Diabetes timeline

Thank goodness Claire is in Europe and is using the IFCC HbA1c standard. I believe that when Claire quotes a 3.9, she has a HbA1c of 39 mmol/mol. To convert between them you can look at (http://www.diabeteschart.org/ptom.html), so she has a HbA1c we would recognize as 6.5%.

Way to go Claire!

It all started on July 6, 1958 at the age of 3.

I do not remember anything about that time in my life. I became aware of the situation when we went to Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston Mass. That was October 10, 1959. Prior to that, my GP tried to get a handle on D but was not very successful. My Dad finally told him to step aside. I remember going to Joslin. I actually met Dr. EPJ himself. He was a very tall slender gentle man. I was scared to death. We spent a week there. I remember what I ordered for breakfast. It was oatmeal, toast, banana, and oj. What about low carbs???
My doctor was his side kick Dr. Priscilla White.

My Mom tells me that I rebeled about the shots at first but got over it by the time I was 5 or so. I wanted so bad to be like eveyone else. :frowning:
I used to take Reg and NPH beef insulin once per day.

When I was 9 us kids used to play bball at the local little league fields. We spent all day there with nothing to worry about. I had my trusty sugar cubes wrapped in tin foil in my pocket. The predessesor of glucose tabs.

One story I still remember was going to lunch at the local Friendly’s while playing bball. Does any one remember Tab? What an awful taste it had (YUCK) but it was all I could drink as it was sugar free soda. When I ordered it the waitress looked at me (I was skinny as a rail) and said why are you ordering that you’re not fat. It was the first time I stood up for myself and told her the reason. She crawled into a hole.

Still on once a day shots. Used to pee in a cup and use clinitest tablets to measure the sugar over spill in the the urine.

At the age of 11 went to the Joslin Camp in Mass. for 3 weeks. It was great to know I was not alone. Hated going to the girls camp on Saturday’s. We had to Dance or else.

Still on one shot per day.

1968/1972. Played bball in high school. Was a pitcher. Had to run 3 miles a day in training. My trusty sugar cubes go every where. I hunted with my Dad also. Out in the woods most of the day.

Still on Regular and NPH once a day. Now it is pork insulin. I believe my Endo was starting to use the HA1C. My numbers where always lower than 7.5. I would tell him that I would only check my urine levels once or twice a week. The rebel teen. He gave up asking because of my A1C’s.

Off to college in the 70’s. Do not need to say much about that. I partied like them all. A1C’s still below 7.5. Still on shots once per day regular and NPH.

Well it is October 1, 1976. I got hitched. The best thing to happen to me. Love you Madonna!!!

Started a family. Our daughter was born April 20, 1983. We prayed she would not have the challange I go thru everyday.
Our son was born May 17, 1985. Kept praying.

Started to test blood glucose at home in the mid 80’s I believe.

It is now about 1995. Went on Lantus once a day up until sbout 2001. Lantus as a basal and Humilog as a Bolus.

Well on May 4, 2003, it happened, our daughter was also presented to this challange. We were devisatated. She adopted quite well and is doing GREAT. She just singned up for a half marathon. Go girl.

On February 12, 2008 I got hooked up to a pump. It was my choice. I chose the Minimed 522. My Endo said it was not needed. My A1C’s were 6.7 to 7.0.

I hunt deer and am in the woods for 4:30 am until dark. I would only give myself 1/2 my lantus dose and not bring my humilog with me. My contol suffered during those 9 days in November but that was the only time but I wanted better control.

In the fall of 2008 with the pump I had an issue. It was 9 degrees F most of the day. My basal rate is only 0.10 units per hour. The insulin was subjected to the extreme cold and my pump was going thru batteries everyday. I did some research and looked into the Omnipod. Since the pod is under all my cold weather gear it has worked well. Maybe I should have been more cautious with the tubing and pump exposure but it has to be accessable with very little movement. Those who hunt know what I mean.

Well today my A1C is at 6.2.

52 years and still going strong.
Ray

Tab, yuck!!! I have a friend who is hooked on the stuff, but I feel so privileged to have grown up in the era of diet coke!

Thanks for sharing! I found this completely fascinating.

This IS an interesting thread! I thought I had been done a disservice by doctors until I read Angela’s thread. And I am in even more awe than I already was at those of you who have been diagnosed since childhood!

2007-Age 58, living in the mountains of Northern California and only a few months away from retirement after which my plan is to move to Guatemala. Feeling tired all the time, but I figured, heck, I’m 58, I’m working a fulltime job and also teaching three courses at night, I’m sooo ready to retire! Soon thirst and frequent urination becomes a regular uninvited guest and I start thinking, hmmmmm. My grandmother had diabetes (I assume type 2 but don’t know). I was also losing weight which I was happy about because I was 40 pounds overweight (I eventually lost all 40) but it did seem odd to lose weight without trying at my age. I knew the other things could be symptoms of diabetes but didn’t know about weight loss, so I looked it up online and saw it could and then I just knew. Called and asked my doctor for a blood sugar test and my fasting was 325. Don’t know what my A1C was. Also don’t know for sure they said Type 2, but that’s certainly what they assumed. I expected the diagnosis and wasn’t particularly bothered by it as I’d heard “diabetics” could go 20 years without needing insulin. It was kind of a blur because at this point I was a month away from moving to another country. Put on a couple different oral meds. Moved to Guatemala and hooked up with a doctor there. I changed nothing about my diet which I considered healthy; hadn’t eaten sugar for 13 years due to an eating disorder. But as a vegetarian I ate fairly high carb. Tested my blood sugar twice a day and my numbers were good.

