Emergen c vitamins

Going through a cold at the moment, want some vitamin c boost

Has anyone taken these?

Has 6 g of sugar

It’s not going to help your cold - just a waste of money, really.

Wouldn’t it shorten duration or at least make inject some vitamin c into my body ?

Vitamin C and Zinc can shorten the duration of being sick. Zinc has more research in regards to being sick. Zinc lozenges or throat coat tea work really well on a sore throat, although you will have a slightly weird flavor with the stronger zinc lozenges. Vitamin C works best when taken early. These packets have some zinc and misc in them too. I enjoy the Emergen C packets and use them off and on for a Vit C source. They taste good and are an alternative to pills. I was just told by my doctor to make sure I take 500 mg of Vitamin C daily to prevent long term pain syndrome from my wrist break and plate put in. She asks me each time when I’m getting a check up on it if I’m still taking it. ( 8 weeks into it).

I used to be around sick people constantly in my health food store. Cold season brought people out in droves for things to help. We had people come in pajamas coughing and sneezing. Our first choice to take to prevent getting sick was a echinacea/goldenseal combo, maybe some elderberry, oregano. As soon as we were exposed to someone coughing or sneezing or at the first signs of not feeling well, we had a stash in back for employees to take if they wanted too.

1 Like

Are the potassium in this too strong for kidneys for long term use?

I was thinking of taking electrolytes with me when travelling but then read the potassium intake may be a bit strong for kidneys.

Emergenc also has electrolytes but less compared to electrolyte water tablets.

I take it often for an entirely different reason, and I don’t even know if it’s a valid reason. I mostly do it to make my partner happy, because he’s convinced our reverse osmosis water is TOO pure and will actually leech nutrients from the body. It’s one of those pick you battles things where it never seemed worthwhile to look for counterarguments there, so I drink a supplement daily. I don’t take that particular brand all the time, but it’s in the rotation of high vitamin & electrolyte drink mixes. Still get colds and whatnot. Never noticed a difference.

I don’t know what it’s like where you live, but in the US, supplements have very little oversight. They can advertise however they want and recommend any dosage they want, so long as they don’t make medical claims. It’s perfectly fine to say a supplement supports the immune system, because that isn’t considered a medical claim, but NOT that it shortens the duration of a cold, which would require FDA review.

If you look at that box, that’s exactly what it says. “Daily immune support.” No where does it say it helps your cold. In fact, if you look at the white box with the fine print, it specifically says, “This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.” They’ve just strategically advertised in such a way that people have come to believe that they help with colds, without ever actually stating such.

Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that we need to ingest and it does support the immune system, as all antioxidants do, but there’s really no credible evidence that taking these ginormous doses of it does anything special. We only need 75-90 mg daily, not 1,000+. It’s water soluble and doesn’t stay with us, so we’re literally just flushing the excess down the toilet. We’re not historic sailors suffering from scurvy on the high seas. A vitamin c deficiency is exceedingly rare. Not only is it easy to get that much from a reasonably small amount of fruits/vegetables, but it’s also commonly added to processed food.

Basically, starting to take it when you’re sick does nothing. If you take it consistently daily, it reduces the length of your cold by ~10%. That’s statistically significant, but not really noticable.

2 Likes

Yeah sometimes I wonder whether placebo effect kicks in and psychologically you think (or hope) it does something. But yeah 10% is nothing in the bigger scheme of things

Supplement companies can not say whatever they want. They can’t make disease claims even if there is research to show it helps with something. Structure function claims they do make are with FDA/FTC approval. If they were to make any disease claim they would have to go through the clinical trials to do so and then get a labeled a drug. Which would escalate the cost considerably. Plus they only put what they know to be safe levels, again the FDA will come into play as it has to be proved safe or have a history of being safe. And a big one, they don’t want to be sued.

There is quite a lot of research out there, constantly being done, they just can’t use or quote it as they would be making a drug claim, and that goes back to doing a clinical trial and being a drug. (Homeopathics fall into a different category)

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling-nutrition/label-claims-conventional-foods-and-dietary-supplements