Do you prefer to be called a diabetic or PWD?

I prefer Sam, Dad, or Captain. Diabetes is not my identity.

3 Likes

I think the real question is what language you prefer used when someone is referring to your diabetesā€¦ None of are are defined by our diabetes.

1 Like

In that case it really makes no difference to me

2 Likes

I prefer neither most of the timeā€¦ I have referred to myself as diabetic at times because that is the most common phrase people seem to useā€¦ but I usually say I have type1, Iā€™m type1 I have diabetes etc. This disease does have a terrible effect on my life and I would gladly be rid of it in one second but I still prefer to just say I have this or that conditionā€¦ and not let the words define meā€¦ define isnā€™t the right word here really because I feel in the medical profession it has a derogatory labeling effect. For instance I say I have fibromyalgia or hashimotos I donā€™t say Iā€™m hashimotic, fybromyalgic or whateverā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

that actually sounds good Davidā€¦Can I get the recipe? :joy:

Hold the ketchup and butterscotch sauce on my order. (I hate both of them. Even on French fries [especially ketchup])!"

Well, this is validating. You and I may be the only two people on the planet who donā€™t like ketchup on french fries.

1 Like

I donā€™t even like ketchup on fingers!

I prefer to be called a LIVEabetic. with LIVEabetes.

(Thatā€™s a joke! haha!)

But seriously, I prefer diabetic strongly. Maybe just cause ā€œPerson with diabetesā€ is SO unwieldy.

3 Likes

I donā€™t either! Nor ā€œfry sauceā€ (ketchup-mayo) nor cheese sauce nor anything that makes crisp fries soggy!

Actually I can only think of one situation in which ketchup is tolerable, and that is when mixed with very hot chinese mustard and used VERY sparingly for dipping appetizers in.

1 Like

My daughter actually has a tee-shirt that reads ā€œI prefer to call it LIVE-a-betesā€ that I ordered from Diabetic Danica. If anyone decides to order one of these shirts for a loved one with diabetes, donā€™t make the mistake I did and give it as a gift. Any item having something to do with D is not a gift! Kind of like giving your spouse a new vacuum cleaner as an Anniversary present, only worseā€¦

3 Likes

They probably wonā€™t sound nearly as good to you as Nanaimo bars, but we have ketchup chips in Canada, which I learned this summer you guys do not have in the US. I have a weird fascination with ketchup chips, because they look (and smell) so good, even though Iā€™ve never been able to eat potato chips.

Would you make an exception for an a$$-kicking malt vinegar?

If I go to heaven, lunch will always be served with skin-on fries with malt vinegarā€¦

1 Like

Nope, no malt vinegar! The mayonaise served with frites in Belgium is the only exception allowed. :smile_cat:

Oh, you HAD to go and do it, didnā€™t you? You had to mention Nanaimo bars again when I had succeeded in not thinking about them for several days. Grumble. Mutter.

Well, okay, as long as weā€™re doing this, letā€™s not forget poutine, either.:frowning:

2 Likes

Ah, now . . . fish and chips with vinegar. Heavenly.

1 Like

Heck no, vacuum cleaner is for birthdays only :laughing:

1 Like

People who use or own one of these commonly refer to it as a ā€œHooverā€ because of the sound it makes. Thatā€™s a Hoover I would love to own.

1 Like

Letā€™s not forget the ā€œritual Hooverā€!:wink:

1 Like