Diabetes in united arab emirates

United Arab Emirates seeing diabetes explosion
Mon, 11 Feb 2008

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) form part of the Arabian peninsular with a population of about 4 million. One of the major health care challenges is the lack of national data, however, it is known that UAE has the second highest prevalence of diabetes worldwide with 25% of the population affected. Deaths related to diabetes are a serious problem and relate to genetic disposition, obesity, a sedentary lifestyle and physical inactivity, with a high genetic susceptibility to insulin resistance. Diabetics have a higher prevalence and more severe forms of periodontal disease which leads to an impaired quality of life and to oral functional disability. Periodontal disease is frequently overlooked as a complication of diabetes and there are few referrals from physicians or endocrinologists to dentists. There is a similar lack of data in UAE on oral health. Recommendations include strategies that focus on prevention of diabetes, improved awareness about diabetes at professional level and in the community, highlighting the importance of oral health.

The United Arab Emirates are witnessing a diabetes explosion, with approximately 25 per cent of the population now suffering from the disease.

The conclusion was drawn from statistics revealed at the Arab Health Congress Show by experts from Imperial College London Diabetes Centre. Diabetes is being recognized as a major problem in the UAE.

Further statistics reportedly show that 40 per cent of 60 plus residents have diabetes, and the disease causes 75 per cent of deaths amongst UAE nationals.

The medical and research director at the ICLDC, reportedly commented: “Diabetes is currently the fastest growing debilitating disease in the world. In the UAE it is estimated that one out of five people aged 20 to 79 lives with this disease, while a similar percentage of the population is at risk of developing it. This year, the UAE ranked 2nd highest worldwide for diabetes prevalence.”

Diabetes Mellitus (type 2) is currently one of the most prevalent disease in the UAE. According to recent media reports, 1 out of every 4 people in the UAE is diabetic, with a staggering 25 per cent prevalence rate among UAE nationals.

It is a rapidly growing metabolic disease and worldwide, takes an ever-increasing proportion of national healthcare budgets. Recent studies from Saudi Arabia and the Persian Gulf showed that diabetes prevalence ranges between 15 to 25 per cent and that diabetes accounts for between five to ten per cent of each nation’s health budget. In addition, many type 2 diabetes patients are not diagnosed or not in control of their blood glucose, leaving them at an increased risk of diabetes related complications.

Article from AME News:

Harvard Medical School Dubai Center launch Diabetes program with CME conference
Harvard Medical School Dubai Center Institute for Postgraduate Education and Research (HMSDC), a member of Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Academic Medical Center, in collaboration with Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC), a member of Tatweer, today launched the first initiative of their Diabetes 2009 campaign in the form of a national continuing medical education (CME) course ‘Diabetes Update 2009’.

Approximately 25%, or about 1.75 million individuals in the UAE, are affected with diabetes.

This is what experts from DHCC, Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, United Arab Emirates University, Joslin Diabetes Center, and Moorfields Eye Center reminded us today in a CME course, which took place in Grand Hyatt, Dubai.

‘UAE has the second highest prevalence of diabetes worldwide with 25% of the population being affected. Diabetes has been an increasingly difficult medical management issue in the Emirati population,’ warned Dr Ajay Singh, Chief Academic Officer of HMSDC. ‘Kidney failure, heart disease, high blood pressure, amputations and blindness are complications of diabetes. Increasing awareness of the relationship between Diabetes Mellitus, its risk factors and complications, remains at the forefront of HMSDC’s medical education endeavors.’

Dr Ayesha Abdullah, Vice President of DHCC said, ‘By bringing together leading experts, we expect the course will influence policy makers and local health authorities to make the fight against diabetes a higher priority. We also hope that it will help healthcare professionals towards improving the quality of life of people with diabetes in the UAE.’

The Congress also presented the opportunity to share, at a national level, the latest scientific advances and knowledge on more practical aspects such as education, treatment and raising awareness in the field of diabetes. The programme addressed a broad spectrum of diabetes-related issues such as Basic Science; Clinical Advances; Education and Care; Epidemiology and Public Health; Living with Diabetes, and Diabetes in UAE.

Platforms for discussion varied from state-of-the-art lectures to interact-with-expert sessions, including panel discussion and one-to-one communications. HMSDC designated this educational activity a maximum of 6.5 CME credit hours.

The objective of HMSDC’s 2009 Diabetes initiative is to engage professionals and the public with this important health issue but also to help develop strategies that will serve to prevent diabetes and to offer optimum healthcare and education for people with the condition.National Diabetes Guidelines UAE.pdf

Thank you very much Hayaa for pointing this problem out.Just came back from Cairo attendind Pan Arab conference on diabetes,hosted in collaboration with ADA,there are 6 Arab countries in top 10 countries with the most prevelent diabetes.
Changing of life style,obesity and lack of daily activities are the cause of epidemic we see now even in children.

Salam Sohair;

lets do some good work together to create regional awareness.

This weekend I mostly fall into a coma ; as I couldnt buy a NovoPen for my Levemir Insulin. I managed to call NovoNordisk in Europe ; they found one old sample pen in their Dubai office which was delivered to me.
It seems as if they forgot to sell / market it. I called more than 30 farmacies and none of them knew that there is a seperate pen available for Levemir Cartriges !
This is unacceptable. How can they subscribe these expensive disposable pens and non the cartriges with seperate pen as any other country does…

Do you know anyone in Dubai / GCC to join my group ?

Warm Regards,
Iphigenia

Did you hear about the Harvard Medical School Dubai seminar on Diabetes ?
I hope they will make another one ; as I would love to attend it.

Wow that is very unacceptable!

National Diabetes Guidelines UAE.pdf