make the most of your future. It seems that every diabetic comes to this point in their life at some point in time. They get tired of everyone else telling them what a “good diabetic’s” life is and how to live it. They come to realize that what is good for one diabetic doesn’t work for the other and even though the common denominator between the two people is diabetes, we are still individuals with our own form of diabetes. You have to trust your instincts and do what is best for you.

In the second verse, it says “I’m through accepting limits, ‘cause someone says they’re so. Some things I cannot change, but until I try, I’ll never know.” There’s such a stigma put on diabetics that we can’t do this, or that… We can’t eat sweets, we can’t participate in some sports, we can’t drink alcohol, we can’t have children… No, we cannot change the fact that we’re diabetic, but the limits and attitudes we have attached to us we can try to change by letting people know that diabetes isn’t what it was thought to be many years ago. And if it weren’t for people trying…. trying to eat foods, drink drinks, be active, and most important to me – having children, we would never know that it would be possible for us as well.

The next part is about losing love. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I have experienced this part myself. It is a deep hurt when you have friends, or worse yet, a boyfriend/girlfriend that doesn’t accept your diabetes, especially when you are a teenager trying to find out who you really are. For those of us who weren’t popular enough to not have people knocking down your door or following you like a puppy dog to be their friend, it’s hard to find good friends when you’re growing up that won’t tease you or make fun of you because you’re a diabetic. I had these types of friends in elementary/middle school. I tried to hide it. But then I found out about my cousin, who is also a type 1 diabetic, that lost his marriage due to his diabetes. His wife couldn’t handle it. He let his diabetes management take back burner to the marriage so that she’d be more comfortable, and in doing so, he damaged his health. It scared the heck out of me to see him when I was a young tween/teenager – his kidneys shot, on dialysis, all in his late 30’s to early 40’s. To not take care of yourself and hide your diabetes just to have a friendship or marriage is not worth literally killing yourself to make the other person comfortable.

The advancement of diabetes management has come so very far since it was discovered. All because of diabetics, and people influenced by diabetes, defying diabetes gravity. Defying the limits. Defying the old rules to make this a more manageable, less terrible disease. I’m not saying that you must completely ignore all the things you were taught about diabetes and start new, but to take charge – use the knowledge that you have and build upon it by trying new things and finding out what works for you. Control your diabetes, don’t let it control you! Be a PERSON with diabetes, not a DIABETIC person. Defy the limits and take charge of YOUR diabetes.

Sarah, I love this song, and I never thought about it towards diabetes til you posted this. Great post, very encouraging, especially after my experiences this week…see my blog for details, scary stuff. This is just what I needed. Thanks!!

Sarah

I’m often amazed by the power a song can have. This one has obviously deeply touched you. Thanks for the insights.

Terry

My best suggestion: Go get the wicked soundtrack, LOL, the whole album is filled with great music like that! I almost choked when I saw the post, I am actually dangling tickets to see Wicked in front of my 12 y/o D daughters face in order to try and motivate her to get more BG checks and more consistant bolusing in, her control as of late has been aweful, she has had D since she was 11 months old, and is I think burned out from it. I have D as well, along with her older sister, wish me luck trying to find a way to get her back on track,!

Favorite t.v. show EVER!!!

Very deep and emotional, i too agree that we can sometimes feek our emotions in the lyrics of music, and then to be able to put it to something as close to our heart as Diabetes… even better…