DexCom transmitter replacement alerts

In my 3 years on the Tandem T-slim pump, I have received very few alerts that my transmitter needs to be replaced. Tandem is aware of the issue, but had no fix for it. I add notes to my calendar for the transmitter 90 day window of use and just replace the transmitter at that point.

I’m curious—what triggers the transmitter replacement alerts? Is this a Tandem or a DexCom feature? Will the transmitter keep working beyond 90 days?

Also, will a transmitter work beyond its expiration date if it isn’t started more than 90 days prior to its expiration date? (this question is in reference to the expiration date on the transmitter packaging)

TIA!

1 Like

The pump throws those alerts at very annoying points, which are very different from when the Dexcom app alerts you. They pop them up so randomly, and at times when it doesn’t matter… And absolutely nothing when you’re last session ends about changing the transmitter, until you get the failed sensor start error way too late.

I think it’s actually battery level that trips those alerts, not the calendar. I’m not certain about that, but otherwise they’re completely nonsensical.

I, too, try to set alarms for when they really expire. And no, it’s not on day 90. They are warrantied to last at least 90 days, or Dexcom will replace them at no cost to you, but you can actually use a transmitter up to 110 days (unless the battery gives out first). You have to start your last session BEFORE day 100. Day 99, 23 hours, and 59 minutes is fine… But the minute the clock flips over to day 100, you can no longer start another session.

5 Likes

Do you get transmitter expiring alerts in the DexCom app? I only get alerts about sensor expiration from that app.

Funny, I get a warning about 30 days out, then two weeks or so before it dies, and then “only one use left” or some such.
On the Dexcom App, on my iPhone.
I usually push it to the limit and now have a couple extra transmitters now for backup.

1 Like

[the content of this post has been deleted by the author]

I have always gotten alerts at 30 days, 23 days, etc. I usually change it between 23 day alert and the next alert. When I change it, 90 days have passed. I always write a note in a little book I keep regarding when I change it, so I can quickly check. Of course you can always look on your pump regarding when you change sites, transmitters, and when you fill cartridges.
I am not sure why you don’t get reminders about when to replace it.

When I get supplies, I get 9 sensors and 1 transmitter. I always get the warnings at the end and they irritate me, I always change it before 90 days. Maybe they can have a reminder in the setting as you use it, something like you have 30 days left when you start it.
The way it is now it actss like an alarm and I have enough alarms thanks

Or you could make note on your calendar for 90 days later to replace.

I have been able to get 110 days on some transmitters, using Android xDrip to easily see number days. But also mark calendar.

I still get next transmitter at day 88-90 since less predictable exactly when it will end.

If fails before 90 days, I get replacement from Dexcom, but this only happened once.

It’s not likely they will address any g6 issues since the g7 is here now. No more transmitter issues I wonder when we are going to start getting them in the us, since they were approved now