Desserts

This recipe is modified from J.R.'s Cookbook (published by the WWE). Goes great with the chocolate gravy (or you can always make your own cream cheese icing by just mixing cream cheese with sweetener to taste).

Cherokee County Carrot Cake
2 cups Splenda (adjust for other sweeteners)
1 1/2 cups oil
4 eggs
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups any low carb flour
3 cups carrots, grated
1/2 cup nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 13x9x2 pan. Mix dry ingredients and add wet ingredients. Fold in carrots and nuts. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool and put Chocolate Gravy or other desired icing on it and serve.

This tasty Mexican dessert was modified from the food network website.

Dulce De Leche
Ingredients
1 quart whole milk
equivalent of 12 ounces or 1 1/2 cups sugar,
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions:
Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a large, 4-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar substitute has dissolved. Once the sugar substitute has dissolved, add the baking soda and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered at a bare simmer. Stir occasionally, but do not re-incorporate the foam that appears on the top of the mixture. Continue to cook for 1 hour. Remove the vanilla bean after 1 hour and continue to cook until the mixture is reduced to about 1 cup, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month.

This recipe was modified from allrecipes.com.

Cooking Level: Intermediate

Churros By: Delia

“These Mexican fritters are very common at fairs. In my border hometown, the line at this stand is always overwhelming. People wait hours in line just to get a taste of these churros. I have run across several recipes but this is the best one by far.”

Prep Time:

10 MinCook Time:

10 MinReady In:

20 Min

Original Recipe Yield 4 servings

Ingredients

1 cup water

equivalent of 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup low carb flour

2 quarts oil for frying

equivalent of 1/2 cup white sugar, or to taste

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1.In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, equivalent of 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms a ball.

2.Heat oil for frying in deep-fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry bag. Fry until golden; drain on paper towels.

3.Combine the equivalent of 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll drained churros in cinnamon and sugar substitute mixture.

I modified this recipe from www.cookingbytheseatofmypants.com to fit low-carb criteria.

Best Ever No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Thursday, February 10, 2011 posted by Jerry 1:06 am
Best Ever No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Ingredients:
•2-1/2 cups Splenda (adjust for other sweeteners)
1/4 cups butter
•3/4 cups 2% milk
•1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
•1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
•4-1/2 cups sesame seeds or other nuts or seeds
•12 ounces unsweetened chocolate
additional sweetener to taste for chocolate
Method:
Combine sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a full boil and boil for a full minute, stirring often.
Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and vanilla and stir until fully incorporated. Add seeds or nuts and stir until mix begins to cool. Spread mixture evenly into a parchment or wax-paper lined sheet pan and set aside until firm (about 1 hour).
Melt chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water or in the microwave. Add sweetener if desired to taste. Pour chocolate over the peanut butter cookies and spread smooth. Refrigerate until set. (about 1/2 hour, but overnight works well.) Cut into 2-inch squares. Store in layers separated with parchment paper in air tight containers for up to 1 week.
Share and Enjoy!

Plain frozen peaches have a grand total of 4 grams cabs per cup, and 2 grams fiber per cup (only 2 grams net carbs), so here’s a cool dessert featuring this tasty fruit. Enjoy!

Peach Parfait
1 cup sliced fresh or frozen peaches, defrosted (make sure the peaches have no addded sugar)
1 cup plain yogurt or sugar free cool whip
sweetener to taste (optional)
some toasted sesame seeds or other seeds/ chopped nuts (optional)
Mix the sweetener with your yogurt if you like. Layer the peaches, yogurt or cool whip, and seeds or nuts in glasses or desssert cups as desired. Dig in and enjoy! Serves 2-4.

PIGNOLi

Pignoli biscuits

185g ground almonds 6 oz. (I used almond meal as it is cheaper)
220g caster sugar 8 oz (substitute sweetener you use - this is a lot of sugar, I would use about 150g)
1 rounded tablespoon plain flour
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
Finely grated rind 1 lime
2 egg whites
about 120g pine nuts 4 oz

Preheat oven to 170C/325-350 Line two baking trays with baking paper. Combine almonds, sugar, flour, vanilla and lime zest in a large bowl. Beat egg whites until fluffy then pour into dry ingredients and beat with hand held mixer until thick. Place teaspoons of the mixture on baking trays and sprinkle pine nuts over the top, leaving space to spread. Bake for about 15 – 20 mins or until golden. Cool on trays for 5 mins before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 34.

These are delicious, rather like a crunchy meringue.

I found this recipe on http://www.lowcarbluxury.com

Key Lime Cheesecake
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup ground almonds (or walnuts, or pecans)
2 Tablespoons Splenda
1 cup boiling water
1 small box (3 oz) lime sugarfree gelatin
(Use Cottee’s Brand for Splenda sweetened version.)
1/2 pint heavy cream
8-oz package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
3 Tablespoons Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice
1 cup Splenda

For Crust: Melt butter in a pie plate. Press in ground nuts mixed with 2 Tablespoons Splenda. Let chill in refrigerator.

Meanwhile, make filling: Mix water with lime sugarfree gelatin. Set in refrigerator to partially set up. In a bowl, whip heavy cream. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, key lime juice, and 1 cup Splenda until smooth. Very lightly mix in partially set lime gelatin. Fold in whipping cream. Pour into pie shell. Chill 2 to 3 hours.

Top with additional whipped cream if desired.

Serves 10 - Carbs per serving: 4.5

This is a dessert I prepared for my son’s birthday. It is a great summertime dessert. You may substitute other fruit if you wish.

Watermelon Pie
For crust:
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sesame seeds, flax seeds, nut flour, etc
5 packets Stevia
Filling:
12 oz heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla
2 packets Stevia
1 package sugar-free jello in apprpriate color, or Knox gelatin (I used strawberry jello since watermelon jello is hard to find)
2 cups mashed watermelon (keep the juice with the pieces of watermelon)
To make crust: melt butter in microwave, then mix with seeds and stevia. Press into pie pan and refrigerate until firm. Meanwhile, whip the cream until it resembles cool whip; add vanilla, stevia and watermelon. Make sure it tastes mostly like watermelon (add 1/2 cup watermelon if it needs it), then put into pie crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into appropriate sized pieces and enjoy.

I tested this recipe yesterday at a bbq. This is guaranteed to fall apart easily and melt in your mouth! Even picky non-diabetics like it. Based on a Lemon Square recipe. Doubles easily. You may make a raspberry sauce or chocolate sauce to go with it if you wish, but it’s very rich by itself.

Raspberry Squares
nonstick cooking spray
1 cup almond meal
equivalent of 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter or oil if you’re in a hurry to make it
2 tbsp water
2 large eggs
1/2 cup freshly mashed raspberries (I just mashed them with my fingers)
1/8 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Coat an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray; set aside. Mix all dry ingredients together, mix in the wet ingredients, then stir in the raspberries. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until it browns and is not wobbly when you shake it gently. Cut into small squares and serve chilled. You may use other berries or fruit if you don’t like raspberries.

Dear Pinkypurse,
I think I am going to try these for the Holidays.
They look great, Thanks!
Debra![|298x400](upload://sp3PCivSs4P5FpQeyc6zLWNwuyW.jpeg)