Diet soda, how do we know it's diet?

Our friend and Board member @Scott_K_Johnson who is a Diet Coke lover puts the diet sodas to the test. Are they really sugar-free?

5 Likes

There’s nothing worse than getting a regular when you ordered diet! Except maybe doing it in the drive-thru and leaving before you taste it! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing, @Mila!

3 Likes

Thanks! I usually order coffee or unsweetened ice tea just to avoid the potential mix up - me thinks I’ll use a test strip or two from now on :yum:

2 Likes

So far that’s only happened once. So far.

One of the places we frequent serves it from a can, which makes it easy to tell.

But after all these years, one taste is all takes to tell me someone’s made a mistake.

2 Likes

Cans make it easy, for sure!

I’m also usually able to tell right away from the taste, but sometimes the fountain mix is so off that it’s more difficult to tell. I guess in that case you might ask me if I still enjoy it? Truly addicted, I guess. Hehe!

@Bowie - Never a bad idea! I don’t test every drink, only when it tastes so “off” that I start to question it…

2 Likes

I carry KetoDiastix in my purse. They are a 2 for 1 strip because I can use them to check to see if a soda is diet. I can also use them to check for ketones when BG is sky-high. My insurance pays for these strips.

I have had 2 instances in the past year where I was given sugared soda from a self-serve fountain dispenser. I called the store manager afterwards to double-check the lines because I was 100% sure both times that I selected Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi. Neither time did I detect a taste difference. And both times I had almost drunk the whole soda, saw the BG spike, and then tested with the KetoDiastix to see the strip turn dark brown immediately. It had been years and years since I had had a problem and had quit testing the soda most of the time. I still don’t test every time, but am testing more often.

When I hike and don’t have my purse with me, I put a couple of Ketodiastix in a small baggie in my meter case. Then if we stop for a treat on the way home, I can test the soda. My last soda disaster happened on the way home from a hike. Everyone else had milkshakes and I chose a diet soda. Had I known I was going to have my BG soar up into the 300’s, I would have chosen a milkshake… (Actually my BG wouldn’t have gotten that high with a milkshake because I would have known to take insulin.)

2 Likes

This is a very good idea. I have a vial of the stix sitting on the shelf where they do no one any good. I’m going to stick them in my kit so they’re always with me.

2 Likes