Double Whammy

I was diagnosed with diabetes and multiple sclerosis on the same day, 8 years ago. They discovered both while checking my spinal fluid. They were looking for the ms, but the diabetes took me by surprise. I concentrated on the ms since it was stealing my eyesight and my energy. I was a supermom! This wasn’t happening to me! At first I followed my diet pretty well and I lost some weight. That made me feel great. I was doing all I could by taking all of my meds and eating better.
Then, depression set in. I hated taking so many drugs, and why did I have to watch what I ate when everyone else could eat whatever they wanted. MS was slowly taking a toll on my body as well. Fatigue was horrible, and blah, blah, blah. I felt sorry for me. And why not? My mood and attitude fluxuated for a few years. Things got better, and things got worse.
Here I am, 8 years later finally realizing that I am ALIVE! I have the ability to take better care of myself, but I could use a little, (or a lot) of help. I started an MS support group, but never once thought of joining a diabetic group. I hate having diabetes! I hate it more than the MS! But I need to do better with it. My husband and I have been married for almost 23 years and we have 5 kids who are 14, 16, 18, 20, and 21 years old. I’d like to be around to see them grow up and be on their own, and get married, and have kids. I get down on myself because I think I’m a quitter, or that I should be stronger. I just want a somewhat normal life and I need some help.

Hi Debb,
Thanks for all of your wise words! I guess you’re right about about everyone having those days where depression or maybe anger sneaks in and takes over. I’d like to not have too many days like that! Monday I have my check up. Last time my A1C wasn’t very good at all. So, I’ve been working my butt off. ( I hope it pays off)
How wonderful to have grandchildren! I don’t have any, although my daughter who is in her 2nd year of college would love to have one. She needs to finish school and I just turned 42, so we can wait for a while. ( I hope)
How bad is your restless leg syndrome? Mine is under control pretty much. I go crazy on a bad night though. How long have you had it? Does exercise help keep that under control? I don’t really know a lot about it. My Dr just started me on Requip. I know that exercising more would be great for me, but it’s too darn cold to go walking outside, and I don’t have money to join a gym.
Maybe it’s time to put up some Christmas decorations today. I know I’m not going shopping! I don’t like to do that on a normal day, let alone on Thanksgiving weekend. A Walmart employee was trampled to death in New york when the doors opened Friday morning! Crazy!
Have a great day, joni