2008-About a year and two months after diagnosis my blood sugars were beginning a gradual but steady climb up. I put off worrying about it for a bit, then my doctor tried me on various other orals. The numbers still climbed.

2009-Am now regularly in the 200s with some numbers in the 300s and even low 400s. I realize I need to start on insulin but don’t know why. My doctor started me on too high a dose of Lantus at night (25-I now take 12!) so I was always low before my next meal but still having very high post-prandials. He wanted to start me on fast-acting insulin and I was resistant. Somewhere I think I read about “corrections” but didn’t really absorb what that was. I announced to my doctor I would take the fast-acting insulin “PRN” only when I was too high. He agreed to this and told me to take 5 units if I was high. (he later apologized). One day I was 209 at 9PM two hours after dinner so I took the 5 units.(I now correct with no more than 2 and 2/3 including IOB) Around 11:30 I found myself lying on my bed drenched in sweat and didn’t know what had happened. I reached for my test meter and glucose tabs, feeling like I was swimming through molasses. I tested at 39, but suspect I’d been lower, unconscious and my liver had kicked in. I popped glucose, realizing I was incapable of counting them or making sense of the clock to time my response.

March, 2009-I knew something was very wrong with all this. At first I thought it was due to my thyroid problem, started researching and found if the thyroid was stable it shouldn’t influence blood sugar and mine was. I picked up a 20 year old book on diabetes I had. I started looking at a chart of differences between Type 1 and Type 2. Like many people I’d thought Type 1 was what kids got. I started considering, hmmmm…could it be? I got on this and another website and started insanely reading everything I could find. I began hearing about LADA/1.5 and the more I read the more I knew I’d found my answer. I drew up a list of 5-6 factors I knew proved I was LADA.

May 2009-I went to an endo in Guatemala City. She’d never heard of LADA but confirmed, yes, you are a Type 1. It felt so good to hear because it confirmed what I already believed. (Until I thought, “huh, I’m a Type 1 diabetic and this is good news???” LOL)I started on a basal/bolus regimen. The endo just used a set dose, so I learned about I:C ratios, correction factors and carb counting. I changed my diet to moderate low so I could remain a vegetarian. I had no A1C on diagnosis, so will never know how high I started, but my A1C in May, 2009 was 7.2. In November 2009 it was 6.5, and this month it was 6.3

Circa 1973: Had just started pre-school in Denton, Texas, had the flu, and was looking kind of peaked. Classic frequent urination symptoms lead to hospital and diagnosis. I really don’t remember any of this. First family member; later, a 9-year-old male second cuz on my mom’s side and a teenage male cuz on my dad’s side developed type 1. So far, it’s only the three of us.

1974: Moved to Missouri w/ my family. I remember my dad let me practice giving him a shot (after I jabbed an orange a few times) in the thigh. He pretended it didn’t hurt. For a while, I gave my own shot (I sweat it was only one a day, but can’t remember) that my parents measured out. Lots of fun dropping urine into test tube and hoping for blue instead of orange. Still hate the color orange–especially the greeny gray orange of Clinitest.

1979: Diabetes camp at Swope Park in KC. Parents were tired of me not giving own shots (I refused after the first year), so shipped me to D camp. I was just glad to get to ride horses, so giving shots in unison with all the other campers was no big deal!

1980s: Began MDI. Early glucometers. Darn A1C tests! Couldn’t fool my docs anymore with artfully faked blood logs (tip: use different color pens, smear a little blood on the pages for versimilitude). Had the second of only two hospital incidents. Went too low on a hot summer day. Little bro had to call an ambulance. I remember one other time I was really low, walking home from school. Managed to make it home to the cookie jar.

1983-86: High school back in the Pretty in Pink days. Hooray for the 80s! Had my second hospitalization, due to high blood sugar and not being aggressive enough with the insulin. Missed my graduation–bummer.

1986-1990: Went to college. Diabetes was an afterthought. Studied in London (awesome). Diabetes still an afterthought. Somehow survived.

1992: Married my fabo husband (18 years this year, baby). Got a little more serious about diabetes care, still MDI.

1994: Began serious journey toward A1C of 6 so we could try for a child. Rocked it, rocked a pregnancy still on MDI (8-10 shots a day), great endo and a dietitan with type 1 helped me through despite living in a relatively small midwestern town without a major diabetes clinic. Had some high blood pressure last 2 weeks. Gave birth to gigantic 10 lb and healthy baby boy.

1997-2007: Wow! Parenthood, working full time, living far from family members–it’s hard to manage diabetes with all that going on. Some months, some years I did better than others. Went on the pump in 2002. Much better than MDI (especially temp basals for exercise and hormonal fluctuations).

