Do you prefer to be called a diabetic or PWD?

Also, if I’m feeling snarky I’ll tell people I have an autoimmune disease that makes my body unable to process carbohydrates correctly.

3 Likes

I prefer country gravy on my fries, or sour cream and bacon bits.

1 Like

The one potato form that I avoid almost always is fries…Love them but they are one of my worst insulin kryptonite foods. Baked, mashed, roasted all good…
Man, has this thread gotten off topic, lol…
So I’ll add I always say I am diabetic or a diabetic…

Spam Soup is a meal I’ve never had, but it is a legendary dinner fail from my Mom either before I was eating solid food or before I was born. Thank God. Besides, I’m not Hawaiian. So, I don’t have to like Spam.

My theory about why Spam is so popular in Hawaii has to do with the fact that they didn’t have a cattle industry for a long time, so getting meat was difficult and/or expensive. But, they had Spam (after it was used a lot in WWII), so they used that.

Sort of a parallel to Chipped Beef on Toast. Veterans called it SOS. I worked in a grocery store and I was asked many times, “where’s the Chipped Beef on Toast in the freezer section? I ate it when I was in the Army and it was awful. Now, where is it?”

My mom used to make chipped beef gravy over toast. It was so good, I may make some this week!

2 Likes

My Dad was an old Navy guy (WWII) and I also loved what you describe. It was the “running out of money pre-payday dinner” in our house when I was a kid…But in the Navy, they called it “s#it on a shingle”…LOL…My last doc appointment, my sodium levels were low and I remembered it as being salty, so I’ve actually been thinking about a low-carb version using my alternative white sauce on my toasted 4-carb flax pitas…Fun to think of…

1 Like

My mom used to make chipped beef on toast, too. Didn’t like it then, and still don’t. I’ve not had it once since leaving home and I don’t anticipate ever doing so. So there!

1 Like

You’ll noticed I called it SOS. That’s what SOS stands for.

1 Like

I make a tuna version that is to die for (or at least I used to before I went lower-carb). I used white chunk tuna packed in water, made my own bechamel sauce from scratch with the smallest pinch of dill, and added barely-cooked frozen peas right at the end. Served it over delicately toasted points of whole grain bread. It’s called TSOS: Tuna $hit On a Shingle.

1 Like

The pinch of dill in the bechamel sauce elevates the dish beyond “shingledom”!!

2 Likes

I don’t see why one particular dish should be shingled out for all this attention.

3 Likes

David, once again, you’re killing me. :smile:

2 Likes

My favorite uncle did this all the time too. As a kid I reacted predictably, now I do it to people. Go figure.

3 Likes

I prefer PWD because in my mind that means that yes, I have diabetes, but there are other things going on with me too. When I think of myself as a diabetic, it seems like that term is all-defining of me. It may sound like semantics, but it does matter to me.

Hello! Our TuDiabetes Talks episode this week is on this very topic…the “D” word! Is anyone interested in joining in Wednesday (September 7) at 5pm PT to share your thoughts! It’s casual community chat and fun! LOVE to have you!!!

Here’s the cool commercial that @mrmikelawson created for the show tomorrow!

3 Likes

Wow, @mrmikelawson, you did an AMAZING job with this!

1 Like

Mike Lawson is heroic in his efforts on our behalf…But this is an old issue that I don’t really care about at all. I am me. I don’t care what anybody else calls me…Blessings—whatever you want to be called…

2 Likes