Diabetes or Old Age?

I have a problem deciding whether a new problem is caused by diabetes, or old age. Since this century began I have had hearing loss, bad aching in my back, pain in my feet and legs, gout, forgetfulness, problems with urination, and difficulties with balance causing me to occasionally fall down. Are these caused by diabetes, or old age? My doctors do not want to say that diabetes is the cause of my problems. That is understandable, but I find this frustrating! I keep trying to narrow my range, hoping for improvements, but I have had limited success. For all of the problems I have mentioned, online research suggests that diabetes can be the underlying cause. I am 78 now, so maybe old age is to blame for most of these problems???
Do any of you have the same question?

3 Likes

I don’t have these issues now, but my Dad started having most of these in his late 70s. One fall led to needing hip replacement surgery. He does not have diabetes, and is about 10 years older than you.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

2 Likes

A lot of the difficulties you describe could be the result of diabetic neuropathy, such as hearing loss and pain in the legs. Autonomic neuropathy can cause balance problems for longstanding diabetics, and can interfere with the normal emptying of the bladder. But you should visit a good neurologist to clarify which of these problems are diabetic and which are caused by age, since there is considerable overlap.

3 Likes

I am so glad to hear your doctors are not giving you the standard, it’s more common in people with diabetes line. I mean, I wonder if they say that to a person with a broken arm who happens to be a diabetic!
I am so sorry to hear things are not going as well as you would like! But as others have stated, some of this is just the fact of getting older. I have seen many of these symptoms with my elderly family members. I hope you and your doctor can find some solutions to make some of this easier. And I hope you have someone who lives with you or someone who can check in with you each morning and evening. Good luck Richard! You are a super role model for all of us!

5 Likes

You sound like me. It is old age. Age related Arthritis and creeping forgetfulness.

2 Likes

Whether your difficulties are due to advancing age or diabetes or some combination of the two doesn’t matter much, I think. You still need to address any treatment decisions with your doctor(s).

Have you ever been given any physical exercises to enhance your balance? It seems like some regular regimen could help you and not present any side effects or downside.

When my mother was in her late 70s she experienced falling more due to poly-pharmacy. When she was taken off a few of the drugs, she didn’t fall any more. Just an idea.

6 Likes

@Terry4, I have been exercising at a gym, two or three hours per week for many years, but now I have carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve problems. I am still going to the gym for leg exercises, and moderate upper body exercises with reduced weights. I do many projects in my home and the yard, if they are not too exerting. I take one hour walks when the heat does not interfere, but this is the hottest summer I have seen in a long long while.

My BP med, Lisinopril, was initially prescribed at 10 mg per day. I had serious falls. I have cut my dosage to 2.5 mg and that has helped so much. My BP is good. My doctor initially prescribed a dosage that was much too high.

2 Likes

The gout makes me think you should have a test of kidney function. Lower your salt intake, meanwhile. Are you on any blood pressure medications?

1 Like

Hi @mohe0001, An ultrasound shows that my kidneys are good. I have been using meds for BP, for many years. Ten mg of Lisinopril was too much for me about 8 years ago. I had some bad falls. My dosage was reduced to 2.5 mg. I stopped falling down. More recently I have neuropathy in my feet and legs. That is causing my problem with balance and some dizziness.

1 Like

Whew! Thats a relief!

I’m sorry about the dizziness and balance problems. Will send good diabetes karma your way.

1 Like

I think you should go to an emergency department to get the dizziness checked out. Take care, Richard.

1 Like

As 76 year old, type 2 man, It is my view that most of what you describe is due to old age, not diabetes.

3 Likes

I’ll be 71 in October and have been an insulin-dependent diabetic for 61 years, since I was nine years old in 1957. Last October 2017 I had noticed that some of the illnesses you mentioned had been plaguing me during last year. I consulted with Dr. Google extensively and came up with Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy (DAN) also known as Dysautonomia. My internist ordered tests and we both agreed on the diagnosis. I recall a gentleman on this form once mentioning that he had neuropathy all through his trunk. He was more than likely referring to Dysautonomia. I learned a great deal from the Internet doing my research and specifically on a number of forms about other people, with and without diabetes, that are also afflicted.

3 Likes

@Kathlyn, there are four different kinds of neuropathy. The kind in the trunk of the body is usually called autonomic neuropathy.

1 Like

Forgot to add. Could your dizziness and falls because by hypotension? With DAN hypotension is common. Every morning when I get up I take 5 mg of Midodrine to keep it up and also mid-afternoon. You mentioned in your profile that the only complication you have from diabetes is mild nerve pain. Pain in your legs and feet urinary problems, hearing loss, dizziness, loss of balance, are just some of the symptoms of autonomic neuropathy/Dysautonomia/DAN. DAN is common among insulin dependent, very long-term diabetics, regardless of how well they have taken care of themselves. It seems like all its’ symptoms show themselves within a matter of a few years.

