Diet Questions

So, on my last pregnancy my bg went stupid with carbs. Any carbs. Bread was a key offender, whether white, dark, toasted, whatever. I tried a few different carb sources, then went back to my lowish carb diet, vegetables, including cabbage, carrots, tomatoes (the ‘higher’ carb variety), legumes (chick peas, beans, etc) yogurt and berries as they were slow enough not to spike me. I usually ate about 80-100g carb a day.
My DE at the time said that i wasn’t eating enough ‘faster’ carbohydrate - and that i was starving my baby. (“You can’t go nine months without bread”).
I tried to find a nutritionist to ask about it, but none would take on a Type 1 pregnant diabetic. I miscarried shortly later due to a chromosomal problem with the fetus, but kept looking for info.
Now i have found someone willing to work with me, and i have an appointment for the 25th Nov.
She already mentioned on the phone that one would HAVE to eat at least 90g carb - but no mention as to what kind of carbs that should be.
I was wondering what everyone else has experienced/ had success with, so i can ask relevant questions when i have the appointment? I want to put together an eating plan, in case we get pregnant again, so that will be one less thing to stress about…

What resources/tools do you have to work with?? Do you use a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor)? Pump? MDI?

Do you pre-bolus for high GI carb meals?

I have recently read that people who are auto immune are gluten sensitive. I have known for some time that many T2s that wheat spikes them, including me, this could be the reason you could not eat bread.

I use a freestyle Libre - no beeping, but it does give me a graph/ line to follow.
I am type one on MDI, using NPH, R and humulog- so yes, I did pre-bolus by up to an hour/90 min, basically whenever I could see my bg start going down, then I’d eat. Not convenient or easy, but worth it if it all works out. We’ve been trying so hard.
I’m mainly wondering about the difference between carbs- is it really “better” for me to eat 30g of high starch carb as opposed to 30g of vegetable or legume sourced carb?

Hi,

I’m on my 4th pregnancy, T1 for 3.5 years.
My blood sugar goes crazy during pregnancy but got a couple of ideas for you to think about.
First idea, have you tried switching insulin? I have heard and read that sometimes we (T1’s) can develop an aversion to a certain insulin esp if we have been using it for a long time. Have you tried to Novolog? Please talk to your endo about trying a different insulin.
Second idea, during pregnancy insulin needs increase exponentially due to hormones. So no matter what you eat, your insulin needs are going to increase. You need to keep adjusting your Carb ratio numbers, sensitivity numbers and basal settings until your BG readings are in the target area. It takes some time but work at it with your OBGYN and/or Endo until it all works. You shouldn’t do this alone. Your team of doctors need to work with you to help you with this.
Third idea, From what I understand, veggies are always better than Simple carbs such as bread but in order for veggies to be absorbed properly in your body you need to eat some fat with veggies or carbs that turn into fat eventually. You do need to eat enough calories. Veggies don’t have a lot of calories in them.
As far as the bread or other carbs, I would high suggest not eating “White Bread.” Its way healthier for you and baby to eat Whole grain bread, not whole wheat although thats good too, “Whole Grain Bread.” You will need to read the bread packaging, it should say Whole grain on it I believe Sara Lee sells a whole grain bread. Whole grain usually has less carbs but you can also buy low carb bread. 11grams to 12 grams a slice or lower is typical for low carb bread. Its normal to eat carbs during pregnancy and you should-don’t go crazy though.
What really works with many diabetics is to pair proteins with carbs. So if you have bread, had veggies and meat or protein alternative with it. I also eat veggies and protein before carbs in a meal and those slow the digestion process of the carbs once you eat them last. I also read an article recently that a study proved that eating veggies and protein slow the digestion of carbs (glucose) in the body. Try that too.
As for possible digestion issues, ask your endo about that. I don’t have any experience with that.

Lastly, I am deeply sorry for your loss as I read that you miscarried. I had a miscarriage before this pregnancy. It was earlier on, soon after conception but it was still painful. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Busybee

Busybee, congrats on your pregnancy! Thank you for your thoughts, we are trying to stay positive, and i am trying to be as proactive as i can so hopefully, one day, it will work out for us.
I did switch insulin, from Humulin, to Liprolog, and then to Humolog, and it does make many things much easier. Now, when I’m not pregnant i can eat pasta and wholegrain breads (I get one with a lot of nuts and seeds), but while i was pregnant, they just made everything go crazy, even if i had it with butter, or cheese. I tried all kinds of bread (I live in Germany and they have a huge number of different kinds, they’re weirdly proud of it…), but they all produced the same result - straight up to over 150. I didn’t really try it with protein, as meat and eggs made me feel ill. I always have some kind of fat with my vegetables, usually cheese - I’m a huge cheese fiend - or olive oil.