2007: Took job as editor of Diabetic Living magazine (jeez, could I live diabetes and work diabetes? Fortunately, both have helped the other) and found the diabetes online community through tudiabetes, DiabetesDaily, and now Twitter.

Summary: I’ve always been slightly overweight, although I’m not gaining weight. Is it because I lack amylin and sensative of satiety after years of diabetes relationship with food? Or maybe I just don’t try hard enough. Still, am proud to be much more regular about exercising (good for my bg, blood pressure, and lipids!) My 12-year-old and I are on week 7 of a couch-to5k running program, which makes me proud. My A1C tends to hover around 7–sometimes a little above, sometimes a little below. I think I’ll need a cgm and possibly symlin to get any tighter, but I’ve had better luck with slow, deliberate changes that help me fit diabetes into my life instead of shape my life around diabetes, so no big hurry. I carb count and give some insulin for protein, but I have to admit I’m not terribly precise and I am not a creature of habit. Complications? Definitely some background retinopathy and a scare with a swollen macula about 18 months ago–slightly tighter blood sugar control gave me a “no clincally significant swelling” note last visit–hooray for me!

The best thing about my diabetes in the past few years is having met so many wonderful people, like Danny, who help me know I’m not alone. Thanks, Danny, for the chance to tell my story and to hear from others … can’t wait for the next chapters for all of us!

1958, June- Every night I pee the bed more than once and i am always thirsty. I am told I have diabetes, so what? They tell me I won´t get to eat candy anymore. I am started on insulin 3 shots per day. It is U40 Protamine zinc and regular. A1C is not avaialable yet and won´t be for 30 years. We test our pee. I am hospitalized for 3 weeks. BS tested 4 times per year at the doctors office or sometimes at the local hospital. Beofre each shot the syringe and needle must be boiled. I am 5 at diagnosis. I start giving my shots and have not quit since.

Sometime in the 60s NPH becomes available and i start using it. Also in the 60s disposable syringes and needles become available. They are too expensive, still boiling occasionally. We have storage tubes to keep the syringe and needles in alcohol between uses.We are still testing our pee. With NPH I quit having the hallucinations caused by the Protamine Insulin that is great for a 10 year old

Also in the 60s U80 insulin is released. It is 2 times as potent as the earlier insulins.At this time my legs were very hard from the scar tissue caused by the needles as they dulled after repeated usage.

No A1C available no BS testing available. Only indication of BS levels is how you feel. All food is weighed as I was on a calculated diet.

1970 graduated HS and went to college. Quit pee testing since it gave us no usable info. Took my shots religiously controlled what I ate. Life goes on. Weighed 155 lbs and was 6 ft tall. Seems was probably going DKA on a regular basis.

Sometime in the 70s U100 insulin is released. Wonderful stuff.

1978 backpacking in WY almost died from a crazy combo of sick and spirally BS. Vomiting non stop I did not know what to do. 2 friends walked out Was airlifted out of the mountains (we were 20 miles from the nearest road). Talking to people not there. BS was 880, also was 5 pints of fluid low. Next day I was riding a stationary bicycle in the hospital to bring my BS down. Next day I was released from the hosp. Throat was burned after vomiting gastric juices while waiting for rescue.

A1Cs become available sometime around the late 70s

1979 visual BS testing hit the market, I could not afford these strips.

1981 started working to launch the AccuChek meter. Got free strips from the company and really started testing BS. Also started intense weight training and added 30 lbs of muscle.

Health is good no side effects. Eyes perfect.during the 80s.

I stayed on NPH until Lantus has been available for a few years. Finally went on Lantus in the 2000s.

Studied the pumps and talked to people on them. They do not seem to be for me. My AiCs are always below 7 using shots. Pumps are to confining for my life style. On Lantus and Novolog my best A1C has been 5.3. My endo tells me he doesn’t like pumps because all his patients get fat.

No complications as the years roll by.
August 2009. Decided to try the Omnipod. Started using it and it was fun not to have to inject. Had my 2 worst BSs ever when the damn cannula pulled out once and just screwed up in another instance. After 11 months decided to stop the pump and go back on Novolog and Lantus. Having better BSs and it is more convenient.

After 52 years I remain comp free. I weigh 183 with 15% body fat. Just met a new girlfriend who is 15 years younger than me and we have a great time together. I am now 58 years old. I have defeated diabetes but I am unable to defeat old age. When I die they will say it was diabetes that killed me the truth is it will be life that kills me.

There are no magic answers to diabetes. My whole life they have said the cure is just around the corner, only 5 years away. They have been wrong for 52 years. The single biggest challenge I have to day is to keep battle going to consistently wrestle diabetes to the ground. No one can do it for me just as no one can do it for you. It is a lifelong commitment that only you can do.

Good luck to you all and remember 24/7 for the rest of your life.

My timeline:

Late December 1975 - On a bus trip to New Orleans to see Sugar Bowl (How ironic) at the age of 13, Alabama vs. Penn St., couln’t drink enough or pee enough, liquids ran right through me. Got back home January 1976, Dad took a urine sample to Dr.'s office in a mason jar, came home and retrieved me immediately and went to hospital, BG 1080, spent the next week torturing oranges and learning about diabetes. Placed on two shots per day, U100 Regular and NPH.

