Does this look like t1d for my 6 year old?

Yay, glad to hear it!

Always nice when someone can take good news for an answer. Weirdly, that hasn’t always been the case when a parent has come here with the is-it-or-isn’t-it question.

You can buy a home glucose monitor at the pharmacy.

I would want to test her fasting (normal for kids is about 3.8 - 5.0 (70 - 90, though lower is more typical).

And her post eating, which should ideally be close to her fasting levels, but definitely less than 6.6 (120) - 7.7 (140).

A1c can apparently be 'Normal" in early diabetes, because it takes 3 months for the numbers to reflect actual levels.

Hey thanks, her level was 5.5… 2 hours after eating, and no sugar in urine, so looks like all okay :slight_smile:!

1 Like

She obviously has type 1 Diabetes. I do not know why the doctor is puttering around with repeat blood testing. Although she might have tolerable sugars for a while, she is at great risk of slipping into DKA .
My grandson, who lives in the Auckland area and has had type 1 diabetes for the past 4 years ( he is now 8), also has difficulty getting his primary care person to believe that he was a diabetic. Since I have had type 1 diabetes for 37 years in Oregon , my daughter grew up knowing a lot about diabetes. When her son wet the bed one night and seemed excessively thirsty, she took him to The doctor to rule out diabetes . Since the child looked healthy and hadn’t lost any weight, the doctor felt that my daughter was just an anxious mom. He refused to draw blood, but relented when my daughter made a scene ag he clinic. The blood test was 20 mmoles ( for Americans, this was 360mg/dL. He was immediately admitted to the hospital and started on insulin. Now he has a Medtronic pump plus a continuous monitor. He is active in sports ( swimming, rugby, soccer, and basketball). Had my daughter not been so insistent, his initial diagnosis might have been delayed until a life threatening emergency had occurred.

If you need to connect with others in Auckland who have diabetic kids, please feel free to contact me at drgilmour@mac.com. I could then help you connect with my daughter. Dave Gilmour,MD, Central Point OR., USA.

Wow thanks very much david for your kind words so glad your daughter was so on to it for your grandson., but my girl only had one high bg of 9.7, since then her testing a1c number is 30 bg is 5.5 and no sugar in urine. So the dr is happy with the results, not sure she had a one off high and urine in sugar but seems levels are back to normal now ?

1 Like

Very early in the development of type 1, sugars can wax and wane between high and normal, with the highs becoming more frequent until all are high. There often is a “honeymoon” phase where, for s few months, they seem to get better with diet and sometimes low doses of insulin. My suggestion : get s home glucose testing kit. Check her if she looses weight, has increased thirst or pees more often than normal. Type 1 could still be lurking. Good luck. Dave G.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it at all. If she starts urinating often or being very thirsty, then you could definitely look into this further. Anything beyond that seems like overkill. There are enough things in life to worry about. No need to become a hypochondriac.

2 Likes

i’m glad the results were negative!