Doing Things Right, "Period" style

I've been a bit quiet on the site the past week, and will probably be again this week, as I've been working on an Elizabethan-era outfit appropriate for two of my usual Renaissance Faires. I've been able to complete my stays, farthingale ("hoop skirt"), and gown in time for last Saturday's visit to the New York Renaissance Fair (NYRF), in Tuxedo, New York. (I'm on the left in this photo; it's the only one The Other Half took that has me in it, rather than just Donovan lording it up and making new friends...) I'm still finishing up the sleeves, and I really need to make myself a proper suite of ruffs. (An extra shift and a new caul wouldn't hurt, either.) One of my goals for this trip was to check into the NYRF's Friends of Faire (FoF) organization. I'd tried to get info and possibly sign up in advance, but the electronic communications system did not make the appropriate connections in time -- so I needed to locate the Friends of Faire Garden to investigate further.

For those of you curious about it, “Friends of Faire” is an organization specific to each individual permanent Renaissance Faire. It consists mainly of “playtrons” (patrons who dress up in garb and who play along with the actors, staff, and other patrons) who enjoy being a bit more involved in that faire, but without the commitment of being part of the cast or staff. Depending on the faire, Friends of Faire may also be involved in back-of-faire operations to one degree or another. I wanted to get more information on the involvement level and facilities of the NYRF FoF before signing up, as the published cost was quite reasonable and included comps of monetary value to more than compensate for the membership fee.

After a bit of inquiry – the location was not on the program map – we finally made it over to Friends of Faire, got the rest of the information we wanted, and signed up.

Here’s where things go from “fun and interesting” to “useful”. NYRF FoF keeps emergency contact information for its members, as well as basic medical/allergy information. It’s a voluntary system and the information is kept in a manner secure enough for the location, and (arguably) accessible enough if it should be needed. Since many of us do not wish to wear anachronistic “medical alert” jewelry while we are pretending to be 16th-century townspeople (or fantasy wenches, pirates, gypsies, or rogues), and keep the rest of our modern-day carryables to a minimum, it’s a useful precaution.

So, everything said and done, I am now a member of NYRF’s FoF organization and will be heading back up there at least once more this season – possibly as early as this coming weekend. None of the vendors on site sell wrist ruffs or standing ruffs, so I really need to work on those items sooner than later.

I will get back to the meter review once I’ve got this most recent rush of garbing completed.

Another “plus” for NYRF in general: their on-site First Aid does have facilities for safe sharps disposal. Yippee!