1976 to 1980 - Typical high school diabetic in the seventies treatment, two shots a day, occasionally check urine, doctors appointment 3 or 4 times per year to check BG, urine and A1C, I was never told the A1C numbers. Played baseball, basketball, ran track, water skiing, golf and whatever else I could do outdoors.

1980 to 1985 - College 5 year plan, lived at home, same regimen as above, just with different teachers and harder subjects, everything else was the same except that in 1982 received a glucometer, it was great until the supplies ran out and novelty of it all wore off.

1985 - Moved to Birmingham, Al - No more living at home where meals just magically appear on the kitchen table, attempted to find new Dr.'s to provide cutting edge care, “you are doing great why change anything”, continue above regimen but change the NPH to Ultra Lente, with the added bonus that according to my new Dr. I could eat ice cream, yes with sugar, because the fat molecules would block the sugar from entering my blood stream, didn’t work to good according to the pee strips.

1987 - Usually took my insulin injection before I left for work, must have already been low, stopped for gas, went in to pay, started feeling a bit light headed, picked up a brownie, but for some reason waited in line to pay before consuming, big mistake, passed out, full blown seizure, woke up half an hour later wondering who I was, where I was, when it was, what happend and why in the heck is my wallet stuck under my belt in the front of my pants. When my BG came back to normal they said I could leave, the ambulance didn’t bring my car with them however, I finally found it.

1985 to 1997 - Continued with the Regular and Ultra Lente regimen through the above 12 year period until I discovered a Dr. in Nashville in 1997 that had put a friends sister on the pump and she loved it. Made an appointment with him and told him I was in, A1C of 8.7. He wanted me to test my BG religously for the next month, still MDI, but now testing BG and watching everything that I ate, underfueled at Shoney’s, yes home of the Big Boy, got up to pay, wife and daughter already gone outside, carrying my two year old and it hit me, confused, someone help me, but I can no longer speak, wandered into the kitchen, burned my head on something, walking into wall repeatedly when wife came back in, this was a first for her, full blown seizure, she thought I was dying, had someone to drive my car this time though.

1997 to 2000 - Started on the Disetronic insulin pump, A1C’s < 7.0, Passed out at Wal-Mart in 1999, wife put a green Jolly Rancher in my mouth to bring my BG back up, didn’t work, when I left the hospital I found the candy in my hair on the back of my head.

2000 to 2003 - Switched to the Animas 1000 I believe, A1C’s < 6.5, one 5.1, Passed out at McCormick place in Chicago, 2001 at a trade show, woke up, an hour later in Mercy Hospital, don’t remember much about that event.

2003 to 2006 - Upgrade to Animas 1200, A1C’s < 6.5, Relatively quiet years.

2006 to 2010 - Upgrade to Animas 1250, A1C’s < 6.5, One major diabetic event, 2007, Water Park in Destin, Florida, The Big Kahuna, found myself on a slow moving water ride when it hit me, I guess with all the fun, I had forgotten to eat, I began the panic, what do I do, who do I tell, somebody help me, I told the life guard that I was in trouble and needed help, that didn’t work he just looked at me as if I had three heads, so I turned and dove down the last waterfall of the ride and passed out in the water, fortunately my 12 year old son was there to pull me out of the water, as I was seizing about, and saved my life.

May 2010 - Started on the Omnipod, in my opinion, best insulin delivery system offered to date. Dunked PDM in cooler 3 weeks ago while camping, didn’t have syringes for back up, barely found them almost an hour from campgound, I will be better prepared next time.

Quickly approaching 35 year anniversay in January. No complications to date. Have started wearing glasses (age related). All in all, I think that I have done pretty well, early years lack of information probably led to poor control, however, I am old school when it comes to eating sweets, I never did and I still don’t, the sugar free stuff is pretty good now, early years, not so good.

Thanks everyone for sharing your history, I have enjoyed reading them all.

This is tough – as I’ve never really kept a written record of my diabetes (have been reading some of yours - and they are so accurate - I feel like such a dumb dumb putting my contribution in here - as it’s not very accurate). Anyway, I just had diabetes – and lived with it – and never started to “analyze” it until joining up to the D-OC believe it or not (and any diaries I’ve come across make no mention of diabetes – just usual girl stuff, my gerbits, etc.).

1966-1967 – Age 6 – not well those years – chicken pox – losing weight – bed wetting (made parents VERY angry) – just remember being in the old farts section of hospital (diabetic children were under 1% of diabetic population in those days – much greater now). Spent 2 weeks while they figured out what to give to me. Don’t’ ask what my insulin was – something made of oink, oink – I know I used NPH (cloudy insulin). No A1C’s in those days as well.

1968-1971 – Urine testing, being a kid, giving once a day shots. Being a kid.

1972-1974 – I went to Camp Banting – diabetic camp – that was so much fun – did this for 3 years. Wanted to be a camp counselor but that never happened due to my eventually getting 2 part time jobs.

