Drinking pure sugar

I lived in Guatemala for 2 years and Guatemalans love their sugar! Unless I expressly asked for something to be sin azucar (without sugar) they would sweeten it. One taste and I’d be apologizing and requesting a replacement like the ugly american I am!

I have a funny story. For many years (before diabetes) I drank Crystal Geyser Juice Squeeze which was soda and juice with no sugar added. I liked it because it was just fruit juice sweetened, no artificial crap. Then one day I got some at work and my coworker commented and said it had sugar in it. I said “no way” and bet her $5. We went and got the bottle from the recycling and sure enough it had sugar! I was really pissed off and fired off an e-mail to the company telling them I’d been drinking it for years because it was the only good soda without sugar - either real or artificial. Ironically I also said, “what if a diabetic drank it, not knowing the formula had been changed”. (I of course didn’t know that juice is also bad for diabetics). It turns out they’d gotten many such e-mails and were in the process of creating two versions of the product clearly marked as “with sugar” and “without sugar”. They even sent me a coupon for $5, making up the $5 I’d lost on the bet! Nice when a corporation responds to public opinion!

I too have my husband as a taste tester. Although if it really is not diet I can usually tell for sure. I usually ask him to check when it actually is diet but the mix was off (too much syrup/carbonation/etc) Although he has a lot of trouble telling coke zero or diet dr pepper from their real counterparts.

I worked in the dining hall in college. I got a diet coke from the fountain and tasted and it was WAY too sweet. I checked it, i think at the time with my monitor and lo and behold it was real coke.

Since I worked in the dining hall I went in back and told them they had the fountain hooked up wrong. The guy actually said, " I know we are out of diet and you girls worry about your weight too much, real coke won’t kill you."

I nearly fell over and then had to try to CALMLY explain that it was a VERY bad idea to do that

I’m like you – I don’t spill sugar in my urine until I get above 240 or so. In a way, I’m sorry they did away with the Testape – before I got my CGM, I could test to find out what my BG was NOW, but no idea what it had done in the past couple of hours. But testing my urine, I would know if I HAD been high, and that matters, too. And, of course, with a high threshhold like you and I have, we know that if we’re spilling sugar in the urine, we know that we’ve been unacceptably high, and at least can analyze what we might do differently next time.

I did that once in a hotel, ordering from the children’s menu during a cat show, and since the restaurant was so bad, a whole lot of other people started doing it too, because the stuff on the kid’s menu was more palatable. So the hotel firmly put a stop to it!! LOL!!