Is Dexcom planning to stop making G6 entirely?

I just got an email from CCS, my supplier, saying Dexcom is planning to stop making and providing G6 sensors. I will ask Dexcom also, of course, but I’m curious what others have heard.

I’ve discussed the G7 with my endo and so far I have decided not to switch. I’m satisfied with the G6. I don’t consider the warmup time diff or the wear on my arm diff dealbreakers for the 7 over the 6. Furthermore, about half the times I wear a G6 on my upper arm it hurts so much I sometimes even just say fuggedaboutit and I take it off early and put a new G6 on anywhere else. Switching to a G7 I’m supposed to wear on my arm doesn’t seem sensible for me. But I’d D soon won’t sell me any more 6s, I guess I’d be stuck.

1 Like

The G6 is being phased out, but it will take some time. I am with CCS and converted to the G7 several months ago and ran a 2-month test using both the G6 and the G7. There is a slight learning curve to the G7 but once learned, is so much better than the G6 I would never want to go back. I find it useful to see actual data, rather than smoothed data based on an algorithm of average individuals. Faster warmup is also nice as well as some other features.

I wear my G7 exactly at the same place I wore my G6, on my stomach, which is a super application and keeps me out of compression lows as I am a side sleeper.

The biggest shock to get over is that every few sensors, I will get a message during the 10 days that says “SIgnal loss” wait up to 3 hours for the signal to resume. To mitigate that issue, I just power down my phone, power it back up immediately and the signal resumes immediately. I have more fat in my abdomen, so I never feel the G7, either during the insertion or during the 10-day period. That alone to me is worth the switch.

1 Like

When the G7 first came out and there was no pump compatibility yet, Tandem’s (edited, I originally said Dexcom here) CEO said in an investor call that they had a contract with Dexcom guaranteeing 3 years of continued G6 availability for us. I have no way of knowing the exact wording of that contract or when that 3 year timer started, but given that the G7 was FDA approved in Dec 2022, I feel like it’s a safe conclusion that G6 will be readily available until AT LEAST Dec 2025.

The problem is that G7 costs both Dexcom and the suppliers less money, so they’re putting the pressure on to switch. Pretty much blatantly lying. They’re making people think they have no option, when they clearly do.

My doctor’s office called me a few weeks ago to ask about a CGM prescription request CCS sent them. Thank goodness they checked with me! I was aware they were trying to force G7 on people. The form is worded in a way specifically designed to trick them into authorizing G7. It asks you cross our things you don’t need, and includes generic terms for all diabetes supplies. Mine specifically wrote on the fax that were authorizing only G6 and NOT G7. My out of warranty pump isn’t even compatible with G7!

2 Likes

CJ114,

I’m glad to hear wearing the G7 on my abdomen is ok.

1 Like

Robyn,

This is good info. Thx for this heads up. I just sent my endo a msg reaffirming my position that I am not ready to switch. I know her practice’s rules are that they never respond to any prescrip renewal sent to them from anyone but the patient, but I thought belt and suspenders were warranted here.

1 Like

Forget what Dexcom tells you and wear your sensor wherever it’s comfortable and gives you accurate numbers. People wear their sensors in all kinds of places the FDA and Dexcom don’t approve of (not because Dexcom/FDA think they won’t work there but because Dexcom didn’t use those locations in its clinical trials). Chest, forearm and thigh are popular “unapproved” locations. Personally I’m a fan of the pecs for reliability, which has the benefit of freeing up arms and abdomen for my pods.

3 Likes

In the email from CCS are there any wiggle words like “we will stop carrying” or something?

I searched on Tudiabetes, the first post about someone having a G6 was May 2018. The last post saying “can’t buy a G5” was February 2021. The G7 started shipping in 2023H1 so maybe we’ll have till end of 2025, early 2026 before they stop making the G6.

Just to go a little deeper, from a transcript of the Dexcom 2023Q4 earnings call

So, as you think about the G7, just the product itself, as of today, it costs more than G6. And so, that will eventually, we expect over the course of this year flip. And as you kind of get your models kind of bent out or kind of laid out, we expect to get down to a $10 sensor, irrespective of whether it’s 10 or 15 days as we exit the 2025 LRP into early 2026. So, that gives you some kind of feel for where we’ll get to the cost of each sensor.

Cheaper supplier cost would explain CCS misleading their patients. The Medicare payment for 30 days of CGM supplies is a fixed amount per state.

1 Like

Crap! Thanks for the warning. I gotta switch pumps and I don’t want to switch both at the same time. I HATE changing hardware!

I use the OmniPod 5 with the G6. As far as I know, the G7 has not been approved for the OM5. I do NOT want to switch pumps, so I sincerely hope that Insulet and Dexcom are working together to make the G7 compatible with the OM5 before they phase out the G6. If they don’t, they will have many, many unhappy customers.

1 Like

I am pretty sure they won’t phase out the G6 before the O5 has been approved for the G7. The corporate big-wigs at Dex and Insulet have learned they have to play nice together. Because there is also Libre and Tandem in the mix.

1 Like

Crap from me too! My readings from the G7 have a lot of noise and I just messaged my D clinic I want to switch back to the G6.

@Tom_in_SC

In a press release on the Dexcom IR page, the end of manufacturing for the G6 will be 4Q24.

