Dexcom G4 forcing upgrade to G6

Man, now I am in a quandary. I have been struggling with the VA to replace my LONG expired G5.
I did have it integrated into my X2. But after the time went up, I have been using xdrip to read it.
I just got an email from Tandem talking about the upgrade to G6 not being mandatory if it’s integrated.
Getting the VA to do anything is a huge pain. So I was thinking about trying to get a push to the G6 instead, so I would already be there when the Control-IQ hits.
BUT, I would lose out on the predictive low until then…

@Hammer
What about getting one more G5 Transmitter order?
In your situation do you get 1 or 2 transmitters (G5) per order?

That would get you past the Basal-IQ (PLGS) update (which used the G5) and let you see how you like that. Then you could start work on getting the G6 to be ready for the Control-IQ (HCL) update (which will use the G6).

With the VA it is two transmitters at a time.
I know, I was thinking the same thing, but the VA doesn’t like to make changes.
Which is also the reason why I am paying for fiasp out of pocket.

Just talked with my Tandem rep.
They are prepared for a June 1st launch of Basal-IQ.
He said that while the Control-IQ will not be unit later, the G6 should be able to be used with the X2 pump maybe as early as November.
He said these are soft dates that rely on the FDA, etc. But he does know what Tandem is prepared for, date wise anyways.
This means two more G5 will put me in the sweet spot for the updates.

1 Like

If I recall with the last update, I think the FDA approved the update on a Friday and Tandem launched on Monday. Obviously they had everything ready to go and were just waiting on the word. Sounds like they are going to be prepared in advance for a similar launch at such point as the FDA gives the approval.

I thought they really handled the last launch quite well. It was very organized and no chaos or unexpected issues. (At least nothing the customer saw). It still must have taken a lot of last minute work. I assume they probably had a lot of Tandem employees working all weekend to prepare for the Monday launch.

I think I will put one more order in for a pair of G5 Transmitters. That will prevent us from running into a gap with the expected Basal-IQ (PLGS) functionality. Which means we probably won’t switch over to the G6 until Feb or Mar next year.

EDIT: Does anybody else like the old update names of PLGS/HCL a whole lot better than Basal-IQ and Control-IQ? lol

To me the PLGS only tells me it will suspend for lows.
Whereas the Basal-IQ suggests to me that it will control the basal amounts in addition to just suspending the lows.
Seems misleading to me.

AFAIK - no control of basal in terms of the amounts. Obviously once we have it in our hands then we will know.
Well. Or when the user guide is released. lol

This system is designed to suspend insulin when low blood glucose is predicted and automatically resume insulin delivery when glucose levels begin to rise.

[clip]

Our t:slim X2 with Basal-IQ pivotal study use Dexcom’s G5 sensor. However, based on Dexcom’s recent G6 approval and iCGM designation, we’ve been speaking with the FDA to outline the path for us to offer t:slim X2 with Basal-IQ and iCGM compatibility. This would allow for our Basal-IQ system to be used with Dexcom’s G6 sensors. Due to competitive reasons, we won’t be outlining the regulatory path details, but we remain confident on our goals to launch the t:slim X2 with Basal-IQ this summer with the G5 sensor and we’re actively working on adding iCGM or G6 sensor compatibility shortly thereafter.

[clip]

As we previously announced, all new features approved of the t:slim X2 by the FDA in 2018, will be made available to in-warranty users for no cost. Based on our current development activities, we expect these features will include both our Basal-IQ software and the iCGM or G6 compatibility.

No, no, no, no, no

1 Like

@mohe0001
OMG - That video totally freaked out our cat.

1 Like

Yeah, I know what they are at least proposing, but the name suggests it will do more then just low suspend.
Either way though, it shouldn’t be too much longer after Basal-IQ that the Control-IQ comes out. And that WILL do the things we are all waiting for.

Yeah. But I think it is exactly the same algorithm/functionality as when they were still calling it the PLGS (Predictive Low Glucose Suspend) which IMHO was a more accurate description.

My assumption is the marketing department got involved. I view marketing as a necessary PITA.

I would never call Tandem for a Dexcom Support question. There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that Dexcom is the best place to call for any Dexcom related questions or problems.

As always it is great that you have choices so you can pick the path which is best for yourself.

1 Like

In Australia, CGM is self-funded (as it is in many other countries, although if you’re older than 21 years of age the NDSS covers it.
If you pay whole whack (don’t extend the life of sensors and transmitters) you’re looking at around A$7,000 a year, which keeps it out of reach for a huge number of people. Initially, I couldn’t consider getting a Dexcom – until I learned that there were ways of extending the life of sensors and transmitters.
As each new Dexcom CGM release has come with increasing difficulties to do this, a forced migration is likely to remove CGM as an option. The new G6 sensors are being touted for their additional 3 day official life span, but I’ve been getting 15+ days with the current sensors. And the new transmitters may be harder to replace batteries for, so I get the reference to “FUD” (fear, uncertainly, doubt) that a forced migration would bring. For many it won’t be so much a migration as the end of the road with CGM.

2 Likes