Diabetes Superfoods

How many of these foods do you consume, and how well do they treat you? Or do you have your own diabetic superfoods? The newsletter I subscribe to suggests these 8 foods for helping control glucose numbers. (http://www.qualityhealth.com/health-lifestyle-articles/superfoods-diabetics)

1. Beans: Beans are loaded with dietary fiber; high-fiber foods break down more slowly in the bloodstream and help to stabilize your blood sugar. Black, lima and pinto beans are the best choices, advises the American Diabetes Association.

2. Cinnamon: This spice is everything nice when it comes to fighting diabetes and is a tasty diabetic food. It increases your body’s sensitivity to insulin so that glucose can enter cells. Just half a teaspoon of cinnamon can lower blood sugar levels significantly.

3. Fatty Fish: Seafood such as salmon, trout, herring, albacore tuna and mackerel are packed with omega-3 fatty acids. These essential fatty acids help to lower triglycerides and bad cholesterol levels, which are often high in people who have diabetes.

4. Figs: These fruit are packed with fiber, so they do a great job at helping to control your blood sugar levels. Studies suggest that fig leaf supplements can also lower blood sugar levels, which boosts this fruit’s reputation as a super diabetic food.

5. Green Leafy Vegetables: Veggies such as kale, spinach and Swiss chard may not win taste contests, but they’re definitely on the diabetic food list. They’re packed with magnesium which helps to control blood sugar levels.

6. Green Tea: According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, this antioxidant-rich beverage has been used traditionally to control blood sugar. Green tea extract powder may also lower A1c levels if you have prediabetes.

7. Potato peel is packed with fiber so keep the skin on when you’re cooking them to aid diabetes management. Research shows that blood sugar levels in rats were significantly reduced when potato peel was added to their diet.

8. Soy: The Harvard University School of Public Health found that soy protein and soy nuts can improve insulin sensitivity, and lower bad cholesterol.

On my own, personal list… I have to add:

1. Resistant Starch: Resistant starch is a non-digestible carbohydrate that acts a lot like fiber. Adding resistant starch to the diet can improve bowel function, act as an appetite suppressant, and reduce the calories and glycemic impact of carbohydrate foods. Resistant starch is found naturally in dried beans, unripe bananas, and starchy foods like potatoes, rice, and pasta that have been cooked and then cooled. Interestingly, sourdough bread contains more resistant starch than regular bread. But as you can see, baking with whole grain flour makes a much bigger difference than using sourdough (and using both is best of all):

White bread = 1.5% resistant starch
White sourdough = 1.8% resistant starch
Whole grain bread = 3% resistant starch
Whole grain sourdough = 4% resistant starch

(From: http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2009/11/resistant-starch-better-than-whole-grain.html)

For those like me, who cannot eat baked potatoes, or regular potatoes… You may find that consuming a serving of boiled potatoes that has been left to cool at least 12 hours, overnight, in the fridge, will not spike your blood sugar as much as regular potatoes would, without the cooling period, because of this resistant starch. I typically make them, cool them overnight, and turn them into a healthy and savory potato salad, without any sugar, nor miracle whip (I find the taste kind of gross, anyway).

If you got any superfoods… feel free to add them to this list. :slight_smile:

Not exactly my list. I’d pass on the beans, figs, potatoes and soy and instead add nuts, meat, dairy and the most important Red Wine!

I do drink red wine on occasion, and it is very benefiting. I don’t think we all consume the things on it, but I think it is interesting. I don’t like fish, and I don’t consume figs… and the list does include some protein and nuts. I don’t think these lists are meant to be a bible of anything, and I don’t think an extremely low carb diet is for everyone… just some mere ideas of where to start for some people.

Thank you for this opportunity to share!
RE: Vegetables - Squashes of all colors, especially pumpkins. I use smaller pumpkins when in season by cutting in half, cleaning out (baking seeds sprinkled w. Sea Salt to munch), bake at 350 degrees for one hour, and fill with a [home made] soup, stew or other vegetables of choce. Being creative is allowed!
RE: Tea - Fennel and Licorice have been physically calming to my senses, especially my gut. The mint family is a wonder in and of itself!
RE: Herbs - I incorporate so many in my diabetic diet on a daily basis, listing them here would take too long. Use this incentive as a personal research project [for readers]. For example, Lemon Balm stuffing in a chicken; pork swathed in Rosemary; Rue to chicken or turkey soups; Fresh Parsley and Garlic sprigs to practically everything.
Have fun! AK.

Oh, my, that sounds so yummy A.K.! Thanks for the ideas! :))

I don’t eat high carb foods like beans & potatoes. Figs would send me through the roof. Fruits have fiber, but vegetables have even more & they’re a better choice for me.

I avoid soy because I’m hypothyroid. Surprising soy is included since so many diabetics have thyroid conditions, but then I’m surprised potatoes are on the list.

I eat fatty fish. Being T1, I’ve not found cinnamon of much help, but I love cinnamon. Yes to the green leafy vegetables & green tea.

Red wine–yep.

Not like Italian pasta, but Miracle Noodles www.miraclenoodles.com have zero calories & zero carbs. They’re pure fiber. Miracle Noodles are like Asian cellophane noodles. Good in soup & added to stir fried recipes. I eat them with peanut sauce.

I’d add nuts to the list–walnuts, pecans, almonds. Healthy fats. Also, veggies in the cabbage family since they’re loaded with nutrients & low carb.

I only eat beans in very small quantities. I think a lot of health professionals recommend foods with a lot of fiber for diabetics. As a diabetic you have to be aware of the carbs you are eating regardless of the source. Things like figs are very sweet. 1/2 cup of figs-58 carbs, 1/2 cup blueberries -11 carbs. I have used resistant starch and buy it in 5 lb bags on the internet. I add it to dishes when I cook. It has 15 g of fiber per ounce. If you google the produce Hi-Maise you will come up with sources and recipes. I would be careful adding regular flour with it to make bread. Any bread will spike most diabetics. My super food is Avacoado, mushrooms, almonds, most protein and cheese. My favorite meal that brings my bg down 20-30 points is pancakes made from flaxseed and vanilla whey powder, baking powder, Torani sf syrup, egg and oil and blueberries. These taste just like regular pancakes and are a great snack. I’ve made them with pumpkin, too. Oh, I also use the Shiratake Konjac noodles ( miracle noodles) They are hard to find, I usually order mine online, but not in the winter. I have heard the ones with tofu hold up better with italian sauces. They have 20 calories, 3 carbs and 3 grams of soluble fiber.

In the books I read for my Hypothyroidism, soy was okay in no more than two servings a week. Foods high in iodide content should be avoided, too. I was discussing this with my husband once at the grocery store, and this lady overheard me and started lecturing me on how wrong I was. lol http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/148/6/2747

Thanks, Lizmari. I was told no soy, so good to know.

Like Brian , add nuts, meat, dairy and oatmeal in the morning. No figs ,soy,etc. I also love colored peppers,zucchini,onions ,and herbs. I will pick garlic next week. I eat baked beans 1/2 a cup with a protein every Saturday. Still picking blueberries ,my fruit of choice. Eating to the season. Nancy50