Do you use syringes or insulin pens? Introduce yourself here!

For diabetics on insulin via pens and syringes on fixed or sliding scale…

WELCOME…

I will try and post tomorrow a simple primer/guide on how to test BASAL and BOLUS insulin doses. I learned this from a pumper. I started insulin over 26 years ago, but only learned last fall HOW TO properly figure MY basal and bolus insulins. After decades of 2 shots/day I am now on MDI, multiple daily injections and now a member of the 5.x Club. From an a1c of 8.6 in April of '07 to 5.6 in July and the best part is, I am off the spike and dive roller coaster form the first time.

If you THINK complications happen to other people, think again!

(&( GOMER

1 Like

what a brillient idea JDavid,
All over the world diabetics are still on basal and bolus doses,and as you said you can get controlled well on that.Pumps are expensive and not supplied for free in most countries

Hiya - I have had db for 34 years and am still taking MDI’s. There have been many times when I felt that the pumpers were judging me (in a not nice way). “Pump arrogance” and “pump superiority” attitudes seem to be somewhat cmmonplace, but I try not to let it bother me.
Currently, I have no intention of going on a pump. But, that may change tomorrow.
I have some “food issue” problems so my AlC’s always hover around 7. But I look forward to seeing your post tomorrow - you obviously have met with success and we can always benefit by what others have to teach us. Thanks.

Hey Guys here I am supporting the group I am aneedle user for 24 yrs with NPH and Humalog insulins. Greetings from Puerto Rico

They asked me when I was diagnosed if I wanted info about a pump and for me needles are just easier. I know that the pump would be safer because its “brain” is alot smarter at figuring out your numbers and amount then my brain! But im sticking to needles for now.(no pun intended) Glad im not the only one.

Hi, I’m Katelyn…
i just joined this website like a few minutes ago.
anyone from az?

Hello from a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic. =)

Currently, I take 20 units of Lantus and was lowered to 3 units of Humalog/meal today after having normal to low readings the past 3 days. I do have Humulin R to use as my sliding scale on an as needed basis.

I currently inject with syringes, although when I was first diagnosed, I was told I was a good candidate for a pump.

My doc discussed with me today the possibility of eventually coming off of insulin and being able to go back to pills, provided I continue my current readings, diet and exercise regimen. Woohoo!

Hello, I take 160 units of Lantus. 80 in the morn. 80 at night. I also take byetta and Novolog R on a sliding scale. So I use pens and syringes. I am a human pin cushion.

type 2 switched off oral meds to insulin only by endo March 2009; currently taking 82 units of Lantus at night and 50 units of novalog with meals 3x daily currentlyly use pens for novalog & syringes for Lantus; testing 3x daily before meals and when necessary. Still trying to get better control. last A1c 7.2;

MELISSA: NO NO NO! (cont below)
===begin cut-n-paste===
Comment by melissa on November 16, 2008 at 6:33pm
Delete Comment Hello from a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic. =)

Currently, I take 20 units of Lantus and was lowered to 3 units of Humalog/meal today after having normal to low readings the past 3 days. I do have Humulin R to use as my sliding scale on an as needed basis.

I currently inject with syringes, although when I was first diagnosed, I was told I was a good candidate for a pump.

My doc discussed with me today the possibility of eventually coming off of insulin and being able to go back to pills, provided I continue my current readings, diet and exercise regimen. Woohoo!

===END== C_N_P=======

IF? you are a true type-1, you DO NOT make ANY natural insulin and REQUIRE insulin…PERIOD end of story…that is MY understanding anyhooooo

(&( GOMER

Iv actually heard Lantus referred to as the “Poor man’s pump”… Sadly to say, its very true… But truth be told dealing with lantus even twice a day was a lot less twitchy than NPH … Im halfway decent at predicting roughly how many carbs are in a meal, or at least enough Humalog to cover them…

Speaking of types… Iv always been referred to as Type I, even though i came down with it in my mid 20s… The critics are still out…whether its a side effect of a medication I was taking years ago, or if its just biology (Iv been CT’ed a few times due to GI issues)… and they keep noticing a piece of my pancreas is missing. Not an artifact, but actually missing.

Hey all!
I’m actually good at predicting carbs per meal too. I rarely have side effects that I don’t already “expect”. I’ve had issues with Lantus in the past, putting me into insulin shock comas, but I’m doing really well on Levemir.

I used to use the pump, but came off of it two years ago due to resistance complications.

I’ve been T1D for 11 years. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

Marps

Wesley…

Welcome…

I take a split Lantus dose, Am and again PM for a more level basal level. Taking a sligtly LOWER PM dose can help with FBS level IF, you ae ahving middle of the night lows. A split dose gives a flatter more even basal insulin level than a single dose every 24 hrs. It can also be split slightly unequal to combat/compensate for DAWN effect. If you are a TYPE-1, a light snack BEFORE BED might help. For type-2s it can for some people help with the dawn effect.

(&( GOMER

I take Lantus insulin 90 units in the morning, it seems to be helping me a lot, my lantus comes in a Pen

Hello :slight_smile:
I have a nova pen and have novarapid insulin before each meal, 4 units for breakfast and lunch, 6 units for dinner. I haven’t learnt how to crab count yet, but next time I go to see the clinic they said they will teach me, scary stuff! :stuck_out_tongue:
and also I have glargine at night around 9:30 which is 13 units. this suits me fairly well though if I cycle to school I find mid morning my blood sugar is around 3, which isn’t too comfortable :stuck_out_tongue:

I take 50 Lantus each evening and Humolog 3units per meal plus sliding scale of 1:10 units/carbs per meal.

yeah i am aboiut 2 monthes diagnosed so i am still on needlez but i raelly want an omnipod!!!LOL

ooh wow what’s an omnipod?!