Dexcom on wensday!

yup! Im going to my endo clinic so I can try on the CGMS (DEXCOM) for a wholllleee 7 days. Im pretty excited. I really hope I like it! any advice?

Kenny!
Welcome to the Dexcom club! I have been using it for over two years and wouldn’t want to be without it. My A1C has been below 5.5 since I started using the Dexcom, and I cannot say enough nice things about it. You will find that there is a learning curve (it may take you a while to get used to inserting a news sensor, for example) but you will also find that the Dexcom tech reps are just terrific in walking you through any issues. Would love to hear from you when you have used it for a while.

Kenny
Congratulations for trying the Dexcom. It is a great device to be used with your regular treatment. It is important to check the BS via a meter. I have found that sometimes there is a wide value range between my meter and the sensor. The alarm is helpful, being able to see the trends is great, and being able to see quickly if you are low or high is fantastic. Give yourself time to adapt to the new device and utilize the diabetes educator and/or the manufacturer for any questions you may have.
Rich

You rock Kenny !!! A totally cool guy like you will do great. Let us know how it goes

Kenny-

Good Luck! Keep us posted:)

I agree with Kenny. There seems to be a pretty significant learning time with the Dexcom system, so don’t get frustrated if things don’t go smoothly during your trial week. It took me several months (literally - and I’m generally a very fast learner) to work out all the kinks. But, as Kenny said, the tech support is wonderful and once you get everything figured out, it’s amazing. I would never want to live without it again. A few words of advice that they may not tell you:

Don’t calibrate more than once in 15 minutes or when your blood sugar is under 70.

And… I would probably do the sensor insertion with your doctor there or seriously even let your doctor do it for you the first time. There are so many things to consider there and until you get used to it, it’s easy to make a mistake which might cause the sensor to fail - which could ruin your whole trial week. Just a thought. Don’t mean to scare you.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how you like it.