Diabetes and liver failure

Hey there Everyone,

So I was diagnosed type 1 diabetic in late July. and about a month after that, I started getting really bad pains in my legs/feet. First, I thought it was just some circulation problems, getting used to the new disease and all. But then the pains started getting worse, and spreading.

Well, to put things short, I think it might be liver disease/damage?? I've looked up pretty much all the symptoms, and it pretty much hit the ball. Abdominal pains, loss of appetite, some jaundice has started showing up here and there, light loose stools, Its really starting to worry me.

And basically I'm pretty sure its like liver disease or something like that...I'm positive it has to do with my liver...just not sure whats wrong with it.

Basically my question here is.. Can someone's liver fail due to diagnosis of diabetes? or can like liver failure/disease just sorta come on because of diagnosis??

And my biggest question is, Am I gunna be ok?? its really starting to kinda freak me out, its like first diabetes..now this, its just so very..whats the word, depressing...

Its hard to absorb it, and basically I'm just here tryin to find out if things'll be ok, or should I worry? more than I already am....

I've got an appointment to get some blood tests and see a doc on wednesday, any specific tests I should ask for? or questions to ask??

Thanks folks

--Johnny Crouton

Know you’re freaked, but it could be any number of things related to your liver (if it’s even your liver) that don’t necessarily mean liver failure, damage or a serious disease. Amazing thing about the liver is that it’s an organ that regenerates. Don’t drink alcohol, if you do.

Gall bladder problems also cause abdominal pain & light colored stools.

Diabetes effects all our organs. We’re so lucky! Consistently high BG can cause fatty liver disease, so do some meds. Since you’re recently diagnosed, this isn’t likely.

Blood panel will test liver enzymes. If your doctor thinks something is amiss, he/she may order an ultrasound or other imaging tests to get a picture of your liver.

Please, please don’t worry. Stress is the worst thing for our bodies & mind. You’re young & will be fine! Glad you have an appt soon to be checked out & put your mind at ease.

Let us know what your doctor says,

Well diabetes really doesn’t particularly attack your liver, particularly at first. Even if you are having liver problems, the liver is actually an amazing organ and can heal quite nicely. I’ve had jaundice and liver problems and I recovered with no problem. It is good to see a doctor, he will do the tests as Gerri suggests. The only other suggestion I would have is to avoid medications until you see the doctor, and that includes things like tylenol and even any vitamins. You can then talk with your doctor about them, but some of those things have to be processed by your liver.

But most of all, take a deep breath, say to yourself, “I am going to be ok.” Because, I believe, you are going to be ok.

Johnny,

I won’t add much to what Gerri and bsc…they are giving really good advice/info about the topic. I’ll only add that you write down your symptoms, when they started and your questions. Sometimes when I am not feeling well, I’ll see a doc and then forget some things when I sit in front of them.

I know it’s hard to do this, but try not to worry. Let them figure out what is going on first. I’ll keep you in my thoughts and send positive ones your way.

Take care.

Christine

Johnny,

There are obstructive diseases that could cause your symptoms. Give the doc your symptoms. Glad you’re getting those lab tests. He’ll do a physical. You may have an MRI.

Best wishes! And keep us informed! I wish I could take that silly smile off my photo. I’m really concerned you get cared for quickly and thoroughly.