Dexcom 7

Today I went into the Barbara Davis Center for my CGMS training and was psyched to find out they had just received their first batch of Dexcom 7 loaners (I was expecting to get the 1st gen Dexcom). And, they agreed to let me purchase an extra sensor and keep the loaner for a few weeks!

This is the first CGMS I’ve had experience with, but from what I heard in training vs. the feedback I’ve seen online it sounds like they’ve fixed a lot of issues from the original Dexcom. They mentioned the needles are smaller, the sensors are more accurate, and the alarms are less intrusive. I don’t really have a basis of comparison so I can’t say for sure.

The Dexcom sales rep did say they have an exchange program for people using the original Dexcom. I believe he said for $150 you can exchange the unit and transmitter, and they throw in the software and a free box of sensors. Sounds like a pretty good deal for those of you who have the old version!

If any of you have specific questions about the 7 I’ll be happy to give you my take - just drop me a message. Also, I’ll be posting updates about my new buddy Dex on my blog, so please check it out!