Dexcom G5 v G6: should I upgrade?

Ok I know I have another Dexcom thread running but this is a different issue. I’m due for the endo appt where we do my annual script renewals and I’m pondering upgrading from my current G5 to the G6. I don’t use a Tandem or other pump that will talk to it (I’m still with Medt for the foreseeable), I’m not desperately unhappy with the G5, don’t care all that much about having to do calibrations, but the increased accuracy is an attraction, as is the lower profile and a few other things.

Stuff I’m wondering about:

Does anyone know if the G6 transmitter can pair with my old-style receiver? I suspect it can, but I’ve heard some people aren’t so happy with the newer model receiver, so if not this could be an issue. I like having both the receiver and the iPhone app, because while they both suffer dropouts, they rarely do so at the same time. The old model is small–it easily fits in a shirt pocket or in my pants pocket along with my pump, is simple to use and read, and mine has survived a few falls with no harm. So having to give up my old-style one could (could) be a deal breaker.

What’s the latest on rolling over to a second (or third) sensor session? Is it different from how it’s done (very easily!) with the G5? Any issues around that?

Does G6 work ok with xDrip? I only use it for extending the life of a transmitter when the software limit hits but it’s very handy for that bc generally the battery has weeks of juice left.

Anything else I should know?

the G6 requires the newer touch-screen receiver. (or of course, just use a phone)

xdrip is having major issues with newer samsung phones that have had the latest monthly updates. I have an s7 so no issue (G5). THe issue they have is if you want to use the OB1 algorithm. I think what happens is if the screen is off on the phone, it loses the signal. weird!

So sorry, I can’t answer most of your tech questions. Just not in my wheelhouse.
But I was a G4 user and loved the fact I could get more than two weeks out of a sensor. It wasn’t as accurate as I would have liked. I did test before every bolus because I found it sometimes off by 40 points.
But this past year, I stopped sweating those differences. I started dosing off whatever the Dexcom said and never had any problems.
That being said. I made the change to the Tandem with the G6. And I am so in love with it. And it is shocking and my medical team is so impressed with me. I have completely stopped testing! I haven’t tested in about three weeks now! And I have had no problems. No falling down lows, no lows where I needed help, no highs that caused ketones. No problems. The freedom I feel right now is the best. I have finally realized for me, it’s not worth sweating the small stuff. And numbers being off, is small stuff. Even with my correction factor at 1:80, I have had no problems.
I use to hoard test strips, worried I would not have enough. But now, I might have so many, they may expire before I use them.
From a tech side, I just use the pump and my phone.i would prefer to use a receiver but you can only use one medical device at a time. So that means, pump to get the great IQ features and the phone to see numbers. I can pull Clarity reports from my phone and iPad and can share with my doctor and UCSD for research trials.
As much as I hate technology, I do completely love this new system. And the control freak I use to be, has disappeared!

1 Like

Thanks @Sally7. I think the biggest thing pushing me toward trying the G6 is accuracy. For some reason CGMs and I have an ongoing disagreement about my morning BG. They get back into sync with fingersticks before noon, maybe 11-ish, and then everything’s fine, but something about a.m. routine seems to baffle them. For Guardians it was more of a undershooting DP thing, so I’d wake up way higher than my CGM/pump thought I was, the thing that finally caused me to give up on 670G automode. With Dexcom it shifts a few hours later, but f’rinstance, my fingerstick and Dexcom were within a point or two at waking this a.m. around 6, but I started getting low alerts on my way to work, with CGM saying 78, but the fingerstick I just did when I got to my desk was 128. That’s a pretty significant error, worse than sometimes, but it always seems to be an issue. I’m so used to it that I now just ignore those a.m. alerts unless I’ve been doing something out of the routine, but it’s hardly ideal. Really curious if the G6 would fix that.

I suspect I’ll still be wanting to check it against fingersticks if I go that way, at least at first, just out of curiosity. I’ve been poking my fingertips for 35 years so that part of it doesn’t really bother me.

I also had major issues with false-low numbers with Medtronic sensors (almost ANY time I was laying down or even sitting for a bit) although I’ve not used the latest iteration of sensor so I can’t speak to that one. I only used sof sensors and Enlites. My g5 remains quite accurate while I’m lying in bed–a welcome change fro the Medtronic sensors.

