Did Minimed "improve" its sensor technology - i.e. make them shorter-lived?

I've been using the Minimed CGM system off and on for the last three years with the Paradigm pump. It used to be that when the sensor ended I could restart it two and sometimes three times (recharging in between uses) and the readings got more accurate and consistent the longer I wore a sensor. I just started a new box of sensors though, and I've gone through four of them already, and with every single one, after the first three days the readings have gotten wildly, grossly inaccurate. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know if Minimed changed the sensors in order to maximize their own capital and make sure we got limited use out of each one? Not sure how they'd do that but something is different and not for the better.

From my experience, every box (lot) has a different life. My current box of sensors is lasting 6-7 days consistently while my previous box lasted only 4 days.

I am getting 5 or 6 days out of each sensor. When I try to go longer, I get crazy numbers - it isn't worth the hassle. I figure that I am doubling the time of each one, and am satisfied with that.

I find it is from sensor to sensor. I get usually 6 days from each. I don't like keeping anything in one spot longer. I think I could go 9 on some, but I don't. I felt the same about the dexcom. I had it when they had 3 day sensors and I kept them in for 6 days.
When you order them ask for the ones with the longest expiration date. They will actually do it if you ask. I find the ones that are the "freshest" work the longest.
I live very near to MINIMED and I switched out a box that was 3 months from expiring and they told me to ask when I ordered the next time.

My insurance company orders them for me, but I had them add a request to get the expiration that is the furthest out printed on the order.

To me, it's days 2-5 that are usually the best. I had a few that seemed to get really "off" for the last day, to the point that they were almost useless but the last couple of batches seem to have improved back to cover 6 days. I've never bothered doing longer than that with them.

As they have rolled out the enlite(sp) in EU the life of the cgms has shortened to 3-5 days. Sometimes you can turn it off, disconnect it and restart to get another day or two. The Life of the sensors has shortened. But since they rate hand made, the may be the issue also.

I agree with you beanstock ...maybe a bit longer lifespan than what you are experiencing ; day 5 seems relatively fine , then accuracy goes down hill quickly . Will I continue using them ...another question ??
What seems to help me, if away from home and no hubby to wake me in the middle of the night for a finger poke , the alarms waken me ...a bit of security . MM has advised me to drink lots of water and not dehydrate ??

I have not experienced any major change...going on my fifth year. My experience with the RT/system has only gotten better over the years. My sensors have always been unstable for 10-24 hours after start up but I use two transmitters and make the switch when the new sensor has been soaking for about 10 hours and wear each sensor for 168 hrs.

This type of discussion has been taking place for years and no one has been able to produce any evidence that confirms a change to the Sof-Sensor MMT-7002N they have not even made a change to the part number..in late 2008 they stopped placing the heat sensor tattle tail on the box and said we no longer need to keep them in the ice box when it 's warm. I know some people that have continued to keep their sensors in the fridge, my house stays the same temperature year around and I have never kept my sensors in the fridge.

Although I only wear my sensors for about 7 days they still have a strong Isig: numbers and a good calibration factor. I like to stay on a schedule and just make the switch with each transmitter recharge...My 14 day SG average is always between 1% to 3% of my MG average and this is well within the advertized accuracy of both the sensors and my meters.

I have had some sensors that have refused to work but overall....life is good;-)

I met up with a Canadian Medtronic lady this past week and asked her about where the Enlite roll out in Canada is at ...her response : still with Health Canada .

As a Dexcom user, input here is most interesting and thank you.

As best as I can tell, these sensors technology/approach are used in Dexcom and minimed. That the technology lasts any time at all as body is furiously trying to wall off/occlude the sensor as a foreign invader. I am told that over time as body occludes the sensor, its sensitivity drops down and the elctronics is doing a yeoman job attempting to get accurate readings as sensor ages/occcudes in body.

I found article on a sensor that could last a year and a discussion comparing the issues on the new proposed sensor and current minimed/dexcom sensors.

FYI

2931-glucose_implant_sensor_glysyn.doc (117 KB)

Minimed sensors last me ~ 3 weeks. Yes sometimes its happening some "lows" - below 2.2 or constant "Weak signal". Recharging of battery very often solving this issue.