Diabetes Tech Society Conference on Covid starting shortly

Conference: https://www.diabetestechnology.org/index.shtml

If you registered, you should have received an email link.

We can chat about it here, if you want.
(mohe BG=50 and dropping rapidly…)

1 Like

I’m watching this virtual conference now. It’s beyond my knowledge base in some respects but still valuable and informative to those of us who live with diabetes. I’m grateful that this organization has enabled us access to this information. It definitely falls within the spirit of “nothing about us without us.” For those who might have the time today and tomorrow, I encourage your attention. The production quality (voice, images, slides, organization) is well done.

I hope they record the video for later access online. There’s a lot of info.

1 Like

If anyone is interested in the conference agenda, here it is.

https://www.diabetestechnology.org/cds/agenda.shtml

Regarding later online access to this content, my screen shows a “recording” icon, so I think they will have the raw material to produce some nice content. There was a comment made by Dr. David Klonoff, founder of the Diabetes Technology Society, that reports from this conference will appear later in the year.

1 Like

This was the last session before the lunch break and I wish more patients had access. The presenters were Korey Hood and William Polonsky. I submitted a question that was answered at the close of their session.

I recorded the audio from the last seven minutes or so. The question they were answering at the start of my clip was about the value and nature of Telehealth appointments and other virtual support opportunities.

Here’s the audio I recorded.

4 Likes

How did you do this? I’m interested in a couple segments this afternoon/evening CDT, but won’t be able to watch because of family obligations. I also have some conflicts tomorrow. I couldn’t find a way to contact them to see if they were broadcasting a replay of the meeting or would make copies of slides available.

1 Like

I used my iPhone voice memo app to record a clip that includes the question I posed. I’ll keep my ears open to discover if what you describe is available.

Edited to add: I encourage anyone interested in this meeting to sign up and attend. The organizers have graciously made this available to us at no charge. They are primarily an organization that focuses on meetings for medical professionals but appreciate the role that we patients play in our own care.

2 Likes

I’ll ask them if they are going to put stuff online. I was hoping they will.

There are some really big deal people speaking.

1 Like

OMG, Terry4, were you exhausted yesterday after the conference? I thought attending a conference from the comfort of home would be different somehow. But, its ideas that make your brain tired.

Just a note to everybody, that if you get anxiety from covid, this might not be the conference for you. Me and terry can report back information. Its a long day of covid that might trigger some patient anxieties. I think that you wanna get enough sleep if you attend, and make sure your BG is controlled. I think it could be kinda triggering for some if your not in a solid state of mind.

After the conference, something was breaking out in Minneapolis and the University started issuing warnings about ‘civil unrest.’ National Guard came, so I was up late texting with the undergrads, trying to ensure they stayed home where its safe. Things seemed unusually dangerous last night. But, maybe I was just resolving a little covid anxiety.

A handful of people were able to abduct the giant stuffed dog out of the lobby at Target HQ. It’s gigantic. It is the trophy to end all trophies. Somehow, they loaded it into the back of an SUV, which is amazing because it huge. It looks like this:
4 structure fires. No injuries. Nicollet Ave is toast.

Pure and utter exhaustion today, but I’m still excited for our conference.

2 Likes

They plan to make the recordings available after the conference. So, no worries, @Paytone. You’ll be able to watch at your leisure.

3 Likes

Great @mohe0001 ! Will you raise a flag when you learn how to access the presentations? I’m not sure if I’m plugged in to get an announcement.

There’s a lot of information to digest in a very short period during the presentations; especially with limited technical depth in many of the subjects. Going back to some of these presentations again will really help me get the most from the information.

1 Like

Certainly.

I find it a little hard to sit through all in one sitting.
I get the ‘covid panics’ at night sometimes, lol.
It would be better to watch parts of it at a time, as interest and emotional stability allow for it. Its easy to get covid burnout.

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts and perspective on things they talk about.

2 Likes

Oh boy, hearing the diabetic covid patients speak was kinda tough. They spoke right before lunch. Sad stuff.

What did they say?

I can’t really spend too much time listening to all of this. What were the main takeaways?

Oh, one guy got covid and thinks he caused the death (from covid) of one of his medical workers. Some survivors guilt stuff. Sad. People are kinda ‘beat up’ from getting sick. Its unfortunate.

1 Like

Basically, in quick summary, 40% of covid deaths are diabetics. 1/4 of all covid hospitalizations are diabetics. From yesterday’s slides from the American Diabetes Association speaker Robbert Gabby …

Insulin seems to be among one of the largest risk factors, although people have different findings on specifics.

One of the experts assures us that virtual visits will be coming to an end ASAP because they can’t figure out how to bill for them and they are concerned about medicare fraud.

Endocrinology, in general, is an outlier for its rapid adoption of virtual care. Psych has also done well there. Here are the trends in telemedicine appointments:

Pregnancy has been a real problem during covid. Pregnant women are not getting nearly the same quality of care with remote care. They are getting much later diagnosis of gestational diabetes.

FDA allowed hospitals to adopt CGM tech with introduction of covid. Still very little clinic study there. Almost nothing with regard to pumps. But, they like the CGMs because they don’t need to have contact with patients and it decreases burden on nursing staff. FDA and Dexcom were discussing this already in March, and they were granted authorization for use in the hospital. (Dexcom spoke)

Lots of stuff on covid testing:

Lots of insulin resistance. Beta cell dis-regulation. Lots of people presenting with DKA.

They report strange things, like paraplegia and Guillain Barre - like effects from covid. Blood clots are resulting in amputations.

(From yesterday’s slides, Dr Griffin – Colmbia University) Phases of covid

Yesterday’s slides from Bennett

So, her data showed increased survivability for people with asthma, excessive drinking, and higher suicide rate populations.

She suspects that athsma meds might be beneficial for covid symptoms. She suspects that people prone to depression are self isolating more and getting covid less.

Also,

This guy had a fun presentation from the 1st day. He was a fast talker. He got a lot of info out fast.

FDA Regulation changes for the short term to handle the pandemic
Yarmela Pavlovic speaks on this…

3 Likes

That’s one I really wanted to hear, but was occupied elsewhere. I’ll watch the replay with your forewarning about the content.

1 Like

I watched that segment, too. I didn’t get the same impression as you, however. I don’t think that patient thought he was personally responsible for his nurse’s infection and death but was overcome with emotion as to the heroic altruism of his caregivers. Maybe I missed something you picked up on.

A few things I remember from this morning was a comment that one hospital presumed that every incoming Covid-19 patient had diabetes, possibly undiagnosed. Another presenter noted that they found DKA even in previously non-diabetic individuals.

2 Likes

Thank you for the summary! Much appreciated from someone who was interested in attending but couldn’t get away from work!

Yesterday, a historian presented some interesting slides from the 1918-1919 pandemic.

The disagreement about whether to wear a mask or not is not new to 2020!

I can understand the reluctance of some back in 1918. Germ theory and the awareness of concepts like bacteria and viruses were unknown. We don’t have that rationale today.

The different medical opinions on wearing masks in 1918.

4 Likes