Diabetes ID Bracelet

Two thoughts:

I am T2, and don’t usually experience hypos, but can. Should I get a bracelet? Do most T2s have one?

My cousin has epilepsy, while he was in jail his epilepsy medicines were taken away. He was in status epileptic-us for days before the jail called the hospital. This is in liberal enlightened Minnesota. I absolutely believe diabetics could be treated this bad or worse, and I suspect as people with pumps have tighter and tighter control and fewer people know about hypos this will actually happen more.

@ Rachael. Yes! I would suggest getting a Medic Alert bracelet, maybe just saying “Diabetes.”. They will update your info with time, in case you change types or need some further info added. “Better safe than sorry” is a cliche to be heeded. Some of the experiences on this thread are just awful, and need to be avoided if at all possible.

but that makes no sense. you went from a Fairfax county jail to Bethesda MD hospital? With INOVA Fairfax being closer and one of the leading hospitals in the wash, va, md area?

Being from the area (Arlington), a T1 diabetic, an EMT, and working in the ER in a DC hospital I find that very hard to believe.
I would not be surprised if you were found on the street by police that you would be taken to the stationed. But even there they would do a physical and check your mental status. That includes a blood sugar check. Fairfax county fire dept. seriously violated several of our protocols.

There is no statute of limitations in this type of case, as it is a civil case against the county.
I still have instructors and friends who work as part of Fairfax county fire and rescue, I will have to ask them about the incident, as your arrest will be public record.

This is such a sad experience…I’m sorry you had to go through it.
I do want to say thank you for mentioning Lauren’s Hope. I’ve been looking for a place to purchase a bracelet and their site has some beautiful styles.

Your story only reinforces my desire to be “tagged”.

I wear a MedicAlert necklace for everyday use, but I also wear a RoadID bracelet when hiking or bicycling. As these activities are most likely to create a hypo event with me, my RoadId is essential. Should I not be able to communicate, this bracelet has a tag with very basic info, plus a phone number and website for more detailed info. A first responder can access a profile I set up, which includes personal info, medical history, medicines, doctors, insurance, emergency contacts, and any other information you want to put on there. As most responders have either a cell phone or laptop, this information is available almost instantly. RoadID.com is the main site for the company. Just like the MedicAlert bracelet, the $20 you pay for the RoadID is money well spent. Didn’t mean this to sound like an ad, but it is a product I firmly believe in.

Oh my gosh what a horriable expirence! That’s just wrong! You could have died! I always wear my med id bracelet. My husband when I first got it thought I was being ridicoulas to wear it! I’m glad I just ignored him and continued to wear it! Now mines so worn its almost time for a new one. You can hardly read the words diabetes anymore! Yes there important! Gosh I’m so sorry all that happened to you! That’s just awful!