Dr. Bernstein's diet - do you follow it?

Susan,

Here ya go. Even with sauce (I use Muir Glenn Organic pasta sauce–10 carbs per 1/2 cup), it’s still low carb. Hard to eat the whole thing because it’s heavy, but you can try:)

Low Carb Pizza Crust (Makes a pizza that is about 12 inches in diameter, although you can spread it thinner and larger if you want.) The entire crust only has 7 carbs & lots of healthy Omega 3 fats.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups golden flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon oregano
3 Tablespoons virgin olive oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup water

(I add garlic to the topping & a bit of olive oil drizzled on the toppings.)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 F.

Mix dry ingredients together.

Add wet ingredients, and mix very well.

Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.

Spread on pan.

Bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through, then add toppings and cook until they are done.

Nutritional Analysis: Whole crust has 7 grams of effective carbohydrate, plus 52 grams fiber, 47 grams protein, 130 grams healthy fat, and 1525 calories.

Yvonne, Good question about Levemir and one I’m going to ask my endo to revisit at my next appointment in midMay. Background: I was initially on Levemir 8mg 1X day at bedtime prior to surgery and 4mg 1X day after surgery until midMarch’09. At that time, I was prescribed Januvia 100MG 1X day because my fasting bs were increasing. I was on no meds for about 1 1/2 mos. prior to starting Januvia, which I started almost two months ago with no side effects and reduced bs. However, fasting bs are up again, 120’s–wondering if that’s because I’m stressed about the recent study linking Januvia to cancer and pancretitis–and I’m not seeing the Januvia controlling my 2hr. post meal bs, but maybe I’m eating too many carbs.

I see I’m rambling; thanks for listening. Back to revisiting Levemir: Maybe I should be on split doses of Levemir, 4units in the morning and 4 units at bedtime, which I picked up from the replies of others to discussions at TuDiabetes. When I’ve asked about increased insulin in the past, my endo says I’m at risk for severe lows. Nevertheless, like you, I think low carbs are critical for me. And I think I was doing better before I received diabetes education. After I got educated, I increased my carb intake especially at breakfast plus I added between meal and bedtime snacks of 7g carbs as recommended.

Hi Lucy,

Good recommendation from Yvonne about Levemir. What are your bedtime readings? Wondering how much you’re going up in the morning (regarding Levemir dose) & how much the suggested bedtime snack is effecting your BG.

Taking two Levemir doses worked far better for me being Type 1. I take slightly more right before bed because of dawn phenon than my morning dose, but that’s a highly individualized thing. I was on Lantus, but Levemir works better for me.

We’ve all been given the same info about carbs from diabetic education:) I had to un & re-educate myself. I replied to your post about high morning readings & breakfast on the thread about Januvia.

Yep, stress sends BG up, as does our female hormones, too many carbs & a host of other factors. Some we can control, or attempt to control, some we can’t do squat about.

Hi Gerri,
My endo gave me the impression that 4 units 1X day at bedtime was hardly worth taking. I’ve been thinking that the 4 units Levemir upon release from the hospital was prescribed to pacify me. May I ask how many units of Levemir you take a day? Thanks for your replies. In answer to your question what are your bedtime readings? Last night before bed at 12:59 = 108, so I ate some pear and 1T peanut butter. However, after dinner yesterday, bs = 162 at 10:27PM; 157 at 10:12PM; and 126 at 9AM (I slept in). Night before, bs = 135 at 10:22PM before bed so didn’t snack. At 7:39AM SAT morning, bs = 122. (I do get complusive checking.)

Hi Lucy,

Happy to try to help.

Insulin dosing is based on weight, along with other factors, & I’m a munchkin at 101 lbs. I take 5 units of Levemir right before bed & 4 units first thing in the morning. Endos are very careful about hypos, as they should be.

I try to go to bed at around 100. My premeal & fasting target is 90. Your morning readings aren’t terrible. I’d forgo the bedtime snacks for three nights to see if it improves your morning reading. Without bedtime food, you might not need Levemir at night. Do need to bring down those post meal numbers & cutting carbs here might help a lot. Also it helps if you don’t go to bed for 4-5 hours after dinner to be sure you’ve digested your food.

You’re not compulsive at all. Testing a lot is great! I test 8-10x a day. More if I feel low.

Dear Lucille.

How much external insulin you need depends on how much insulin your own pancreas makes and on how insulin resistant you are.

A diabetic with a completely dead pancreas and no insulin resistance will need about 0.4 units per kg of body weight per day. I am insulin resistant so I will need a least 1.0. Of course if you eat a lot of carbs this will increase, much more so if you are insulin resistant. I can take about 60% of the daily needs as levemir and the rest as fast acting insulin. some people might go low with so much slow acting. You could start with 40% of your insulin need as slow acting and see what happens. And increase it until you are going low and cut back a bit.

as an example If you weight 60 kg you would need 24 units per day without any pancreas and no resistance. if your pancreas works 50% then 12 external and 50% of that for the basal would be 6 units of levemir per day. So it is hard to see why your endo said 4 not worth while. Is he waiting till your own pancreas regrows back to its normal function, if this is unlikely stressing it may cause it to pack up and then your diabetes will no longer be fun but your worst nightmare.

Thanks Gerri!
I see what you mean about not eating the whole thing!! I can hardly wait to try it…only have about 1/4 c flaxseed in the house right now

It’s not a light snack that’s for sure:) Won’t replace real pizza, but it’s still good.

Hope you enjoy it!

Great advice Danny. Thank you for posting the link.

Thanks for that Gerri, I do so miss pizza.

Thanks Judith. I live in Australia so importing bread is not really possible. I can get fairly low carb flatbreads though and naan bread which also make good pizzas.

I do follow it. My HbA1C has gone from 13.2 at diagnosis to 5.1. I take 500-1000mg of Metformin XR per day (I’m in the process of reducing). My weight is stable and I have more energy than I can remember.

I stick to it as I want to keep whatever beta cell function I have for homeostasis and not end up on Insulin.

Buy the book for the theory, not the recipes. There are plenty of low carb recipes out there.

Mine dropped like that. I tried carb loading and things got worse. Eventually I ignored the things people told me and went even lower carb, went into ketosis, and things evened out quite nicely. I don’t feel naked without my glucometer anymore. Not everyone will respond the same but sometimes even lower carb is worth a try.