Diagnosis Stories

I got home pretty tired (avoiding my teachers gaze really took it out of me obv) and my mom said “don’t sit down! you’re doctors appointment is in 10 minutes”. I thought to myself, ‘sheeeet’ then ‘oh yeah probably something to do with my epic pee sessions and that blood test this morning’. I was hoping to watch some of The Simpsons or something.
I got to the doctors office and described my ‘symptoms’. The doctor asked me to pee in a cup and I was like “the pleasure is all mine doc”. He then dipped a strip with some raised tabs on it in the cup of pee and the tabs changed colour. My mom and I didn’t know what was going on so we were steeped in anticipation. The doctor glanced at me and then looked at my mom and gave a slow but distinct single nod with his lips flattened. My mom clenched me as the doctor described to my mom how I should get a glucose monitor and insulin. Like in a movie, my mom and doctor discussed while I sat looking blankly (music plays in the background to mask the voices to highlight my blankness).

I bet there are way more interesting stories out there other than my very observant diabetic mom noticing my symptoms. Anyone got any interesting ones to share?

The rest of this blog can be found here: https://the-hypo.com/blog/f/2-im-diabetic-now-diagnosis

1 Like

I was at Disney World in Orlando. My parents waited a week to come home to Indiana. By God they paid for Disney world and they were staying .

#DisneyGaveMeDiabetes

#DisneyOwesMeAVacation

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ouch haha that’s memorable I suppose, but for the wrong reasons :sweat_smile:

Loved your writing!! Made me chuckle.

When were you diagnosed? In recent years I thought they would of skipped the pee test and went straight to a blood test.

1 Like

Thank you so much! That made my day. I’m actually working on my blogs so if you’d like to see more then please visit my site http://the-hypo.com/ :grin: .
I was diagnosed in 2007 and If I remember correctly it was a ketone strip. I think he also did a quick blood test and sent some blood off for examination.

That makes sense.

1 Like

I was in the Air Force and my mom told me that I had diabetes since I was losing weight and urinating a lot. Reported into sick call and told the doctor that I thought I had diabetes. He just laughed out loud and asked me why I thought that. (I know he thought I was probably trying to get out of some duty}. I told him that 1-lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks, 2 -I had excessive thirst, 3-excessive urination, and 4-that my mom’s family had a lot of diabetics. He quit laughing and jumped out of his chair and had me to do the urine test and he also drew blood. This was the only time I ever had a doctor laugh at me. He also later told me I would not live past 60. I was 29 then and I am 75 now and still kicking.

3 Likes

If newer insulins and other changes had not occurred, more of those predictions would have come true.

I was dx’d in 1965 and heard much of the same.

On the other hand, through the 80s, I was told many times a cure was just around the corner.

I was told this as well when I was diagnosed in 1995. sigh

1 Like

In early 90s, I think is when DCCT results started coming in.
So then I heard more about lowering A1C to prevent complications. Less talk about cure, more talk about “control”.

1 Like

You’re longevity is so impressive! So much respect for how you’ve dealt with it.

I guess I heard both. I was told early on that I could live a normal life as long as I controlled my diabetes. Control means different things now than it did then though.

I think I was lucky to be diagnosed when I was - being diagnosed/born 10 years earlier would’ve been more challenging.

But I still find the whole “cure in the next five years” to be very annoying.

3 Likes