I am only a few weeks into my upgrade.
But I am happy with the results!
With the G5, I trusted xdrip for more accurate numbers compared to Dexcom.
But with the G6 iteration, I have been very happy with the G6 in pretty much every way.
I haven’t over taped the sensor at all. I only alcohol wipe the skin, twice, put on the sensor, wait at least 10 minutes and start the new sensor.
I had one sensor last 7 days, the others have been 10 days each.
I really wish they were 14 day sensors. I hate changing them on sporadic days. I like a consistent day like Sunday morning to change, then I have that day to let the new sensor settle.

1 Like

I guess the 14-day wear depends on 3 things: 1) better adhesive which has been promised, 2) actual performance improvements (I’ve seen lots of folks saying they can’t get accuracy for 10 days), and 3) the FDA to bless it.

1 Like

Yeah, there are those things, but it looks like that is a target for them to o SOON. They have many reasons to actually want to make this happen ASAP. But I understand there will be more testing, etc.
I had great accuracy at day 10, but I haven’t bothered trying to extend mine at this time. I personally do not like to overtape, use skintac, etc. Even though I have done all those with the G5, and would get 2 to 4 weeks per sensor on a regular basis. I want to try the G6 as it was intended for a while and try and be an honest example of how it should work.

1 Like

Yeah I like having a regular day that I change 'em on, and the main reason I like to extend them is that it’s just one more D hassle that I’d as soon deal with as infrequently as possible. That’s one of the things that’s probably most holding me back. Being a lazy bastid. I gather it’s possible to extend a session, but if this is any indication, it’s certainly nothing like as easy as it is with G5: https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/how-to-extend-the-dexcom-g6-sensor-goes-beyond-the-ten-day-hard-stop-580510/

The G6 has become almost as trivial as the G5 restart:

3 Likes

I don’t see a big difference in accuracy between the G5 and the G6. On the other hand, the G5 was extremely accurate for us so really there was practically no room for improvement.

The no calibration did not sound like a big deal when we were on the G5.
But once on the G6 - actually super nice not dealing with calibration.

Sure - totally makes sense. We still check if any thought as to whether the BG is accurate or not.

That has to be the best method yet! Way to go Tim, for finding that one.

1 Like

Btw, I compared for a week or so the G5 and G6 at the same time.
The G6 was great for accuracy. It was on par with the G5 and xdrip (which for me was a lot better than the standard G5 dexcom algorithms.)
I usually will fingerstick at the end of the first day of a new G6 sensor.
If I get too many lows at night I will fingerstick to double check.

1 Like

Wasn’t me. I am only using it.
lol
BTW - We just (moments ago) did the restart. It is in the 2-hr warmup now even as we speak.

Slight change is I do not wait for the original 10-day session to expire but rather we stop the original 10-day session a few hours early when it is a convenient time with our schedule.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I do with the G5 roll-over as well. Getting that 2-hour thing to fit into any convenient slot in my day is one of the biggest reasons why I put off changing until I absolutely have to. Way more of a pain than the occasional calibration. If they could fix the 2-hour wait I’d be happy to go on calibrating whenever they want.

that’s the beauty of xDrip. I can keep on getting numbers without having to wait 2 hours. Even on a NEW sensor. I can set xdrip to provide numbers at any interval I choose. The only issue is if you choose too short of a time-frame, early results MIGHT be flaky. Sometimes they are and other times, it’s magically accurate even within 30 minutes of insertion. I run the receiver as well as xDrip.

I did check the first day for the first few sensors and did calibrate it. But the last few, I haven’t tested once. I was just like you testing 8-12 times a day. All those finger pokes never bothered me. But I must say, my fingers are looking great and I have had no problems with highs or lows. But I will say, my pump has made it much easier. I can actually be a little more aggressive with my insulin dosing.

Dave, what setting allows for the timing like that in xDrip?
I would love to start seeing initial numbers, knowing they will potentially be pretty far off.

Definitely upgrade. The insertion is so easy and painless, the transmitter (and the transmitter housing) are VERY thin, smooth, and non-obtrusive, the accuracy is incredible, and not having to calibrate really can be a game-changer. I like to insert my sensor in the morning, and the 2-hour warmup period would always end while I was still in my car driving to work. I love that I can be driving and it automatically starts giving me readings on my way to work. I also sit in an open office and really appreciate not having to get my meter out and prick my finger, ever.

Yeah, that is significant–right now part of what bugs me about the 2-hour thing isn’t the wait so much as getting your chain yanked to calibrate (twice) when the period runs out, which never seems to be at a convenient moment–like driving to work–before it starts giving readings. Having it just silently kick on when it’s ready is a big improvement.