Yes, some of us want to see the noise so that we can manage our insulin accordingly. In contrast, others prefer the false sense of security offered by the G6 that smoothes out the noise from the same data with an algorithm that may or may not be in line with how our body acts, as we are all different. I believe I can do a better job smoothing the noise from the data than some generic algorithm; hence, I am thrilled with the G7 upgrade giving my best GMI/A1C/TIR ever,

I wish that I understood the noise of G7 more. Is it an accurate reflection of pockets of differing amount of glucose in my interstitial fluid? is it sensor inaccuracy? Does my BG really change 30 points sometimes within 5 minutes (or more accurately my BG as interpreted by interstitial fluid)?

I find that sometimes when I am going high after a meal, G7 will jump to 200 for a couple of readings and then settle back at 150-160 which is what I would have expected. I have to be careful not to prematurely bolus for that 200 which is either not correct or is a brief blip. I also get occasional crashes in BG that only last a couple of readings and then stabilize at a level more in sync with my meter and what makes sense to me.

I personally dislike the graphs without smoothing and find the constant blips up and down to be less than helpful. I also miss the color of the G6 app and find the G7 tracings to be stark and dismal looking.

1 Like

From what I have seen with my numbers and events, I believe all of the above because, as they say, life happens. Compresession low for a short moment, ran up a set of stairs, drank two full glasses of water. My phone was too far from my sensor because I forgot to take it with me when I went to get something in another room. Scatter-brained and forgot to pre-bolus at the exact time for a meal, constipation, variations due to the change of seasons, and I could go on and on.

In the grand scheme of things, these are all short, one-time events that we learn to ignore or compensate for in our insulin dose if needed. I am a creature of habit and can tightly control my BG, GMI, and TIR. However, I prefer to live life to the fullest with an A1C in the 5.7 to 5.9 range rather than micro-manage my diabetes to maintain an A1C of 5.2 to 5.3.

1 Like

Dexcom disabled smoothing in the graph in the G6 app as of version 1.9. Credit to @argv for finding the info. According to the Apple app store 1.9.0 was released “2 years ago”. Why does past CGM data look different on the G6 app compared to past CGM data on the Receiver and Follow app? | Dexcom The Libres (dunno about the Libre 3) also smooths the graph.

There also might be some tweaks to the EGV numbers from the transmitter (G6) or the sensor (G7) to account for the sensors ability to react to rapidly changing, as in >2mg/dL/min glucose concentrations making smoothing a complicated issue.

I’m with you. I wish Dexcom PR would have some of their scientists talk about what the CGM is doing. It would keep me from coming up with wild guesses like the Libre is noisy too so it must be the G7’s 90° wire angle combined with the shorter wire length when compared to the G6.

“data smoothing” is not the same as the more detailed signal processing that the G6 does, and always has. (The so-called “data smoothing” in older versions of the G6 app was solely about adjusting prior readings that varied from the otherwise more natural curve.)

The explanation for all this is detailed in my substack article that explains how glucose works in the body, and how the G6’s signal processing differed from the G7. In short, glucose is not evenly distributed in the bloodstream, and tends to clump together in fluids. When you measure any given sample of fluid that contains glucose, it will vary from the next drop, etc. That variability is more dramatic when glucose levels are higher. And even more so when glucose levels change. It’s all about the biokinetics of glucose.

When you try to measure glucose in complex fluids, like blood or interstitial fluid, the variability is even more dramatic.

To truly assess (or guess) what a person’s systemic glucose levels are, you need to gather a continuous series of samples and apply some math to figure out that real number. This is not merely a matter of averaging numbers! One must understand and apply laws of physics that apply to glucose molecules within fluids.

The guy that came up with the algorithm that translated the CGM signals to produce glucose values for the G6 was an expert in this area, which is why people who used the G6 were able to achieve much better glycemic control than other sensors.

The G7’s algorithms abandoned that method (for reasons discussed in my article), but the rumor mill on various discussion forums seems to agree that it was mostly spawned by manufacturers of automated pumps, who wanted to apply their own algorithms and not rely on Dexcom’s. So, the G7 no longer applies these algorithms, and simply reports a very raw, rudimentary series of glucose levels that happen to reflect actual glucose values from various samples. Yes, these are “accurate,” but only if you compare in individual samples. As such, what the g7 reveals is the more realistic volatility of glucose erratically floating around in samples.

There are many business reasons why this is good for Dexcom (think “data licensing” for all those pump manufacturers), as well as claiming at the G7 has a better MARD than the G6, but these benefits may be short-sighted if the poorer performance of the G7 causes a user backlash. One cannot predict if this will ever come to pass.

If the G6 were ever discontinued, it would be a shame for all those T1Ds who rely on it to achieve healthier outcomes.

3 Likes

I understand that Dexcom will stop making G6 after the end of the year. I called because I wear an Omnipod 5 which doesn’t communicate with the G7. I was told that my supplier will continue to have access to the G6 as needed. We’ll see. I really wish the Omnipod 5 was compatible with my Iphone because I have to carry a separate controller!

1 Like

The main issue with Dexcom dropping the G6 is not all pumps have come up to the G7 level. Ones that is done I’m sure they’ll drop the G6. But personally I hope not.

Should we not reasonably anticipate software updates in pumps that will enable G7 integration?