Email exchange with Bristol-Myers Squibb about ONGLYZATM

Full Disclosure: I work in the Information Security and Service Assurance department for Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Thank you for your note. ONGLYZA (saxagliptin) is a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) enzyme inhibitor. DPP-4 inhibitors are a class of compounds that work by affecting the action of natural hormones in the body called incretins. Incretins decrease elevated blood sugar levels (glucose) by increasing the body's utilization of sugar, mainly through increasing insulin production in the pancreas, and by reducing the liver's production of glucose. Currently there is only one drug in the DPP-4 class that is approved for use in the United States; there are others in development. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Best regards,

David

Khürt Williams wrote:

I read the news release on Bristol-Myers Squibb’s submission of a New Drug Application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. How is ONGLYZATM different than current drugs on the market or Squibb’s other drug, Glucophage? In others words is this really a breakthrough drug that will actually benefit people with Type 2 diabetes or just some strategy to make money?

I am a 91 year, young, geezer, insulin-dependent since 1977,I am involved diabetes, as a ROLE MODEL who walk the walk, and talk the talk, My home is TORONTO, where INSULIN was discovered by DRS.BANTING & BEST, July 30 1921. My mission is to reach as many insulin-users and have them check out www.restorehebantinghomestead.com AMIGO clarence.haynes@sympatico.ca