Disconnecting Dexcom from Tandem for Omnipod Training

I’m a T-slim user, but giving Omnipod a try to see if I like a tubeless pump. I’m doing the training on Monday. For the training, I’m supposed to have “an active Dexcom G6 sensor using the phone app only.”
Right now my G6 is using both the phone app and transmitting to my t-slim. To allow G6 to connect to an Omnipod, I’m assuming I’ll have to stop the Dexcom’s connection to the T-slim. I’d like to do this without ending my G6 session and having to start a new one.

I’m pretty sure all I need to do is put my phone in the microwave, end the session on my Tandem pump, wait a while, and, when I take the phone out of the microwave, the session should still be going on the phone even though I ended it on the pump.
Has anyone done this? Do you think it will work or will the transmitter know that I ended the session and end it for both devices even though the phone was isolated from bluetooth?

I am so glad you are trying this, as an IT guy I’ve always wondered what if anything Dexcom does to protect the transmitter.

Keep your phone out of the microwave and don’t end the sensor session. The G6 transmitter is the only thing that keeps track of what devices to connect to. We know that if you get a replacement Tandem pump it can be paired to the same Dexcom transmitter that was paired to the old pump and the Omnipod does the same every 3 days. So the first thing to try is just pairing the Omnipod to your Dexcom transmitter and see what happens. I’m curious if the transmitter stops sending data to your Tandem pump if the Omnipod pairing is successful.

If the Omnipod doesn’t pair to the G6 transmitter turn off your Tandem pump , wait 15 minutes then try to pair the Omnipod again.

Thanks so much for your response. I did the training. You were right that you don’t need to end the sensor session (or use the microwave to isolate the phone). You do need to turn the Tandem off. The Omnipod won’t be allowed to connect until you do. You don’t have to wait 15 minutes, though. As soon as the Tandem is off the Omnipod can start searching for the Dexcom bluetooth signal. Didn’t actually time it, but it might have taken about 15 minutes for that to happen so you could also be right that that’s how long it takes the transmitter to let the other device go, but you don’t have to wait any time before letting the Omnipod try.

Well and here I had this incredibly snarky response all set to go reminding you “Just remember not to start the microwave.” Guess I’ll have to save it for another opportunity. They don’t come up that often, sadly.

Actually, I do use the microwave for a different maneuver (which allows me to overlap G6 sensors using the T-slim) and I always tell my wife at least three times, “Please don’t start the microwave!” and she always answers, “Why would I just start pressing buttons on the microwave?” But, it’s the one time you don’t say anything…

Thanks for trying to pair before turning off the Tandem. Seems like the G6 Transmitter won’t allow a new pairing until it fails to connect to a device.

Turning off bluetooth on the phone doesn’t work for your sensor overlap trick? It’s all fun and games until… your cat starts the microwave because your nephew was playing with the laser pointer?

It’s my pump that I isolate, actually, not my phone, in the overlap maneuver. I’ve never tried to turn off the Bluetooth on my t-slim, not certain it’s an option.
The pump in the microwave does always feel a little risky. My cat occasionally plays the piano* but so far has left the microwave alone.

• This is 100% true, though “walks on the keys” might be the way some would describe her musical stylings.

I don’t want to go too far off topic but my cat used to do this and I’m a very light sleeper so it drove me nuts. Finally figured out a way to stop her. Make some long loops of Scotch tape with the sticky side facing out, and lay them across the keys. They hate the sensation of anything sticking to their little paw pads. Plink plink mmaaaRRROOWWW! thump! Problem solved.

1 Like

Oh no, don’t turn off the bluetooth. Eventually the pump will get nuked and you can send it back with a note saying “Won’t initialize. Can’t find problem” and Tandem can recreate the 2nd number one ad of all time for Wybron color scrollers from the 90s.

So how did the training go? Did you like the OmniPod? It is the only pump I have used since 2009, and I would NEVER have a tubed pump. I hope that it worked out for you. Will you switch?

Actually, yes, it does. Just tried it this morning. After about 15 minutes of being isolated from a device, the transmitter apparently disconnects from that device. I was using the microwave because I didn’t think of just switching off Bluetooth…plus I must have been unconsciously addicted to the cat and spousal drama!

I’m liking the Omnipod 5. Haven’t made a decision about switching yet. There’s a lot to consider and maybe I’ll post a personal comparison once I have some more experience.
I’m not that adverse to having a tubed pump, but, I must say, it’s kind of cool to just be able to change my clothes without removing my pump or juggling with it in one hand. It’s been a long time since I haven’t had a tether with a small weight at the end.

I have to admit that the OmniPod has the advantage of not having to take it off to change clothes. I also like that I can shower without disconnecting anything, and I can swim in the summer without having to interrupt my flow of insulin even for a second. As a woman, I also appreciate that the OmniPod can be anywhere on my body, and I do not have to worry about having a waistband or a belt on which to attach any other pump “accessories.” (Great when one is wearing a dress!) And sleeping without having to worry about getting tangled in any tubes or other devices is an added benefit in my mind. However, a pump is a very personal choice and one that must both work for you and fit your lifestyle. Let us all know what you decide to do.

I’m wondering if you could answer a question for me regarding the Omnipod. I’ve been afraid to try it, because my infusion sites for my Tandem and Medtronic before that often don’t absorb insulin as I expect them to. I always check for lumps, thickness, etc., but I will still get dead zones. True Steel infusion sets can be removed and I can try again on another site, so I don’t have to waste the set. It would be so expensive to waste an entire pod. Can you reinsert the Omnipod if the infusion site doesn’t work, or if it doesn’t absorb very well?

You cannot place an Omnipod in a new spot once it has deployed. I’ve never done either of these things, but I believe you can 1) request a replacement Pod from Insulet because of a bad site 2) use a syringe to recover the insulin in the wasted pod to reuse in a new pod.

Using a pod is a little different from an infusion set because, at least in theory, it opens up areas on your body where you’ve never used an infusion set that may be less “worn out”. Also, the cannula goes in very shallow. Don’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing, but it’s a difference.

It’s definitely very different from the TruSteel experience where I sometimes kind of feel around for a good spot. With the pod you stick it where it’s going to be and that’s that. The cannula deploys automatically when you press a button on your PDM and there’s no second chance with that pod. At that point, if you don’t like it, all you can do is pull the thing off your body, try to recover the insulin and throw it out.

So far, the infusion sites have seemed ok to me, but it’s definitely a consideration. If you found yourself throwing out lots of pods, it would certainly be wasteful. Keep in mind, though, that there’s no long term commitment if it doesn’t work for you.

Thank you so much. Once I’m eligible for a new pump, I’ll see if I can try an Omnipod out without having to purchase it first. I’m in Canada, so I’m not sure if we have a trial policy here.

1 Like

You already know that you cannot reuse a Pod once it is adhered to your body. I agree that you can remove it and try to draw out as much insulin as possible, although be aware that you will not be able to draw out ALL of it.

That said, I was on MDI for over 40 years, and parts of my body were starting to “scar” to the point where injections were difficult and absorption was poor. Fifteen years ago, I started the OmniPod. I have been able to use many more sites that I could not easily use as injection sites, and I have found that some of those “worn out” sites seem to work with the OmniPod. Of course, everyone’s body chemistry and tissue make-up are unique, but I have found that the OmniPod works well for me.

1 Like