Endo visit today

Went to endo today and I have lost 10 lbs since last visit and it is all about the Effexor I stopped taking.

I told her how much better I felt with the Effexor, but also told her I loved the weight loss. Pants are lose, but not enough to go back to my previous size. :frowning: since I am 20 lbs heavier since the Effexor.

She gave me a herb to try to see if that will help with my anxiety. 5HTP, here is the first website I checked about the herb, I am very excieted, as my anxiety is huge.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/5htp_myth.htm

A1C was 6.9 up from my previous 6.3. I also talked her into a regular urinalysis since I have not done the 24 hour test for the last year and have the jugs in my car all summer. :wink:

I also need to go to the dermatologist and have a skin biopsy as I have some lovely new thing happening to my skin. If you have read any of my previous posts, you know what I already suffer from, but this is different and new, lucky me.

Karen-

Hello! I am glad to see your appointment went well today. 10lbs, you go girl. I will keep you in my prayers for your derm visit. Hope all goes well.

Cherise

Let me warn you right now about 5HTP- it can cause some seriously intense dreaming. Not necessarily unpleasant dreams with regards to content, but I found the intensity of them to detract from the restfulness of my sleep. When I woke up, I felt like I had been out running around all night, but physically I was rested. I have heard similar things from others and I only notice this when I take the supplement so I think it is a fairly common thing. I felt like it did make a positive difference with respect to the condition I was taking it for, which is different than yours.

I was prescribed Lexapro when I was dealing with depression and it gave me about 20 pounds too. The only effective way I have found of dealing with my anxiety, tendencies towards depression, and weight is through intense bouts of anaerobic exercise 3-5 times per week. And a nice big joint after work sometimes works wonders (this is legal for me in CA, maybe not in your state).

Good luck!

-Jason

I have found exercise to help as well, and try to do that everyday. Ahhhh a joint, I have another pumper friend who partakes, but it is not legal in his state. I might tell him what I read, but he might go back to using and not sure I want to give him encouragement, as he has a lot at stake right now in his life.

I read too about the dreams, so I am not sure what I am going to do. I think I will make a visit to my internist and get a second opinion, as she is very into herbs and supplements.

Thanks for posting your reaction to the herb, all of them :slight_smile:

I was just reading about 5htp… they even have one mixed with st. johns wart together at henry’s

what doseage did doc. suggest for 5htp? I’m glad you have an endo. open to natural suggestions

Great on 10 pounds! my mom had been on antidepressants and usually no matter what the prescription has gained weight…

She suggested 100mg 2 times a day.

Bought my 5 HTP today, little nervous about taking it, imagine that :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Karen, I’m new to this site and have been reading over your discussion about 5 HTP. What exactly is this? I’m assuming it is a natural treatment for depression? I was diagnosed 25 years ago with type 1. Only one in my family, ever, as far as I know. Lucky me! : )

Yes it is a herbal supplement for anxiety/depression.

I have been on Effexor for 5 years and off it for 6 months and realize how much it helped me emotionally, (my serotonin levels must be off).

I have lose some of the weight I have gained while on Effexor and my metabolism has returned to normal, but my mental/emotional state is not good.

I just popped my first 5HTP supplement right now, I also posted websites above to do a little research. Like any drug or supplement we take the side effects scare the crude out of me.