Dexcom G4 sensors are driving me crazy! Help!

Go for it! I’ve been punching through Skintac for nearly 2 years now, and have never, ever, had any problem. I became quite confident of this after thoroughly disassembling an inserter, “rearming” it (of course, without the wire in it), and reverse-engineering how it worked. It’s a very clever mechanism.

Simplifed, there’s a hollow needle with an angle-cut sharp tip inside a slightly larger, shorter, fixed metal tube.

When you push the plunger in, the inner needle containing the wire is pushed through the larger tube, which acts as a stabilizing guide, and penetrates to the correct depth. The last mm of the wire is not coated and is not active in sensing BG, so any tiny amount of contamination resulting from the insertion process (remember, skin and other cells “gum up” the opening of the needle as well) is of no concern.

At the very end of the plunger’s travel, the mechanism of the inserter locks the outer guide tube in place, which also clamps the wire so it can’t be pulled back out. Then, when the outer ring fixture is pulled back with your fingers, the insertion needle is withdrawn from the site of penetration, the wire breaks in the body of the little contact flap on the sensor body, and voila!