1975 - DKA – coma for 3 days – had been ill for about a year with “flu” - I think that year I was maybe in denial of diabetes, hanging around the Pop Shop (great drinks - SUGAR) - and the Candy Shop (more SUGAR ). Was flubbing urine tests with water at home (duhhhh), doctors knew something was up with blood work when I went to hospital for check up every “x” amount of months ( A1C’s were available then - but due to going to check ups alone I never asked - and if you wonder where my Mum was - she was working - I was left to handle my diabetes daily control since age of 10). Anyway, Mum got into a lot of $#@! for allowing me to be this way – but wasn’t her fault really. She allowed me complete control of my diabetes – I knew I was doing things wrong – case closed. Oh, went back to ER a few weeks after getting out of hospital due to eating a roll of life savers. I really was silly wasn’t I?
1976 – 1979 – High school years – I think I was still on one injection a day – still urine testing. Again, I just did my diabetic thing like a good soldier, did the teenager thing, busy with school/work/partying – just like any other normal kid

1980-1989 – Work / quit job / went back to live in England / worked/drank beer – used glass syringe/needle meant for elephant behind / came back to Canada/ work / partying (got into drugs / alcohol / rock ‘n roll) / used Medi-Injector for awhile – but got fed up with that after awhile. No memory really of what insulin(s) I used, etc. Just did what I had to do to stay alive and kicking. Started to use a HUGE blood meter then (husband remembers this).

1990 - 2010 – Moved to Montreal – worked / traveled / worked / bought house / settled down / started to take more notice of A1C’s at around 2000 – was usually 7% - which now that I know more about this – wasn’t bad for someone who doesn’t keep a log, etc. Again, don’t ask me which insulin’s I used, maybe HumilinR, I know for sure Lantus, NovoRapid later on. Went onto pump back in 2008 just for the heck of it, after using the poor man’s pump method (MDI). I now am back on MDI – since doing an “experiment” to see if control is as good as pump (lowest A1C I had on pump was 5.6%). Since being on MDI, my A1C has remained at 5.9% - and am happy with it (while doing MDI experiment – have used Levmir – but react in strange way to it which has been reported to NovoNordisk who claim they’ve never heard of this problem) – now back on Lantus / NovoRapid.

Anna aka FatCatAnna from Diabetes1.org

Danny, Yes I was going for Alabama, however, I ended graduating from Auburn, life is funny, especially the green jolly rancher, I asked my wife what the thought process was for giving someone having a seizure the most difficult candy in the world to dissolve. She too can laugh today. Thanks for starting this discussion, very enjoyable reading. The thoughts of a book with everyones one page story would be great reading. Of course if everyone replied it would be over 16,000 pages long. Take care. John

Danny,
That is who I remember. I remember her looking like that. I was just 4 years old at the time but I still can see her face.
Ray

Jan, 1984 - went to doctor after being constantly thirsty & running to the bathroom. Diabetes runs in the family so I suspected that was what it was. I don’t know the exact date but I do know that it was around Super Bowl time - my cousin and I had a bet on the Super Bowl, I won and didn’t collect my winnings (case of beer) because I didn’t think that I could drink beer again! I was started on insulin (guessing NPH & Regular). Originally, I was using the Chemstrips that you help up to a vial but a couple months later, my doctor managed to convince my insurance I needed a meter.

1997 - 1998 - had my first laser eye surgeries for retinopathy

2003 - started on Lantus

2003 - officially diagnosed with gastroparesis

2005 - I got an ulcer from dry-cracked skin and even though I went to the doctor on day one, my foot got infected and I went thru a two-year battle to save my leg. After being admitted to the hospital, I picked up MRSA. That summer, I put my stuff in storage and moved back with my family because I needed help - that lasted for 18 months.

2006 - I switched doctors and started traveling to Pittsburgh several hours away to save my leg.

March 10, 2006 was the about the scariest day of my life because I had surgery on my leg and didn’t know how much, if any, of my leg I would have when I woke up and I had my leg when I woke up. The doctor removed the inner part of my heel and left a shell of a bone. I had two more surgeries after that, one to remove antibiotic beads and the other to do a bone graft.

Aug, 2006 - started hyperbaric oxygen treatments for a total of 60 treatments

Dec 2006 - finally able to get my own place again

Mar 2007 - wound finally 100% closed after 2 years. I was told I was allowed to use my treadmill again & thought I won the lottery (did not think I would be allowed to because of the bone graft).

Dec 2007 - discovered online message boards, how to do basal testing & dumped Lantus for Levemir

May 2008 - started using Apidra

Summer 2008 - had two cataract surgeries

Nov 2009 - started using the Navigator CGMS

Jan 2010 - Navigator died

April 2010 - started using Dexcom CGMS

June 2010 - started using Animas Ping

Excellent, EXCELLENT post Kirk!!

PS August , 2010 I am trying Apidra insulin … numbers, 1 -2 hours after meal , looking better .Mostly using dual bolus .

