Diabetes Hypoglycemia Story

Great and heartfelt story by @Terry4 at Diabetes Mine today. Beautifully written.

The Kindness of Strangers: Diabetes Hypoglycemia Story

7 Likes

Thank-you, Laddie. I appreciate the compliment coming from a skillful writer like yourself!

1 Like

Terry - I read the article - Awesome, great piece of writing

1 Like

Terry - I don’t think anyone has ever come closer to capturing the fear and desperation we feel when experiencing a potential life-threatening hypo.

You’re a master of the english language

2 Likes

Wonderful Terry. Lovely piece of writing.

1 Like

Beautifully written @Terry4 !

1 Like

Very few people in this world understand the visceral threat that a bad hypo exacts on us. @Marie20, @Marilyn6, @Jimi63, @CJ114, and @Laddie – You and many others here get it!

4 Likes

Very nice article Terry. You captured the hypo experience very well.

1 Like

Boy, when I read about your dinner ingredients prior to returning to Sydney, I thought, “oh, no”!

Your first paragraph description of the hypo was just too familiar!!

So well written, @Terry4, and so glad that good Samaritan was there to help you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I have learned a few things about food in the last 30 years.

1 Like

Yes, you have! And I have from you!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Terry4 what a wonderful article! I too am grateful to the Good Samaritan who helped you! If they hadn’t, you might not have been around to help all of us! I’ll say a few extra prayers tonight for them and for you!

1 Like

Terry-
You hit the terror we all feel when you are stinking, you know you need help but the brain just doesn’t want to or can’t help any longer. The fear is intense and you captured it perfectly!
So very thankfully for your Good Samaritan who helped you who in turn helps us!
Please keep sharing your insights and all the things you have learned over the years.

1 Like

When writing about severe hypoglycemia, I worry about crossing into gratuitous hyperbole. While the fear we feel is certainly real at the time, I don’t think that every hypo is life threatening. I’ve survived a few when I’ve lost consciousness and tested my body’s ultimate metabolic safety net. I count my l luck and blessings.

Yet, we’ve all read about people who didn’t survive due to heart attacks or strokes that the hypo triggered.

This is a variation of the bad dream we’ve all endured at one time: trying to run from some imminent danger and your legs just won’t work. Our magnificent brain is our most effective tool and to lose its power is frightening.

Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing.