Does anyone use Humalog 75/25 Kwikpen

Anyone else using this specific insulin?
Does it work for you?
How many units do you average?

Personally No, my brother Yes and it works for him. I am very cautious about posting insulin amounts, it is such a variable thing.

I was asking the same question in the beginning, I specifically ask my doctor, how much is too much. His answer, Insulin is not toxic, from a toxicity standpoint there is no worry, the only limiting factor is the possibility of low blood sugar. He advised that I increase my amount slowly and monitor my blood glucose carefully.

I will refrain from mentioning my daily doses in the beginning, some of the T1 members may faint at hearing how much insulin I took.

It’s one of those things where you think to yourself, “Surely this is too much” but I suppose if it’s not toxic then it’s a matter of finding that magic number…

It is also true that the doses that you require at the beginning of insulin treatment bear almost no relation to what you need when you have normal blood sugars and are stable. The reason is simple. If you have uncontrolled diabetes your cells have become severely insulin resistant as a way of protecting themselves against toxic blood sugar levels. So you may need high levels to restore normal blood sugars. Once you are normal then your cells become more insulin sensitive and your insulin needs drop.

Can this type of insulin be adjusted per dose? In other words I am having a hamburger for dinner tomorrow and I know I will run high so do I increase my dinner shot?

The context of your question illustrates a drawback of a premixed insulin like 75/25. If you increase the dinner dose to help cover a larger meal (or one you know will drive your post-meal numbers higher), then you will also be delivering a larger basal dose (the 75% part) that could drive you lower while you sleep.

75/25 insulin is a crude tool. If you adopted a true basal-bolus regimen and used two insulins, then you could independently adjust either dosage for the desired effect. Are you limited to this insulin formulation only? I’m sorry if I have already asked this question in another thread.

Sometimes the more complex tool is actually the simpler solution.

Hi Terry!
Yes this is the only one covered by my medical scheme.