1983 - dx @ 3YO - apparently i was climbing into the sink to drink from the tap and do you guys use a beaker of water to wash out your mouth after brushing your teeth? Well we did and I was trying to get water out of that - hospitalised - found they couldn’t get me to go low - put on pork insulin Velosulin? 2 shots a day
1985 - got a flower fairy doll for having my first of many jabs in my upper arm
1988 - still using pee sticks at primary (elementary) school Huge brick monitor and a pricker that’d give freddie kruger nightmares
1986 - my parents were involved in opening a specialist diabetes centre
1990ish - starting to use the first pens and DAFNE 4 - 8 shots
1993 - leaky kidneys - had to have biopsy, turned out to be just a really bad unshiftable infection making them a bit leaky, but did show the start of nephropathy.
november 1995 - i got flu - dka ensued - spent 3 days at home before gp sent me to hospital - very serious - nearly died then got pneumonia, spent xmas in hospital, blood sugars never really stabilised, depression, rebellion and a bit of noncompliance, I couldn’t control it on my own, no doctors were helping, I got lost in the system SO why bother right?
1996 - swapped basal from ultratard to insulatard due to catastrophic night hypos
1998 - A1c 13.4 Got a grip, wanted a family, started to try and turn things round
november 2000 - my first pregnancy, sadly miscarried, nurse blamed me and my 'noncompliance’
200? - lantus (stopped the night hypo’s mostly)
2006 - levemir/detemir trial night hypos gone
2007 - fluroscene angiogram on my eyes (homer simpson time) All clear
2008 - changed clinic, diagnosed almost immediately with PCOS (started taking metformin for PCOS which caused insulin resistance) A1c improves a bit
march 2009 - apidra and accucheck spirit pump :0) A1c 9.4%
June 2009 - A1c 8.7 eyes improved
Jan 2010 - A1c 7.8

Think that’s it mostly…

dargirl’s timeline

I’m a little fuzzy on the exact dates, but this is close:

1949 - 1961 - I am skinny, very active, healthy. I’m not fond of sweets. My grandmother gets type 2.
She says,“I’m diabetical from rye bread.”

1961 - My mother notices I’m tired all the time and thirsty. (No such thing as diet soda.) She recognized the signs.
Doctor diagnoses me as Type 1 and tells us that if I’m careful I may make it to age 60.
I spend a week in Bridgeport Hospital, learning how to shoot an orange with insulin.
I take one shot in mornings.

1961 - A few months later I wake up with my father’s arm around my neck, scraping a sugar cube across my teeth.
Doctor came and adjusted my dose.
Up to now I could take or leave candy and ice-cream. Now I really want it. Unfortunate instance of reverse psychology.

1961 - 1971 - I go from very skinny (pre-1961) to a little hefty.
Pork and beef insulin. No chance to be a vegetarian and live.
Glass syringes and metal needles. Boil before each use. I can’t count how many syringes I ruined forgetting it was boiling on the stove. Needles got blunter with each use.
Tested urine with test tubes on back of toilet tank.
-In college, all restraint disappears. I keep taking tests although every one turns dark brown (over 3+).

1970’s - New syringes! Plastic ones wrapped in paper. I cannot get the bubbles out. Take insulin with bubbles.
-Hitchhike through Europe eating candy bars. Not possible to take test tube tests. I get sick in Switzerland. The hospital gives me tests and gives me treatment and asks how I can possibly be walking around. When I leave, the nurses are at door waving. My husband and I are stunned… No payment necessary. I stop eating candy for a week.
I’m still taking just one shot a day.

Late 1970’s - I go into Joslin Clinic in Boston. I stay there until my sugar is even. One day I run to catch a bus and have a sugar crash. I decide I don’t want to live in such a way that I can’t run to catch a bus. Also, Joslin has no idea what to do with a vegetarian diabetic. Stay doesn’t do me a lot of good. They do teach me Exchange groups (I think). That helps.

Ronald Reagan’s crew decides that hospitals should be profit-making companies.

Next 20 years: SolorStar, KwikPen, Breeze2. Shameful and corrupt health care system takes firm hold.
My doctor tells me I’m not a good candidate for pump because my glucose levels continue to bounce up and down.
2000 - 2010 - Lymphoma, chemo.
Laser surgery to one eye. All okay.
Bad teeth. Inherited from my father and result of high acid in saliva from diabetes.
I know I am older than I want to acknowlege when the dental hygienist compliments me on how many teeth I have left!

2010 - Happily married. Living on a mountain in small town (1,000). Teaching ESOL and GED in Holyoke, MA.
Sugars still bouncing around.
Don’t do what I did. Looking back, I would have been more alert and healthy if I’d have kept up with it.
That’s it in a big nutshell.

REAL REAL hazy on the dates but here’s my timeline

Took Diabetes on August 10th 1973 done urine checking back then I was 10.Got my 1st bs machine in 84 (right after I was married that’s why it sticks in my mind) Had many lows in that time. Didn’t like the hangman lancet divice. Quit checking my bs’s. Tried to be “normal” during that time. Didn’t work too well! MANY HOSPITAL STAYS! In 87 got pg with my oldest daughter (a Type 1 in her own right) Started checking bs like crazy. Had her at 37 weeks (oh and I started pumping then) ! year later found out I was pg again (during the time of my daughter’s infancy went back to shots) Got on the pump the 2nd time. In 92 had a pancres transplant that worked for 2 years. After 7 different rejection episodes went back to pumping and have been doing that ever since. No hyporglosemic awarness at all for many years just a chance my husband of 26 years catches it or my kids do. Or even my g-kids do before I start seizing on them. Many Ambulance rides thanks to a low that hit when nobody was here.Lost my mom 67 years ago, lost my dad on the 11 of this month. Now just winging it.

