Diabetic Amyotrophy--or whatever it is!

I’ve been having intense aching pain in my back and legs, all the way down to my feet, for a couple of months. It’s so bad that the rescue meds I normally take 3 or 4 times a month (for lupus and arthritis), I’ve taken days at a time, 4 to 8 500mg hydrocodones a day. Plus Aleve, Excedrin ,Lyrica, arhtitis rubs–and still hurting so bad I can’t sleep.

My legs and feet are so numb at times I can barely walk and have to use a cane for balance.

Because I’ve had failed disks in the pastm my primary sent me to a neurosurgeon. He suggested DIABETIC AMYOTOPHY and sent me to a neurologist. He didn’t think it was amytrophy, but scheduled an EEG and an EMG for next week. (I should mention that I am also seeing the neurologist because I blacked out a few weeks ago and totaled my car.)

The condition seems to come and go to some degree. Today it’s not so bad; I’ve had only one hydrocodone. And I can walk without so much pain.

Complicating the issue is that I also have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (lupus and other autoimmune syndromes), arthritis, fibromyalgia, lifelong major depressive disorder, degenerative disk disease. Several years ago I was diagnosed with diabetic autonomic neuropathy. At times it’s hard to tell where the pain is originating, since I have it 24/7, all over. Normally, I can tune in out. Not this.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this sort of complication, has any suggestions about what may be causing it, or has suggestions about possible remedies.

Thanks.

Following up: It's NOT amyotrophy, according to the neurologist. Just my old friend Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy, with which I was diagnosed some years ago, when it was causing Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The pain has subsided, and the numbness and swelling are far less, so I can walk pretty well again. NOW I'm having orthostatic hypotension, making it impossible to get out of bed without dizziness. I'm using a walker in the mornings and will try meclazine, suggested by my doc. Anyone else have this?