G6 Horrible for me so far

I used my first G6 sensor on Feb 2nd and it failed 9 days later. Next one failed 8 days later and the next one 6 days later. I am getting replacements sent, but that’s not a solution as I keep telling Tandem/Dexcom. Have to call Tandem to do get a replacement. Last time they then transferred me to Dexcom who asked the standard questions but no help really. I want the darn things to work. I’m also using Basil IQ on the pump and it’s going crazy trying to deal with the wonky sensors. Constant suspend/resume cycles. As I’m typing this I just got a 66 on the sensor and BG tested at 123. I have an appointment with my endo this afternoon. Maybe they can get someone at Dexcom to address this. I’ve used the G5 for a couple years, so I’m not new to this rodeo. Any thoughts?

Are you well hydrated? Perhaps you can increase your water intake significantly and see what effect, if any, this has on your sensor longevity.

Am well hydrated. G5 sensors lasted 7 days and sometimes days beyond if I restarted them. I was hoping to get some kind of suggestions like this from Dexcom as G5 was fine and all went to hell starting on G6. Thanks.

My wife and I are trying to get 4 sensors per month thru Medicare but I have my doubts about the approval. I’ve heard others have done that. We want to build up a stash for when sensors fail. Last week she had issues, called on the weekend, and the replacement took 5 days to arrive–the same day her regular monthly order arrived.

When you say it is lasting only 7 days, what is it doing that it stops lasting???

If it is because of wonky readings, you have nothing to lose with trying several calibrations or restarts.

I just had one be off at 22 days ( not a smooth restart on it either) I calibrated it, then it seemed fine and by the end of the day it was off again, so I recalibrated it again.
The next morning it was off and so I thought it was a goner and calibrated it again and again a few hours later. It has now been behaving itself. ( at day 27)

Usually when my sensors go they start losing connection a lot in a day, so I decided I had nothing to lose to experiment with more calibrations. But you also have to be aware, too large of a calibration or too soon and you can get a non stop calibration prompt and then a restart is needed to get rid of it and have to start over.

That is another way to build your stash.

I don’t have a solution, I’m just gonna kinda reiterate something you already know - Sensor unreliability is much more dangerous on an automated pump. I recommend moving to manual calibration mode with your next G6 for safety. That may give you some idea of if the sensor hardware or software is responsible for this. My money is on hardware. I would stop performing restarts immediately. Restarts are for accurate sensors only.

If u are alluding to restarts, I do them, First sensor gave me only 4 days extra. I’m on my second sensor now, on day 11. Fingers crossed that it does better. Accuracy is SUPERB.

I have to agree with you on a couple of points. :slight_smile: Don’t be shocked.

1. sensor inaccuracies can be very problematic when used to control insulin delivery via a pump, not that an inaccurate sensor by itself can’t cause grief.
  2. Not only are sensor restarts only for accurate sensors, but I’d say that a sensor that has been performing poorly past day-2, for more than a full day, should be replaced prior to reaching day-10 (and call for a replacement, of course).

I think I pounded this last one into submission after it’s last restart with a bunch of calibrations, going strong now at day 28, spot on!!! But this sensor had been working accurately until it’s restart.

Sigh almost time for another restart and it’s probably going to try to screw with my TIR when I do.

Edit!!! Argggg, I noticed it needed some touch up Skin Tac added and just hit it on a door and off it came.

1 Like

Oh no! Reminds me of my major aggravations about 4-5 years ago during my hellish Enlite-wearing year. Out of a whole years worth of sensors I had about 3 that were accurate. They would come off from sweating in the summer heat. It was like I was cursed–the sensors that didn’t come loose were random-number generators. Those were my "argggg"moments!

1 Like

I am on the G6 and still check my BG once a day just to make sure it is giving me correct numbers. Anything can stop working correctly.

So I take it you won’t use a CGM for Auto Mode, or Control IQ? :slight_smile:

I plan to switch to the Tandem pump soon and will use the basal control feature.

But if “anything can stop working correctly”, how do you reconcile that with trusting a CGM to control your insulin flow via a pump? I love my Dex but I’m not going to have a CGM take control of my basals. Maybe when they become more reliable.

1 Like

I upgraded from G5 to G6. For me, I virtually NEVER had a problem with G5 sensors on my abdomen. To preserve “real estate” for my infusion sets, my endo has asked me to move my G6 to upper thigh and/or tricep area.

I DID have a problem with my second G6 sensor after only about 4 days. I think that it was a question of selecting a site that was slightly less “fleshy” coupled by being slightly dehydrated due to a cold and cold medications. Moving my sensor to a site where I could “pinch an inch” and being more cognizant of maintaining hydration has resulted in 3 or 4 successful 10-day sensor life. I hope that you are equally successful in getting 10-day performance.

Good luck,

John

I recently started using the G6, and so far everything has been fine, but a few times after I first inserted it needed to calibrate multiple times. My numbers could seem very low, but after a few corrections, it all went well.

My first few thoughts:

• Has your body compositions changed? Are you heavier or leaner than you were?
  • What is your activity like? Are you doing heavy physical labor or working out vigorously?
  • Is it possible you’ve developed scarring or lipomas that might prevent the G6 from reading correctly?
  • There are 3 per box, and you mentioned 3 sensors, so wondering if was just a bad box…

Try starting a new sensor like a traditional G4, using “No code” methods where it relies on manual calibration. Let me know if that helps.

this is my greatest fear. how can any diabetic spend money on an unreliable product and why did the FDA say that the G5 was safe to make medical decisions off of when the G6 is having so many problems. not only with the unit but with the company.

Welcome to TuDiabetes, @paul2

The G5 and G6 are different in so many ways. You can dose off of either, but you still need to calibrate the G5. I’ve never used the G6. I started wtih the G4 and am using the G5 now.