Do you bump your bloodsugar?

That’s my evening plan a lot, overbolus and then snack/ drink beer to cover the overshooting!

I do if I am dropping and I want to go do something like go to the grocery store. But, I will do it with something I am familiar with how much it will add, for example baby carrots
Otherwise I will keep watching it until it goes to under 60 then treat preferably with sugar tabs.

How do you bump your BG with basically a zero carb food? I take no bolus for carrots. They have been on the “free exchange” and zero carb list for all the time I have been diabetic - 39 years. They would do absolutely nothing for my blood sugar if it was dropping or low.

Same here. Asked the same question of the Atkins diet people years ago. I couldnt bolus for a carrot or a tomato if I had to!

both veggies raise my bloodsugar tomatoes more than carrots, but not enough to treat a low bloodsugar

Ron and Acidrock: Can I tell you how much this post-menopausal woman hates you!! Only kidding, but I would weight 300 pounds if I did those things!

I agree, Karen. I always count regular vegies since I eat a lot of them: 5 carbs for one Cup cooked and 10 carbs for one Cup uncooked. But no, I wouldn’t use vegies to treat a low bloodsugar, too slow and too approximate in amount. For low blood sugar, I want something fast and that I know the right dosage, for me it’s glucose tabs, and I take 2 for lows in the 50s and 3 for lower than that.

Guinness= 9G of carbs/ 12 oz. Bud select 55= 1.8G of carbs/ can. There’s always a way!

To clarify, I no longer eat giant platters @ Mexican restaurants as that’s how I peaked @ 275 lbs a few years ago. Now it’s 2, maybe 3 tacos and that’s it. Plus if they are the 2 tortilla jobs, I ditch one of them.

Ron and Acidrock: Can I tell you how much this post-menopausal woman hates you!! Only kidding, but I would weight 300 pounds if I did those things!
What Zoe said!!!

Men definitely have different metabolisms than women. We are DESIGNED to hold on to weight against the possibility of pregnancy, even if we’re postmenopausal (Mother Nature is NOT all-knowing!). They’re designed to burn it off in long runs while hunting, and so particularly if they exercise intensely, the weight just melts off. Exercise MAY make women stronger, but it definitely doesn’t melt off the pounds!

Maybe that’s reality, but doesn’t mean we have to LIKE it!! LOL!

Gary Taubes said exercise doesn’t matter? I need to read his denser book but well, it’s down the shelf, behind several other more lurid summer books, now that summer is finally here. I think I hunt books most of the time…

Hey, I KNOW how much exercise you do! And you ARE a runner. Doesn’t it make you feel good to know you are doing what comes natural to a healthy male? :slight_smile:

It’s the endorphins. If I take a couple of days off I get cranky! I wasn’t quite sure about any of that stuff as a lot of the sciency stuff I sort of glazed over but I feel as if I have gotten some benefits out of exercising, my resting heart rate went from like 80 to 55 or so these days? I’m not sure if that has anything to do w/ diabetes but people at work are like “you never freak out” while I’m freaking out all the time so there’s probably some mental benefits. Taubes doesn’t seem to look at diabetes as much more than a “risk factor” or “hazard”, like a lot of people although a lot of the stuff he recommends, like paying attention to what I eat, are sort of second nature. I am not sure how much of the weight I’ve lost is from exercise and how much is from eating less though.

Well, he did not come out strong in GCBC on exercise, but later wrote about it. I would say that Taubes would argue that exercise has little effect (or a negative effect) on weight loss and that the traditional cardio endurance exercise focused on burning calories (calories in/calories out) is doomed to failure. Taubes is big on exercise, but for the sake of strength and fitness, just not as a driver for weight loss.