Empire Or Medicare?

i have empire right now but im eligible for medicare soon because im disabled… now my question is… would i be better off staying with empire and paying $330 a month or can i go to medicare and pay less? i dont really no much about medicare at all so any input/advice is welcome and very appreciated! Thanks

I have Empire, and I have to say it is amazing coverage (I know there are different types of Empire though). I think you need to take into acount the prescription coverage as a priority - what meds are you on? Are you prepared to switch as Medicare’s formulary will most definitely not be as large as Empire’s. THat would be the major thing. Also - will Medicare cover your pump supplies? Another biggie.

yea thats the thing i did a plan thing on medicares website and it says i will pay like 450 a month for my rxs and stuff… not including strips/pump supplies i just thought maybe i was wrong i mean i thought medicare was low budget im disabled so i obviously dont work… i guess i might just continue paying $330… which i thought was alot but apparently not…

Well medicare will only give you one month supply of any supplies you need. You have to basicly “re-apply” every month for supplies. If there is any delay in paperwork or clearances, your going to go without. Its a sad but true fact. If you want supplies in October, you better order em in early September. This is the US Govt we are talking about here…

yea i guesss im better off keeping the other branch of the government i have lol im just hoping they dont raise the fee once the new year starts like they did last year… i mean if i worked it would be fine but i cant so what am i supposed to do if they keep raising it but they wont raise the SSD im getting… gotta loveee obama

Some people have liked the help they got with an appt with Social Security to go over the various Medicare plans. They don’t decide for you but at least you get a person to go over the plans. You should have your Empire benefits list with you to compare. I have no idea what Empire is but the other issue is whether you could simply switch at some later time if you want to. Medicare will replace pumps after 5 years, not 4. And you have to get with a good rep to avoid getting a refurbished pump. I do get 3 months of pump supplies by mail but don’t know if that is Medicare or because I have the fed BCBS supplement. I think it is Medicare but haven’t checked.

yea i dont know like i said i went on medicares site and did a plan estimate thing and it was expensive… its not just diabetes its my blood clot and back pain and numerous things that cost money now… the only benifit to getting medicare that i can see is for the dental… but its not forever so id be better off paying out of pocket for that… thanks for the help btw

I was not suggesting you get Medicare. Just that if you want to know more about how it compares to Empire, then Medicare counselors at SSA can help with that. Best wishes.

oh ok sorry i missunderstood… so basically i can go to my local ss and they will help me with a plan and to see if its worth it?

They will talk to you about each of the plans. Take your list of meds with you. You are not obligated to sign up with Medicare. From what other posters have said, you may have the best plan already. But you started this thread by asking about Medicare so if you want to feel confident in your decision, then more info from “the source” is one way to go.