1 Like

Your comment about diabetic autonomic neuropathy appearing in diabetics “regardless of how well they have taken care of themselves” is quite true. This has usually been explained as resulting from genetic abnormalities inherited along with the cluster of genes that determines susceptibility to developing diabetes in the first place, but a recent study suggests it may be due to the fact that the autoimmunity which first caused the diabetes to appear in the first place may be continuing and doing damage to the nerves as well:

Immunol Lett. 2015 Nov;168(1):73-9. doi: 10.1016/j.imlet.2015.09.009. Epub 2015 Sep 16.

Diabetic peripheral neuropathy, is it an autoimmune disease?

Janahi NM1

BACKGROUND:

Autoimmunity has been identified in a significant number of neuropathies, such as, proximal neuropathies, and autonomic neuropathies associated with diabetes mellitus. However, possible correlations between diabetic peripheral neuropathy and autoimmunity have not yet been fully investigated.

OBJECTIVES:

This study was conducted to investigate whether autoimmunity is associated with the pathogenesis of human diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS:

A case-control analysis included three groups: 30 patients with diabetic peripheral neuropathy, 30 diabetic control patients without neuropathy, and 30 healthy controls. Blood analysis was conducted to compare the percentages of positive antinuclear antibodies (ANA) between the three groups. Secondary analysis investigated the correlations between the presence of autoimmune antibodies and sample demographics and neurological manifestations. This research was considered as a pilot study encouraging further investigations to take place in the near future.

RESULTS:

Antinuclear antibodies were significantly present in the blood serum of patients with diabetic peripheral neuropathy in comparison to the control groups (p<0.001). The odds of positive values of ANA in the neuropathy group were 50 times higher when compared to control groups. Secondary analysis showed a significant correlation between the presence of ANA and the neurological manifestation of neuropathy (Neuropathy symptom score, Neuropathy disability score and Vibration Perception Threshold).

CONCLUSION:

The study demonstrated for the first time that human peripheral diabetic neuropathy may have an autoimmune aetiology. The new pathogenic factors may lead to the consideration of new management plans involving new therapeutic approaches and disease markers.

When I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1966, I was asked to participate in a study conducted by Dr. Donna Younger at the Joslin Clinic on nerve conduction velocities (a good measure of neurological health) in newly-diagnosed patients. We were informed at the end of the study that all of us showed slowing of nerve conduction velocities, even though, as a group of newly-diagnosed type 1 patients, we had only had elevated blood sugar for a very short time. I had been tested for diabetes just the month before, since I had a familial disposition to the disease, and been found not to have it, and I had only experienced polyuria and polydipsia for a few days before being diagnosed and treated with insulin, so the total number of hyperglycemia-hours causing blood sugar damage to the nerves must have been minimal, thus pointing to an alternative cause.

3 Likes

@Seydlitz, thanks for this post. It confirms my own suspicions.

1 Like

Dizziness or light heatedness could be associated with autonomic neuropathy. It is also associated with a whole range of other problems.
Experiencing orthostatic hypotension, e.g. light heatedness upon rising from a seated position or other changes in position, would be suggestive of autonomic neuropathy.

I don’t believe the sources of your concerns could be known without an extensive physical examination and testing, e.g., skin biopsies to determine nerve densities on the question of peripheral neuropathy, tilt table test in regard to autonomic neuropathy.

I think it’s good that you are on Lisinopril as that’s within the ACE inhibitor class which has been shown to reduce rate of progression of chronic kidney disease in diabetes.

1 Like

@David_Yolleck1, I was diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy in 2010. I also have peripheral neuropathy in my feet and legs, and that can cause problems with balance. I am still walking without a cane, so I am not worried too much about it,
Thanks for your post.

1 Like

I think it is mostly just aging? a bit of both perhaps. Is your A1C average 6.5 or less?
I am 77 and have most of your problems and have been a Type 1 for 50 years. My a1C is usually around 6.1.
I have been a pumper for 30 years so that has helped my control a lot.
I do about an hour of Yoga and stretches every morning and then a brisk walk of 30 minutes. My morning aches and pains seem to disappear after that.
I still suffer from various pains and frequent urination. I get dizzy sometimes for no apparent reason and have fallen down a couple of times the past 2 years. Definitely forget stuff! Many of my friends here in Mexico are in their seventies/eighties and are not diabetics… but have pacemakers, artificial knees/hips etc. They have pretty much the same symptoms as you and I!
We still manage to ride motorcycles together and enjoy life. We look out for one another and stay aware of each others limitations.
I just feel fortunate to have lived this long! In 1968 my doctor told me that maybe I would have 25 good years left…if I took care of myself.
Best of luck to you and stay healthy.
K

5 Likes