Ever had a G6 that failed from extended high bg's?

There is a very new thread on FB that has 7 complaints that the G6 fails after as little as 4 hours of “high bg’s”. I don’t know just how high, but on that new thread there are already 7 people who say that their G6 fails when their bg’s get high for a while.

Anyone here on a G6 have that happen? And how high and for how long, before you feel the G6 failed due specifically to high bg’s?

I used the term high “bg’s” because I’m talking about true high bg’s, as shown by meter readings that confirm the sensor readings are similar.

BTW, my G5 does NOT suffer from sensor failure when I get high and I’m talking about 2 year’s worth of experience with the G5.

2 Likes

I haven’t had a G6 sensor fail from extended high BG yet but I’m not on the newest transmitter yet either so that could be a factor. I do get sensor errors if my BG is swinging wildly though. I guess the sensor thinks that it can’t be right if your BG’s do drop or raise really fast.

2 Likes

I use a g5 so no and I try to never alow highs of any height to hang around for long, but that is really interesting all the same, I wonder if the g5 has a limit also and or if its a sensor-sugar problem or an algorithm issue.

I’ve been using a G5 for 2 years and will go up into the 200’s from time to time and have seen no problem with the sensor going wonky or having a shorter life, but folks are sure complaining about the G6 when they get high. I just wish I knew how high.

Mine was reading 100 point off yesterday morning. I haven’t checked this morning. So far, the accuracy seems much worse than my G4 (although that was the 1st day of sensor use, and we have discussed that at length.).

Do you think its a safety thing? Like, they are programmed to fail and require replacement?

While more accurate at low bg, its possible that the thing isn’t as accurate at highs.

I haven’t experienced this (that I recall) with the G4 and G5, and so far I haven’t seen it with the G6. But then again I work hard not to sit at a high blood sugar level for too long. I imagine there could be a relationship between sensor life and average blood sugar level related to depleting the glucose oxidase on the surface of the sensor. But that’s pure speculation.

Not at all. I saw that happen with enlites, big-time. The higher I’d get, the quicker the sensor was spent. After all, there is a chemical (reagent,perhaps is what it’s called) that can function for only so long in the presence of glucose and the higher the concentration over time, the sensor’s working chemical gets depleted faster. Funny thing is I’ve not seen that happen to a G5 in 2 years.

1 Like

Can you explain how high? “High” is relative. Some folks here would regard 120 as high. For others (less likely to post here) its 600 or above.

I have had recently inserted (less than 12 hours) sensors dive low or high unexplainably rapidly and the readout goes into la-la land then stops reading out at all for a while. This might happen a few times over 5 hours. They all eventually straighten out by the end of of the first day. I don’t regard this as a sensor failure, just a common glitch in the first day of a G6 sensor.

You say the FB thread talks about failures in 4 hours - did they wait until half a day had passed to see if the sensor recovers and starts working reliably? It always straightens out for me.

1 Like

No, I can’t explain the details of the FB posters, and I already mentioned that I sometimes go up to the 200’s. You are asking the wrong person.

I have never had this problem and earlier in the year doing a different clinical trial, I was put into the high end range for an extended period of time and never lost my G6. I don’t know how high I got, as they remove the sensor and pump is off. They don’t want you to know what is happening. But after one session I was so high, I felt like throwing up, so it was up there. But with the IV going, it was very easy to bring the levels back into line. I never saw any drop outs with the sensors and when reviewing the download later I was well over 400 for a few hours. Not a fun place to be but so necessary to see if this stuff will do what it is suppose to do.

I have been using the G6 for almost a year now and love everything about it. I loved my G4 but wasn’t as accurate as I wanted. I was concerned at first because my pump would turn off based on sensor numbers. But I have finally learned to just let go and let it do it’s thing. I have never once had any issues, so for me, for me, even if it was off somewhat, it still works. And I am pretty sensitive to insulin, currently use 1:80 for corrections and have never had a problem.

2 Likes

I’ve had sensor failures during high BG events that last a few hours. High being over 400. That’s when I really need to know if my interventions are bringing it down.