Diabetes & Jail

ADA Summary

Full text to ADA article “Legal Rights of Prisoners and Detainees with Diabetes: An Introduction and Guide for Attorneys and Advocates”

This seems worthwhile to know about. As crappy as in-hospital care is, I have to think that care in a county jail is MUCH worse.

Since the prosecutor threatened me with a month in the clink, I thought it worthwhile to research. Before researching, I said that I would sooner do a month in jail than pay them their $1,000 fine. I would sooner throw $1,000 in the river than give it to them. After researching, I will probably just pay the fine if I loose. Then, appeal. But, I think that I will win. :slight_smile:

One of the issues with the courts is that it takes sooooo long. When I started the case, I felt confident that I could survive a month in jail. Several months later, my system has destabilized a bit. I got my settings all adjusted, just in case, but now I realize that we cant have a pump in county jail…or sugary snacks because sugar ‘isn’t good for diabetics.’ So, it might just be too dangerous.

1 Like

Ack! I just read the intro to that document and got scared. Pay the fine!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am sorry you have had “crappy” in-hospital care. But that isn’t the case every where. The times I’ve been in the hospital at several locations I have received excellent care, I continued to use my pump in the ER, in patient floors and the surgical team x 4 monitored and cared for me and my pump needs. So “crappy” care isn’t at every hospital.

1 Like

What did you do?

Failed to mail them a piece of paper stating that I am still a diabetic. But, they never asked me to submit it, so I think I am in the clear, legally. I’ll tell you all about it after its done.

@David61, that’s amazing. I didn’t expect that they allowed such things anywhere. I called and spoke with the jail’s medical staff - in one case, it sounded better that the hospital, but in the other case it sounded freaky.

Wishing you luck!!! Presuming you have an attorney, they should understand if they do not already and bring it up to the judge with the attached article and maybe another one about how glucose control is very important to long-term health.

Its a buyers market for attorneys. I found a cheap one about my age. I figure its better than representing myself. Sometimes I get stage fright and freeze up. That would be bad in court.