Do you bump your bloodsugar?

I use humalog. If I am low at 2 hrs after a meal, I am probably on the road to a low. Walsh in “Using Insulin” suggests that 20% of Humalog/Novolog is used up in each hour after injection. That means that a low at 2hrs is being backed up by 60% of my meal bolus is waiting in the wings to hit me. If I had a large protein or fat meal, I might be ok, I’ll often take 3-5 hours to digest some major steak. But for a pretty fast digesting meal, all that yummy glucose is probably far gone.

In the future, hopefully all pumps will support a carb correction feature allowing you to enter your blood sugar and computing the number of carbs you need to eat to “cover” the insulin still on board. At this time, I believe most pumps will only factor this in as part of computing a carb bolus.

The Cozmo was the only pump to ever have done this, I think. Shame it’s gone.

But what is insulin on board? In a perfect world there is no such thing. You inject for the carbs or to correct your BG. If there is still insulin on board there is still something to digest - I would call that carbs on board. Some pumps just take the correction insulin to calculate the insulin on board. This is based on the assumption that the I:C factor is correct. I see the rational behind that. But the real problem is that the work that is done by one insulin molecule is increased the more physical activity we have - especially the muscles can consume more than usual. Without physical activity we would come out perfect. Add a little activity and you end up lower. These dynamics are not represented in the mathmatical model of the insulin on board. We need detectors for the burn rate of glucose :wink:

Actually both the Medtronic Revel and Animas pumps can do that… But I know the point you’re making.

The is a large number of variables influencing BS. Some of them we can control. Some we can’t and some we don’t even know what they are. All most of us can do is get rates that work most of the time and tweak them as we go along.

Yes; always bumping up the BS slightly; for instance, if she is 70 or 80 and she is not going to eat right away, I will give her a few grams, depending on what her activity will be. If 70, experience has told me, in the absence of carbs, she will be going down. Not too many, though, one gram raises her BS 5 points, so it’s easy to calculate. She has been taught to do these calculations on her own.

I defiinitely “bump” my BGs sometimes. Although, the other day, this totally worked against me because I checked my BG after a big celebration dinner that included gluten-free pasta and gluten-free chocolate cake. I had to guess the carbs completely, so I took quite a bit of insulin! Two hours after the meal my blood sugar was 80 mg/dL.

I assumed I was going low considering how much insulin I had to take for the meal, maybe I over-guessed…so I ate an apple to bring it back up and, an hour later I was at 215 mg/dL.

So sometimes, my “bumping” is unneeded!

I am a pusher, when I have been a dragger, just results in severe highs later on.

I have had a lot of unneeded bumps as well, and if I would just be patient and/or gave it more thought.

Yes, I can see that this “bumping” idea, especially without a CGM can be driven by anxiety and fears of lows. Really to me 80 is pretty much a perfect number. So unless I was in a situation where I couldn’t afford to be low, like going into a presentation where I couldn’t discreetly pop a couple glucose tabs and wing it for 15 minutes, I wouldn’t consider using all those extra carbs and risking highs. But then my own personal neurosis is my fear of weight gain so I have an entirely different motivator driving me!

Exactly Zoe, it is the anxiety that causes me to bump, I did it at the endo’s office today, starting at a 93 and ended up bumping to 177, totally did not need the bump.

I’m a bumper. It seems necessary to keeping tight control… maybe I’m wrong about that. To me, bumping ≠ correcting. A bump is like 2-3 skittles.

Yes, I noticed that you said in your original post that you “bump more than you like to”, but people seemed to respond to it like it was a good thing. I have another friend who stays high because she’s scared of lows and it really helped her to talk with somebody about it. I think it’s good to be cautious about lows, but if it interferes with our lives or makes us have higher blood sugars than we would like, then maybe it would be good to talk to someone.

I bump my BG quite a bit with the help of my CGM. If my MM pardigm pump alerts with a predictive low I will review my graph. If I am not close to a planned meal and see my BG descending to a low I will correct with 5-10 grams of carbs. The plan is to stop the descent of my BG and have it hover at 75-85.

I will also do the opposite. Earlier today my BG was flatlining at 115 with little or NO insulin on board. I bolused for a partial unit to correct and aimed for 95. In order to maintain the tight control I want I find that small adjustments/bumps are often necessary to push my BG where I want it to be.

Yeah I’m sort of at the stage where having the ability to bump is helpful. I don’t have a very consistent diet (in the sense that sometimes I eat tons of carbs and sometimes I eat very few), so when I eat lots of carbs I tend to take slightly more insulin than is needed and bump with a roll or 2 of smarties an hour out if it turns out I overcorrected. I realize this is probably not a great idea for those who need to lose weight or whatever, but I am 6’7" and thin as a rail and honestly 4-15 grams of carbs on occasion never hurt anyone :).

I DID have a “medium” low while teaching, but it was high school, and I told my wonderful kids what was happening, and that I needed to eat some glucose tabs and sit quietly for a few minutes, and they were the most wonderful things in the world. Some of them got out books to study and some of them sat and chatted, but they gave me the time to “come around” to the point where I could resume teaching.

If you teach elementary school, it might be a good idea to have a code word and drills, so that the kids know that if you say “I’m low”, they can get out books or draw pictures or do other quiet activities until you say “I’m OK”. Then if you have a real low, they know the drill! :slight_smile:

I’m DEFINITELY a Dragger! But that’s probably because I hate lows much more than I fear highs, so I am much more likely to under-dose than over-dose.

4-15g of carbs never hurt ANYONE, unless they just consumed 300g, but can’t resist a little bite or two of that luscious looking Boston Cream Pie! Eating until it hurts – OWWWWWW!!! :slight_smile:

Haven’t done 300g, but I did manage to eat about 160g worth of carbs once (New Years’ Eve sushi dinner, plus half a bottle of champagne), took 11 units of insulin, and was only about 20-30 points out of range. Some people call that poor control, poor judgment, or simply gluttonous; I call that a triumph for the ages. No need for a bump, either.

Nice shot!! I have had some decent results like that although I don’t recall ever running 160G in at once. Come to think of it, I probably used to eat that much but that was before I counted carbs and would go “platter of Mexican food, about 10U…oh wait, tacos another 6U”. These days I’m a bit more conservative!

Ut oh, true confession time here I guess. I not only “bump” it with some yummy carbs I also purposely go low sometimes, just so I can bump it back up with some really good stuff.

Yes, sometimes I go high and sometimes I do it just right, but I like to enjoy life and that is one of the ways I do it.