I know that the dates aren’t there but hope this gives someone hope that there’s always another day you gotta get!

My story actually isnt all that different than Dannys. I just dont have any D tattoos yet. Its on the list though. =^)

1985 - 9 yrs old. started asking for evening snacks, one evening drink glass of water, pee, sleep, up one
hour later with the same thing till morning. go blind for the morning last memory is Dr. saying “this might hurt a little” Diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. H1c 10.?
In hospitol for 3-4 days. do a few pee tests,
needles and oranges…
Testing with multicolored strips matched to a vial and the guillotine finger pricker,
using Humalog (Humalin?) Regular and NPH.
Giving shots to self parents too shaky.

1986- H1c 8.5 Testing with multicolored strips and a meter (dont recall which)

1987 - wean myself off of insulin by figuring out water can make meter tests seem lower.
Docs go with it for 3+ months then see through the wool.
Dr. drop me due to lack of control, I bounce from Dr. to Dr.
Health insurance run my folks 1k a month.

1988-95 - 2-3 shots a day. Control bounces around
H1c usually 7-8 with the occasional 8.5
doctors say bouncing is bad, even Bgs are better – so 170 - low 200s are the norm (its high,
but Im not bouncing!)
Still massive lack of Dr. patient input. Testing 2-3 times a day.

1990 - Enrolled in California Major Risk Medical plan, Insurance drops to $300 a month.

1991 - Desires for a pump but no offers nor availability in sight.
constant promise of new devices with lack of follow through.
Testing 2-3 times a day.

1996 - Notice first signs of retinopathy when having severe LBS.
Still testing 2-3 times a day
D. takes second seat to busy life.

1999 - Discover Freestyle flash and forearm testing. Not as accurate, but testing 5-6 times a day.

1988-1995 - Drinking vodka like a fish. Testing 5-6 times a day H1c 7.x

2000 - Diagnosed with mild to NPDR - D Retinopathy
quit smoking, drinking.
Start testing with other meters using finger pricks 6-8 times a day.

2002 - 3 day trial on a MM CGM.
Start pumping on a MM 508
begin laser treatment on eyes
H1c, 7.x

2006 - Upgrade to MM 722

2008 - Use MM CGM, hate the infusion sets use for 1 year, call it quits.

2010 - MM 722 still with One Touch Ultra
Getting new CGMS thinking Dexcom
Lowing carbs in diet, Dr. say 150 pease Im think <80
Shooting for <6 H1c to minimize complications

Danny thanks for the great post.

February 1972. I was 17. The months before I noticed a lot weight loss, exhaustion, frequent urination and all those other known signs. I was a senior in high school in Miami where I grew up. My mother had notice that I was sleeping all the time and I told her that my periods had stopped. Next day she took me to the Dr. …During the visit the Dr. did my very first pelvic exam. The Dr… ran a couple of test. Hmmm… Maybe he thought I was pregnant, but he never asked me if I ever had sex. He sent me home, told my mother to give me plenty of liquids. I did juice and soda pop. :slight_smile: sound familiar?

Next day, Saturday the vomiting and unconsciousness started. I remember my mother calling for a neighbor to please help… I remember my parents driving me to the hospital, me laying my head on my mothers lap, vomiting into a bag and witnessing my parents fears. I vaguely remember what the hospital ER room was like, but I do remember starting hard labored breathing and the nurse placing the oxygen mask over my face.

Then 3 days later, Tuesday I woke up. In a fog and parents close by.

I remember 15-20 bags of IV solution one after another and the pain from the collapsed vein in my wrist.
I remember the nurse walking into the room and mentioning that I had Diabetes, and my mother giving her a glaring look.
I remember the flowers and stuffed animals that were sent from family and friends.
I remember the nurse bringing me a little blue paperbook from a pharm company UpJohn. How to care for your Diabetes? I read it, understood it and that was my intial presentation of diabetes education. All the infomation that I will ever needed to manage my Diabetes for the rest of my life.

After reading the book I asked the nurse, “What was my BS when I came to the hospital on Saturday”? She responded, “Your BS was 1200, I had never treated a patient with such a high BS before.”

THE ONSET OF OUR DIABETES IS A DAY THAT MOST OF US WILL NEVER FORGET…

1972-1973- Was prescribed NPH. I do not recall ever being told to take R for any correction. OH THAT’S RIGHT! We had no idea what our BS was…ha ha… I did urine test with a test tube. Then a few years later a Chemstrip that dipped into your urine would give you a range.

1974- I was a new bride (still married to him). Life was good and my Diabetes was virtually ignorned. I did take my insulin every day. I did the chemstrip thing occasionally. I do not recall doing an A1C.

1979- I’m Pregnant! OMG! What am I going to do? I never went to a pre pregnancy program for Diabetes, I just got pregnant! How did this happen? My Dr.'s told me that I should not have kids due to my Diabetes. The same Dr. that did a pelvic exam the day before my DKA, and forgot to asked if I ever had sex !!!