As to whole grain foods - i only eat wholegrain/ wholemeal, pasta, bread whatever. I just grew up that way and they taste more ‘normal’ to me as a result. Unfortunately, in Germany, we don’t have a lot of the products that i hear people talking about online, there are very few ‘diet’ drinks (coke zero is about it) and low carb products are almost unheard of - even sweeteners have to be bought online. I’m sure there is a store here somewhere that stocks them, but i haven’t found it yet.
Thank you for the protein advice - i will ask the nutritionist about that for sure!

Hi Kokos,

I’m glad you switched insulin. I forgot to mention in my first post that I had this issue too. I’ve only been a diabetic for 3.5 years and after my first diabetic pregnancy (my third child, second daughter) after I gave birth, I struggled so much with insulin resistance issues. I was originally on Novolog but now i’m on Humolog. I’ve never had an issue since but it was horrible. Since I was diagnosed with diabetes my AlC was always really controlled and my BS had never reached over 200. When I went through this struggle which was for about a month maybe two, my blood sugar went over 300. It really threw me. so I do understand completely the frustration.
Sounds like you eat really healthy, which is awesome! :slight_smile: I love cheese too! :blush: My favorites are blue cheese especially on salads and I love deli Muenster cheese. I also love Fontina and Mozzarella cheese. I’ve tried other cheeses, I am a cheese lover but those are my favorites.
I have seen a couple of nutritionist in the US that recommend the pairing the protein and carbs consistently.
I know cheese has milk in it but it acts like a protein for me. It really doesn’t affect my BSs. It doesn’t necessarily have to be eggs or meat. Do you like Tofu? My husband is asian so we make lots of stir fry concoctions. I love light fried tofu. The nutritionist will most likely have more ideas too.
Stay focused and positive.

Busybee

1 Like

I didn’t think of tofu!! I will have to remember that one as well!!

Hi kooks.

There is no such thing as essential carbs, though there are essential fats and proteins. Your Baby doesn’t know what you eat only what your blood sugar is. Grains are not an essential part of a diet though vegetables certainly are due to the vitamins, minerals and cofactors they contain. Some good websites are low carb mama and paleo mama. Key here is nutrition and eating nutrient dense foods not carbs.

I normally don’t eat grains. I do eat plenty of veges. I typically don’t eat fruit, though I do use bananas to treat a low or before extended exercise. My last successful pregnancy I had very high and increasing blood sugars from day 1. I ate very low carb as per the description below. But did not obsessively count carbs. I had pretty good blood sugars and my highest a1c was 5.6. I used about 100u of insulin / day by the end of the pregnancy. No significant lows. My two girls were both about 7.5 lbs each and very healthy.

I am a very firm believer in low carb (as low as you need to be to control sugars), moderate amounts of high quality protein, and unlimited healthy fats to appetite and to make up calories (by healthy fats I mean unprocessed traditional and naturally occurring fats such as butter, cream, lard, animal fats, nut oils including coconut and olive - but no vegetable oils ). On this diet I ate all vegetables except potato and corn. Heaps of eggs and cheese. Nuts (including almond flour), small amounts of dark chocolate, full fat dairy (mainly cheese and cream - occasionally you hurt, a little milk), meats focusing on fatty cuts. Ate vegetable fruits like tomato, capsicum, avocado, eggplant- but rarely if ever tropical and sweet fruits. Rarely if ever eat tofu and only if it is not GMO. Another good book is Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, and the website by Weston Price.

Hope this helps. Remember there are no essential carbs (it is not true that you needs carbs to survive) and your baby doesn’t know what you eat only that your blood sugar is high or very low, and that the essential amino acids (protein), fatty acids (fats), and nutrients (vitamins and minerals) are reaching it. However, to be on the safe side avoid excessive metabolic ketosis (cannot be avoided overnight when fasting). This would put your amount of carbs probably at 50 - 60 g/ day.

1 Like