Emergency Food/On the Go eating/ Hospital ideas

I will post later some of what I found helpful.
Deb~

This is what I cooked for my son’s breakfast yesterday when he was in a hurry.

Egg "Muffin"

3 eggs

dash seasoned salt or salt and pepper

(you may add additional low-carb ingredients if you find this bland)

Get a smallish microwavable bowl with a round bottom. Crack the eggs into the bowl, then mix in seasoned salt or salt and pepper with a fork. Microwave on high for about 3 minutes, or until the eggs are solid. Loosen with a spoon, invert onto a saucer, (you may need to briefly pop it in the freezer to cool it until it’s cool enough to handle,) then grab and go. There should be 0 carbs in this. Serves 1.

Today, I was offered a high-carb lunch at a parenting class I usually attend. I only ate the salad (basically just lettuce) with mozzerella cheese and no dressing. On the way home, I went to 7-11 and grabbed their beef jerky sticks (they sell 4 for $1). Maybe not the lowest carb meat, but I’m thinking I should carry some jerky or pemmican in my purse in case of emergencies. Better than eating rice and white bread for me. Anyways, here’s a recipe for pemmican that I modified from another website so long ago that I don’t remember how I found it:

Pemmican

4 cups dried meat - depending on how lean it is, it can take 1 - 2 lbs. per cup. (Do not use pork or bear). Get it as lean as possible and double ground from your butcher if you don’t have a meat grinder. Combine with 1 tsp. salt per pound of fresh ground meat. Spread it out very thinly in cookie sheets and dry at 180° overnight or until crispy and sinewy. Regrind or somehow break it into almost a powder.

3 cups dried veggies - to taste mix celery, onions, garlic, bell peppers, etc. Dry the veggies without salt as you did the meat. Grind some and leave some lumpy for texture.

2 cups rendered fat - use only beef fat or butter. For beef fat, cut into chunks and heat over the stove over medium (or Tallow) heat. Tallow is the liquid and can be poured off and strained.

Unsalted nuts to taste and a shot of stevia (or other sweetener).

Combine in a bowl and hand mix. Double bag into four portions. The mixture will last for quite a while without refrigeration.

Here’s something you can buy the ingredients for ahead of time that you can whip up in no time when you’re somewhere that they’re serving high-carb foods. Carry the ingredients with you in a bag or purse just in case. I ate this for dinner last night.

Canned Cactus Salad
1 small jar or can of Sliced Nopalitos (that’s pickled canned cactus, should have a net carb of -1 per serving; mine does)
a 5.5 oz can of sardines with tomatoes and chili, or just tomatoes, or plain sardines or whatever you wish to substitute that has 0 grams net carbs
Open the cactus jar. Spoon contents onto a plate (you may rinse it first if you wish, but you can eat this as is). My can of sardines came with a pull-top, so I just threw the sardines over the cactus, Break up the sardines with a fork, stir briefly, and enjoy.
Total carbs: 4 grams Net carbs: -1 (thanks to the cactus having more fiber than total carbs according to the label).

If you need a cheap form of protein powder stashed away for emegencies, you can make your own egg powder (if you just use egg whites, it has more protein than using whole eggs). Ehow has an article on it that is posted below:

How to Make Powdered Eggs
By an eHow Contributor
Powdered eggs are not only easy to make from home, they can also be used in many different recipes. Having them handy can also save time if you are baking in a hurry. Follow these simple steps to making your own powdered eggs.
Difficulty: Easy
Things You’ll Need
Eggs
Saute Pan and Spatula
Paper Towels
Blender
Baking Sheet
Plastic Bags or Jar with Lid
How to Quickly Make Powdered Eggs
1 Scramble your eggs in a bowl. Pour them in a saute pan and cook until done.

2 Drain the excess grease for a few minutes on a paper towel.

3 Break the eggs into tiny pieces.

4 Spread the eggs out onto a baking sheet.

5 Dry at 135° F for at least 10 hours.

6 Run the eggs through a blender until they form a fine powder.

7 Store your powdered eggs either in a heavy plastic bag, or a jar with a tight lid.

Read more: How to Make Powdered Eggs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2304324_make-powdered-eggs.html#ixzz1NO8dUYWs

Quiches are a quick and handy meal in themselves and can easily be prepared or reheated quickly in a microwave, and they freeze well too. I ate this easy recipe for breakfast today:

Instant Microwave Quiche
3 eggs
about a handful of pregrated cheese (I used mozzerella)
splash of milk or cream
handful of prechopped lo-carb veggies (I used frozen chopped spinach)
some precooked meat, chopped or crumbled small (I used salami)
Mix everything together in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, or until eggs are set in the middle and edges begin to brown. Serves 1. You may reheat these for about 1-2 minutes on high if you freeze them for later, or until it’s hot enough.