BUT!!! With a Capital B. Lucky me. I stumbled on to the biggest change in my Diabetes. A friend of mind hooks me up with one the best know Diabetes Drs in Miami and he was an Endo (I did not know what an Endo was in those days). It was Dr. Jay Skylar from the University of Miami. At the clinic I was able to learn how to care for myself. The new term was Self Management. A term that I was not familiar with. The glucose monitor was introduced, the clinic provided the strips. The meter was an Ames (you can see it in Danny’s historical stuff page). It was the size of a big book. It had a swaying needle at the top. You would dip your bloody finger on the strip then wash the blood off with water. The needle would sway anywhere from, 150-200… You think we have problems with todays meters. I don’t think so. I will never be a person that would complain or have an issue with accuracy. (thats another topic so sorry).

1. June I have a beautiful baby girl. Oh thank you lord for bring her into our life and healthy. I purchased my first of many glucose meters $500. I had to give up the one to the University of Maimi. My new found method of self management could not be managed with peeing on a strip any more. My baby girl was 8.9 oz. A little big for a Diabetic baby, but she was very healthy, lungs were fully developed.

1985- Moved to Central Florida. there was no Endo in the town that I lived in. I had to rely on a family practice. I did so-so with my Diabetes. Yes I was slacking. I did take my insulin every day, I tested and did minor sliding scale corrections on my own with R. I had other priorities.

1990- Early 1990’s the Dr.(Family Practice) prescribed 70/30 with a little bit of R on a sliding scale. I was not very good about going to the Dr. on a regular basis. I did take my insulin every day. I had poor insurance coverage. After finally getting better insurance, I made an appointment to see him about my diabetes. HE REFUSED TO TREAT ME! … F him!

1991- Found another Dr…, Dr. Dum ■■■…she prescribed drugs Metforin and Resulin along with 70/30 sliding scale. I did that for a year. The toilet and I were the best of friends. The next year Resulin was pulled from the market. Possible liver damage. I explained to this Dum ■■■ Dr. that I was a Juvenile Diabetic. Did she not know what I was talking about? Did she not know the differance? That is why I referred to her as Dr. Dum ■■■.

1992- The town in Central Florida finally has an Endo. He test my A1c…I remember 10-11. He continued to treatment with 70/30. Six months later A1c is 8. It’s amazing what an Endo and insurance can due for Diabetes Care.

1999 - Moving to Wisconsin. Lot’s of stuff happening. Moving, Selling house, Just Crazy. I had my very first bad low, while sleeping. This episode required an EMT. We lived 40 miles from the hospital. The EMT’s new exactly what to do. IV in the hand, get her a something to eat, a few dead brain cells, then 2 hours later my BS is raging like a Tsunami. BS is 300-400. It was the very first time that my husband had witnessed total unconscious’s with a twist of crazy. I was very combative to him when he found me. I thank god that he heard me and came running and called the EMT.

2000 - Living in Wisconsin hooked up with Medical College of Wisconsin. I believe that University Medical Schools enviroments give you the best Diabetes care.

They tell me they have a “new insulin”. LANTUS. Finally someone has created a drug that makes sense to Diabetics. No major waves, curves or mountains that you have to match your life up to. I did have to learn how to count carbs. Does anyone remember the food exchange process?

2003 Required EMT assistance for a Low.

2005 Required EMT assistance for a Low.

2006 Another insurance changed my Endo and MCW is no longer on the “insurance providers approved list”. I have to obtain care from a Family Practioner. WHY THE HELL DO INSURANCE COMPANIES CONTROL OUR DIABETES CARE AND WHO WE CHOOSE TO TREAT US? sorry that would need to be a seperate disscussion on Tudiabetes. Control yourself dargirl.

2007- At a family picnic I noticed a distant family member’s wife and she had an insulin pump. Very interesting? I asked many questions. We chatted for over 2 hours.

2009 Required EMT assistance and hospital transport required for a low.

2009 - July, I WANT A PUMP! I want better control of my life. I am tired of chasing low BS all the time. I read every possible piece of infomation, did the online training pump classes, found online Six Until Me, Diabetesmine, tu Diabetes. OMG THRE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE JUST LIKE ME! I HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH THIS FREAKING DISEASE FOR THE PAST 38 YEARS AND NEVER HAD A CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE LIKE ME.

2010- April I got my pump. Medronic Revel 723, My life has change. Yes I am the one that is in control. I am still the one that has to self manage. I am blessed that throught these crazy years I have lived without any major complicaitons.

2011 and the future…A cure would be nice, but I do not see it in my future. Perhaps the cure will come to my friends here at TuDiabetes, whose time lines that started in 2000, 2005, 2010… Not someone like me who has been surving this crazy disease for almost 39 years. So a cure will not be in my timeline, BUT… A CGM WILL BE FOR ME IN 2011! … SO BACK OFF DIABETES!..

Yay for you! Thats pretty inspirational. I recall those Chemstrips. In '85 when I was DXed I had to do a few and they were talking about how they were on the way out. Then it was the blood on the stip to match the color. Thanks for sharing!