Dexcom G5 v G6: should I upgrade?

I also concur with above statements.
Insertion is easy. I am one of those people who struggled with insertion on the G5 to not hurt. At the end I finally figured out I had to SLAP that thing to make it insert fast enough.
The new inserter does this wonderfully!
Starting a new sensor is great. Super easy!
Only thing, make sure to have a delay between stopping the old sensor and starting the new sensor (5 to 10 minutes I think. I wait 10+ minutes.)
I was bad about doing the initial calibrations on the G5. I would miss it, and it would sit for hours sometimes before I would calibrate.

Definitely upgrade.

For me the biggest change is Day 1 performance and reliability. I used to dread Day 1 and therefore restart the G5 in order to delay Day 1 for a couple more days. No longer. The first reading is as good as the last. I have now checked up on G6 sensors for 2 months, in the beginning as often as I would have with the G5. All wasted finger sticks. The only thing that I have learned is that the G6 is reliable. The G5 was accurate most of the time, but not all of the time. I call this unreliable. Sometimes there was a big surprise. Not so with the G6. Not a single surprise in 2 months. I have to fight my OCD and stop checking up on the G6. Another big Day 1 change is that I don’t need to be in a convenient place when the 2 hour warmup is over. The G6 just comes online and that’s it. This is a big plus. If Day 1 was on a weekend, I never wanted to leave the house before the first calibration. No longer. Day 1 phobia is a thing of the past.

The G6 receiver is definitely much worse than the G5 receiver. A small price to pay for the G6 upside.

The new inserter makes arm placement a snap. Another plus. With the G5 I got better readings on the arm. The G6 has been on my arm only.

1 Like

When you choose “Start Sensor”, then choose “Start Today” and the next screen presents you with a weird rotary time choice: move the clock hands for the hour that will correspond with the time that you want to pretend that you inserted the sensor, and then the minutes, on the next screen. IMO, it is a horrible interface, but once you get the hang of it, you can set it so that in a few minutes, you start getting sensor data, accurate or not.

Ah, ok, that. That doesn’t always work for me.

Pros for G6:
-No finger pricks is awesome
-Very accurate

Cons for G6:
-Predictive alarms for lows and highs are incredibly annoying and acknowledging them does’t prevent you from getting another blaring alarm a few minutes later

Predictive alarms can be turned off in Settings.

1 Like

Yeah - cool feature but we don’t use them.

Dexcom told me my S7 would not work with their transmitter for the G5.

NOT TRUE. I have an S7 and so does my wife. It works fine with Dexcom apps or xDrip. Someone at Dexcom doesn’t know what they are talking about re: the S7 and their app/G5 xmitter.

what is a correction factor?

@davyboy

Correction factor for blood glucose.
There are multiple terms used that mean the same thing.
How much will one unit of insulin provide a blood sugar correction for. ie, 1:35, 1:50, …

Undoubtedly you use the same concept just with a different name.

And yours is 1:80??? OMG. That’s incredibly good.

@davyboy that means that person is very sensitive to insulin and can easily get too much (pray there are no errors in delivery method, be it pen or pump). My wife is around 1:60 which means she is very cautious about doing corrections. I’m about 1/2 that so it’s not so critical.